General Fiction posted April 9, 2018 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
They snack, they shop and they visit friends.

A chapter in the book My Brothers' Keeper

Shopping and New Friends.

by aryr



Background
Rachel needed quiet time, but ended up lost and Daniel rescued her, with help from Gray-the wolf. She stays for a while and confesses about her twin brother. They are enjoying each others company.
They chose a window table and requested coffee and she ordered a cinnamon bun while he went with an apple strudel. They watched people passing by as they as they sipped and ate. When finished they wandered over to the general store. They left the vehicle parked. It was a short walk to everything.

Rachel enjoyed browsing at first, then decided on some purchases which would become gifts for her family. She found blown-glass paper weights for her two brothers, a whale for Tim and a Statue of Liberty for Phillip. Because her mother enjoyed Christmas tree decorations she found a metal and crystal snowflake. And for her father she chose a small totem pole, he loved anything native American. She briefly wondered if he would love Daniel. She shook her head, wondering why she would even think something like that. She also spotted a small silver wolf, that she decided was perfect for Daniel.

Daniel in the meantime picked up a few grocery items he would need and thus gave her the privacy to make her purchases.

They dropped their shopping at the suburban. Then headed over to the B & B, hoping to see Todd or Phyllis. As they climbed the stairs to the wrap-around porch, Billy came around the corner. He smiled and waved.

"Todd is at the desk and I think Phyllis is in the kitchen. Becky, the cook went home early. Her daughter went into labor this morning and when she left she muttered something about water breaking. Afternoon Ma-am."

"Thanks Billy, catch you later." Daniel responded, and Rachel waved.

The tiny bells tinkled as the door opened and Todd looked up.

"Hey guys, nice to see you again. Phyllis is cleaning up, Becky had supper available for a couple of the clients that had ordered, but she had to leave, so Phyllis is it. I think she wants to have things set up for the morning since she will be doing the breakfast for the eight people here. Fortunately, tomorrow is bacon, scrambled eggs, toast, juice and bran muffins for those who want them. So, what can I do for you?"

"Oh, we just stopped to say hi. Do you still get your muffins from the diner? Can we go back and say hi to Phyllis?" Daniel asked.

"Sure, not a problem, follow me. Yep, we still get them at the diner. Fred is the morning chef, so he comes in at 4 am to do the baking. He makes us two dozen every day. I guarantee that they keep Phyllis and I regular. Hey, sweetie, we have company."

Phyllis turned, she was just putting dishes out for breakfast. She already had the loaf of bread out next to the toaster, the juice glasses and the cups and saucers. The self-serving coffee and hot water urns were ready for the morning.

"Well, hey guys. How are you both doing? Rachel when are you coming back to us?" She laughed as she asked, as if she knew the answer already.

"In a bit, Phyllis, in a bit. I promise."

"Do you guys want some tea or coffee or something stronger?" Todd asked.

"Not for me, I am driving us home. Rachel?" Daniel answered and turned to Rachel, who shook her head 'no'.

"Hey Daniel, we were going to grill our steaks tomorrow night for our supper, do you both want to bring two more steaks into town and join us. I'd suggest bringing Gray but seeing a wolf might frighten some of our guests." Todd asked.

Daniel looked at Rachel and raised his eyebrows. She in return nodded and smiled.

"It's a date. Do you need us to bring anything else?"

"Would it be too much trouble to ask you to whip up a batch of rolls. I can never get enough of them." Phyllis smiled.

"I can do that. I'll mix them up tomorrow, let them rise, then punch them down just before we come over. That way they will be ready for the oven." Daniel smiled in return.

"You can bake? Wow, what other secrets am I going to find out about you?" Rachel questioned.

"Oh, my goodness, if he decided to stay and bake, he could outdo Fred without a doubt. He could have his own business that would be an immediate success." Phyllis gushed.

"On that note, we are going to head out. I want Rachel to see how to get home from town and what landmarks to watch for. See you guys tomorrow."

"Bye, see you tomorrow." Rachel echoed.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.