General Fiction posted May 7, 2018 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Book chapter

A chapter in the book Briarly Hall

Briarly Bloodline

by zanya




Background
No male heir at Briarly Hall is a matter of concern.When an Italian, Lady Laetixa drops baby Giovanni at Briarly the matter seems to be resolved. Squire's wife Lady Betsey however, now has doubts.
Next morning Lady Betsey arrived early at the nursery. The door was already ajar and Mrs Goodwood crooned softly to the infant.

'Yesterday, Lady Lucas was very curious as to the circumstances of our new arrival, Mrs Goodwood. However, I lied, just a little ..' Lady Lucas continued,  'till I speak with the Squire on his return from his European travel.'

Before Mrs Goodwood could respond, Butler Eames arrived with a letter for Lady Betsey.
'Ma'am , a missive from the Squire,' Eames said.

Lady Betsey was ill at ease. She removed the seal and read the contents.

My dearest Betsey,
Circumstances prevent my  return to Briarly for at least a few more weeks.
I shall be in touch with you very soon.
Sincerely yours
Squire

Lady Betsey felt alone now . Giovanni must receive the best possible care in the meantime.

The clip-clop of horses hooves could be heard at the entrance to Briary.
'Who the devil is that?', Butler Eames muttered,,'so early in the morning'.

Opening the large bronze front door of Briarly, Lady Mathilde stood waiting.

'Morning Eames,' Mathilde began,' see to it that the carriage is ready to take me to London for four o'clock. Now that we have got the vote there is a lot of work to be done. Campaigning for the suffrage all those years was one thing, but now that we have it officially, legal matters must be set in train'.

Lady Betsey overheard the conversation and hastened to greet Mathilde.

'Darling Mathilde, how good to see you'.
Noticing how pale Mathilde looked, Lady Betsey was cautious.
'I take it you are well Mathilde', Betsey began,'after all it was a long and bitter campaign'.

Just then a loud baby wail was heard coming from the nursery.
'Have you got Lady Lucas visiting again, mama with her offspring?' Lady Mathilde enquired nonchalantly.

Lady Betsey felt a sense of relief , not having to think of an excuse.
'How long will Lady Lucas be staying.. I may need to return to Briarly soon to work on legal papers,' Lady Mathilde said.

Relieved of having to furnish further explanations , Lady Betsey answered haphazardly,' who knows with Lady Lucas , my dear?'.

Walking to and fro from the nursery Mrs Goodwood overheard the womens' conversation.
She hurried past, accidentally dropping the baby's blue bonnet.

Lady Mathilde bent to pick it up.
'Why Mrs Goodwood, haven't seen you since my childhood, are Lady Lucas's grandchildren planning on taking up residence at Briarly? 
She looked closely at the blue embroidered bonnet.

Puzzled , she enquired, 'Does Lady Lucas have a new male heir, I understood the last grandchild was a girl named Lady Victoria?'

Not wishing to lie to Lady Mathilde, Mrs Goodwood was about to reply when Lady Betsey interrupted,' yes..yes..indeed ..but the new arrival is a little male heir ..Giovanni'.

'Giovanni,' Mathilde continued ,'why that is a name of Italian origin ..what British subject would wish to name their family heir after some italian count..? Just think how that might be frowned upon in Norfolk  in years to come.'

Mrs Goodwood noticed how Lady Betsey blushed a little.

'Darling Mathilde' she began'how nice to have you home ..will you be staying with us for long?'

'Why Mama, you were always happy just to see me when I arrived..why are you so concerned this time about my date of departure?'

Just then the carriage arrived at Briarly's entrance hall. Butler Eames assisted Mathilde with her suitcases. Embracing her mother, Lady Betsey , she assured her she would return soon.

Mrs Goodwood was within earshot.

'Lady Betsey,' she began ' time to tell the story about little Giovanni..no need to hide his origins ma'am..why you couldn't even tell your own flesh and blood'.

The two women had known and trusted each other for many years at Briarly Hall.

After the initial joy at Giovanni's sudden arrival, Lady Betsey began to feel less sure about the future.
'What shall I say , Mrs Goodwood?' Lady Betsey said with a sigh.

Mrs Goodwood secretly longed to be in Lady Betsey's position, holding her grandchild in her arms.

'Why, you must tell the truth, my Lady?'.

Mrs Goodwood didn't really know what the truth was but was eager to find out.

'When the Squire returns we shall tell the truth together,' Lady Betsey continued.

'And what is that then, the truth?' Mrs Goodwood pressed on ,' who is this baby..is he of the blood of Briarly?'

Lady Betsey cupped her face in her hands and whimpered a little.

'We will have to find out', Lady Betsey murmured.






 




Thanks to Google Images for 'Heir'
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. zanya All rights reserved.
zanya has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.