General Fiction posted February 23, 2018 Chapters:  ...35 36 -37- 38... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The week leading up to the midterm exam

A chapter in the book The Life of Mrs. Armstrong

Midterm Dread.

by aryr



Background
Mrs. Armstrong comes out of retirement, and decides teaching has its own unique challenges.

Sunday was an uneventful day and Monday followed, somewhat faster than anticipated.

As previously planned, everyone reviewed the last week work in the morning and then had their test in the afternoon. It was refreshing that the marking and grading went well. It was obvious that the diagrams and last chapter had been reviewed.

I asked them to read the chapters on skin and the endocrine system, which we would start on tomorrow and continue through to Friday's midterm.

"Will we get chance for a review of everything we have learned so far? Is this week's work included on the midterm?"

"I promise that there will be time to review, we will probably do that on Thursday, and no the skin, the endocrine and the nervous systems will not be on the midterm. Everything else is fair game. Now, a couple of the diagrams are what I call 'double diagrams', meaning that two systems are on the same diagram; but I cannot tell you which ones."

The week went well, as they learned that skin was actually, considered an organ, which acted as a thermostat for the body and provided tactile stimulation. The endocrine system were glands that controlled so many of our bodies functions by means of hormones. Glands such as the pancreas and the thyroid.

They learned that shivering created heat and increased metabolism. That sweating was the body's way of cooling down. They chuckled when I shared the quote that I had learned in nursing school. 'Horses sweat, men perspire, and women glowed.'

I was glad that this was a class of young adults rather than hormonal teenagers, when it came time to discuss ovaries and testicles and the appropriate actions. I did remind them that whatever name they gave to their personal body parts, were not the names to be used on either the tests or professionally. It was however, wise to know what some of those names were, just in case they received blank looks during their screening questions. Laughter filled the room.
A wide variety of names were created-Mary, wee Willy, the rooster, buttercup, the thingy, Peter were just a few offered by the students. I suggested they get comfortable with using vagina and penis.

The typical question was asked, one that had been asked for many years in the past and would be asked for many years into the future.

"Why do we have to have menstrual cycles? You know periods, the messys, the curse. Why us girls, why not the guys?"

I drew to their attention that the guys were just not equipped to deliver babies, whereas females were. I then explained that the monthly cycles were our bodies way of providing a cushion for the baby, should we get pregnant and if we didn't then it was simply flushed away from our body. This of course, produced raunchy comments from the guys.
I just couldn't resist playing a joke on them.

"Now for the guys, I think I need to warn you that modern medicine is working on having the men carry the baby and then deliver it by cesarean birth. This would mean abdominal scars for every delivery, and the guys would still have to go through labor But it would also allow those who didn't want to work to stay at home to become 'dadmoms', freeing up the women to be the provider."

Almost, all of the guys moaned and groaned at the thought and settled down. And the girls all caught my smile after the comment.
Thursday crept up faster than anyone expected. We finished the two systems in the morning and then reviewed through the afternoon. I suggested that they only refreshed the diagrams this evening.

They would have until 1300 for the midterm, if needed. Since they were going to be dismissed when they finished the exam there was no need to bring their text books. I did remind them of the reading assignment for the weekend and that there would not be a test on Monday.
Friday morning came. Everyone arrived on time and were sitting quietly. The air was so tensed and stressed, one could literally cut it with a knife. Several students were pale, only a couple were flushed, but everyone was quiet. I smiled as I recalled seeing the same features on my fellow nursing students just before an exam. I hoped that I was projecting a sense of peaceful comfort rather than doom.

I gently reminded them to read through it like they did with their test. I explained that there were two different exams being circulated. This was designed to reduce the temptation to cheat. Pencils were provided. Any question that made them stumble was to be left and then they could come back to after all other questions were done. It was better to miss one or two if needed than miss ten because of time.

I wished them all good luck, passed out the papers and had them start at 0845. For the first fifteen minutes, pages rustled as they read. Then silence started to prevail.

As they worked through their exam, I was preparing the test for the second Monday. It would include the nervous system, skin, the endocrine system and diseases that affected some of the systems. There would be three diagrams, that included the three systems.

On Monday I would temporarily give them back their midterm paper with the noted errors and corrections, strictly for reviewing. These exams had to become part of their permanent files.
It was 1130 before the first student was finished, he shook his head in doubt as he turned in his paper. Shortly after a few more finished and departed. By 1245 there were four people left and I could see that they were all working on the last page which involved the essay answer. Only one needed close to the full time. At 1255 he turned his paper in.

I cleaned up the room, locked the classroom door and walked out of the building at 1330. I would have a busy weekend and I wanted a head start.

I decided not to attempt to mark any papers on the way home, but I did separate them into the two groups. Marking would be so much easier by doing this. Each exam came with its own grading sheet.

When I got home I changed into something both comfortable and relaxing and after making a pot of tea started in on the papers. I worked until 1830 before stopping. I rubbed my eyes, pinched the bridge of my nose, rotated my shoulders a couple of time. I was ready to stop. I needed supper. I did one last count before leaving my desk area. I had marked seventeen of the thirty papers.

I called for my pizza and sat back with my last cup of tea, thinking that I would be able to get the rest of them done in the morning.

Within forty-five minutes I had my delivery. It was piping hot and I poured myself a glass of red wine. I know, it was a little foolish to have wine with pizza but that was what my mind and body were calling for. I managed three pieces before I acknowledged that it beat me. It was okay because I was one of those weird people who enjoyed cold pizza for breakfast. There were no dishes to do so I wrapped the rest and stored it in the fridge.

I had some TV calling out to me. By 2200 I was ready for bed, so after a quick shower, Wiggles and I snuggled in. Saturday morning, I did indeed treat myself to cold pizza and then tackled the papers. By two, I was finished. I decided that I would putter around doing little chores for the day.

Sunday was a sleep-in day for me, it was 0900 before I rolled over and decided to get up. I do believe even Wiggles enjoyed the extra time in bed. I didn't have anything planned, so after a few weeks of going all out, I was bewildered as to what to do to entertain myself. I smiled as I thought about doing absolutely nothing. It was like I was refreshing retirement. At that thought I had to laugh.





The next few chapters will be short ones, I just like to forewarn you.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.