General Fiction posted March 27, 2018 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Rachel wakes and meets Daniel.

A chapter in the book My Brothers' Keeper

She Wakes.

by aryr



Background
Rachel was lost, she was rescued by Daniel and the wolf-Gray, and now she wakes.
Rachel slept for a solid eight hours. She felt sure she had heard gentle music from time to time. And frequently she felt water to her lips. Initially she questioned the concept, but came to the conclusion that because she had drifted away so peacefully; her body was transitioning and adjusting. So, what she thought was water, wasn't really there. Heaven was beautiful.

Daniel had put the music on and settled with a book. The chair was cushioned, and he could rest his legs on the ottoman. If needed to he could sleep comfortably. Gray stretched out beside him on the scatter rug, watching Rachel.

It was mid-afternoon when she stirred and finally woke up. She was amazed that she was in a cozy bed in what appeared to be an apartment. Never had she ever considered that heaven would be this modern and so complete.

Suddenly the bed literally bounced. There standing beside her was the beautiful wolf who had found her, who had saved her from the snake.

"Awww, you poor thing, you should have stayed with me in the lean-to, then you wouldn't have gotten so wet and so cold. You would have been alive. But I am glad you are here, I didn't know they allowed animals in heaven. I thought you would go to an animal heaven." She said with a croaky voice.

"Good God, I have to pee! Do they have toilets here in heaven?" She asked the wolf.

"Good, you are awake. Here let me help you to the restroom. I'm Daniel and this big cuddly wolf is Gray."

Rachel whipped her head to the other side of the bed to see the most gorgeous man standing there, at least as far as she was concerned, he was gorgeous. She frowned immediately.

"I am not dead? This is not heaven? Where am I? Oh, yes please, a restroom." She squeaked as she threw back the covers.

Daniel reached for her elbow to offer support and directed her around the end of the bed to the wooden panel that separated the bathroom from the bedroom.

"Take your time, yell out if you need me, I'll be waiting right here. Oh, I washed your clothes and they are folded and on the shelf. Have a shower and freshen up and if you wish you can throw your undies in the machine with your towel. I also put an oversize t-shirt on the shelf in case you wanted to wait until your undies were clean. Whatever you chose."

"I can't believe it is as late as it is. Were you the one giving me water to drink?" Did I have a temperature? I remember getting terribly warm at times. Oh, now this is heaven, an empty bladder." She smiled from the toilet.

"Yep, I gave you water, every time you stirred, and sometimes a little broth, I tried to get a little something into you. The times you probably felt warm, was when Gray decided he had to sleep next to you for warmth." He smiled as he recalled the sight of the wolf scooting to get as close as possible.

"I found your identification, so I called the B & B, they have your vehicle and the ranger had organized a search party, Todd was calling him to call it off. I also called your emergency person, your brother Tim and explained as much as I knew."

Rachel was silent as she sat on the toilet, but tears were running down her face. She slowly stood and went to wash her hands. It was then that she realized how dirty they were and looking into the mirror she saw that her face matched. She cried harder.

"Thank you for doing all those things. How did Tim take it? I just realized how awful I look, and you put me in your bed like this. Oh my God! I'm taking a quick shower. Thanks for the t-shirt. I'll be done in a minute."

"Take as long as you want, there is plenty of hot water. Tim was shocked but okay when I explained you were not injured. He is waiting for your call when you are done, then he will call your parents. He was going to call after I called, but not knowing how you were, decided to wait. Don't worry about the bed, I'll change it while you are in the shower."

She soaped up and rinsed, shampooed and rinsed and then just stood under the hot water. She was no longer cold, but it felt so good. After drying she put her towel and undies in the machine, added the soap and turned it on.

When she stepped around the wall, she found track pants and socks on the bed. Daniel was at the stove.

"It's just homemade soup and some French bread for now, I don't want anything heavy in your system to start. Two days of berries and sips of water was not much. Great you found the pants and socks." He smiled.

"Thank you so much, for everything you have done. Well, the pants and socks are a little big, but they are warm and comfy. Where is my buddy?" She looked around for the wolf.

"Once he saw that you were okay, he went out for a run, he only went out twice while you slept and that was out and back in, quick bathroom breaks. He'll be back. Come have your soup."

He placed her bowl on the table along with a basket of bread. In his place he had a small plate of cheese. He gave her a glass of water as well as a cup of steaming tea. He had a large mug of tea and the condiments in front of his place.

"I like my tea with a good spoonful of honey, but I have sugar, milk, lemon. I hope you don't mind tea, I usually only have coffee at breakfast. I could make you some."

She smiled, "No, tea is fine, it's actually my favorite hot drink and I love it with honey, thanks."


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.