General Fiction posted February 22, 2018 Chapters:  ...16 17 -18- 19... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The last trip home for these children.

A chapter in the book Black Blizzard, White

Christian and Willow

by charlene7190



Background
While Fred and the kids are holed up in an old shed during the blizzard, two of his kids are fighting for their lives during a South Dakota Blizzard.
Christian Pearson was the firstborn of Alfred and Etta and at 17 he was most like his father. His disposition was quiet yet strong. He never said much and never complained but worked hard on the farm to help his parents and his siblings.

This particular day started out warm, really warm for November and all of the kids were running around in shirtsleeves. The girls including Willow who was 16 were in plain cotton dresses having removed their old black stockings and high ankle boots. What a relief to be shed of those itchy, scratchy old wool leggings if only for a short while.

His father had asked him to drive the mile and a half to town that morning to pick up some supplies. Christian was always happy to oblige since he got to take the old truck and visit some of the town folk. That particular morning Willow wanted to go with him. She had some cream to sell at the Creamery/Locker plant for her mother and Willow LOVED to shop at the local drug store. It was window shopping but she would carefully plan out everything she was going to buy someday even down to the price of each item. She could "sample" a little perfume from tiny bottles, check out all the cosmetics and look at the newest hairdos in the Hollywood magazines. She and Christian piled in to the truck and after much moaning and groaning coming from the engine, it started and they were on their way.

The dirt road was bumpy and rutted but the kids had been down it a hundred times so they knew every bump, every hole. It was an adventure holding the cream that Etta had saved after separating it from the milk. Not one drop should be wasted. It was liquid white gold to the family and that quart of cream was worth almost a dollar at the local Locker Plant.

That was their first stop and Willow carefully took the old metal can in to be weighed and inspected.

Jonathan Wilhelm, known as Johnny was behind the counter and Willow turned ten shades of red. She wanted to faint right out because Johnny was the most handsome boy in town and he flirted with her, a LOT. He liked her and she was head-over-heels crazy about him but then so were all the girls in the county.

"I, I, I brought some cream to sell."

That was all she could say. She was wishing now she had dressed a little nicer and combed her hair and maybe put on a little powder. She just knew her nose was shiny. A shiny nose!!!!! Her heart was pounding as it did whenever she was around him.

"I'll take it and get it weighed Willow. You sure look pretty today, like you been out getting a little sun."

Oh Lord it was because she was blushing so bad.

Johnny came back with .97 cents and her empty can.

"You going to the dance on Saturday night Willow?"

"I expect so Johnny." Why couldn't she say anything clever like Virginia did? Why couldn't she flirt back? He was the most eligible, most good looking boy in the county and he was flirting but she knew she would give away her feelings if she said anything more.

"Well I'll see you there. Maybe we could dance a dance or two."

"Maybe" and with that she grabbed the money and ran out the door. Where was that worthless brother of hers? He could have helped her, he was friends with Johnny.

They spent the whole morning shopping, visiting the stores, They stopped at the Five and Dime, the drug store, the Gambles store and finally the grocer. Willow had to pick up a couple of things there, an onion, some coffee and a bag of salt.

"That's $1.05 Willow," said the kindly old gentleman who ran the grocery store, Mr. Robbins.

"Oh dear, Mr. Robbins, I don't have that much, I need to put something back."

"How much do you have today Willow?"

"I have .97 cents."

"Well you just take this stuff and bring me the rest next time you're in town."

"I appreciate that Mr. Robbins. Thank you and I won't forget."

With that Christian and Willow climbed in the old truck and headed toward home. It was clouding up and the wind was starting to blow. The temperature was dropping fast and they were not prepared for cold weather.

About a half mile out of town it started snowing and visibility was becoming really bad. Christian now had to try and follow the old dirt road by feel while trying to miss the ruts. Willow took the old blanket that Etta had thrown over the back of the torn and worn bench seat and wrapped it around herself. It did little to keep out the wind which was whistling through the truck. She looked at Christian, calm, collected, quiet Christian and she could see the fear growing in him and she knew they were in trouble.

They were about a half mile from home with visibility near zero, the wind blowing straight out of the NorthWest. That's when the truck slipped off the dirt road and wound up in a ditch.

They lurched to a halt and while Willow sat quietly, Christian got out to see what he could do. Climbing back in the truck he tried rocking it out of the ditch but to no avail.

"We'll have to try and get home Willow. We're gonna have to walk."

"Cristian, NO! We can't get out in this stuff, you know that. We'll get lost for sure."

"We got no choice Willow." With that Christian, who was already cold climbed out of the cab of the truck and held the door open for Willow. She did not budge.

"I won't go Christian. Please stay here. Someone will come looking for us."

"Willow, the drifts are going to cover this old truck. We're only about a half mile from home. We need to go now."

"I can't Christian." That's all she would say. She turned her back on Christian and curled up in the old blanket.

"OK, Willow, I'm going to go get help. You stay with the truck. I'll be back for you."
And with that he was gone.

The wind howled and seemed to actually change direction from time to time. It must have blown between 40 and 50 mph. Willow shook violently as early evening descended on the truck and her feet were numb along with her hands and face. Christian may have made it home, maybe not but she knew this was no place for any human or creature to be right now.

Before long Willow started to feel a sense of calm, a warm sensation coming over her and she thought it was not so bad after all. She quit shaking and was feeling really hot. Then she heard a voice at first only a muffled sound coming from somewhere in the storm but it got clearer and closer. Then she realized it was Johnny and he was calling her name! She opened the door for him. And the wind howled and screamed.

"Johnny is that you?"

"Yes Willow it's me, Johnny. Boy you are the prettiest girl here. Can I have this dance now?"

"I thought you'd never ask Johnny, of course you may. Should I take off my shoes? They're brand new, I just ordered them from the Wards catalogue."

"You do whatever you want to do sweet girl. Come dance with me before the music ends."

So she stepped out of the truck, barefoot and she danced in the arms of her sweetheart to Frank Sinatra singing "I'll Never Smile Again". He held her tightly and they danced like there was no tomorrow and she was warm in his embrace, this young girl of 16 just beginning her life, this South Dakota prairie girl. And tomorrow was denied.

Christian did not get very far. He had on a light jacket which quickly became ice coated. He was fighting the wind as it whipped him like a rag doll so he decided to turn back to the truck, wherever the truck was. He did what he thought was a 180 degree turn going by the direction of the wind but the wind was fickle and playing games with him. It changed direction periodically because it was what was known as an cyclone blizzard and it was not long before Christian could go no further.

He could not find the truck which by now was his only hope. His tears froze to his face because he knew what a desperate situation he was in and there was nothing left but to cry. He fell face first in the accumulating snow, trying to get up once or twice. He called out to Willow hoping she and the truck were close by. He didn't know if she heard him nor could he know how close he was.

He was no longer cold and thoughts about his life on the farm came rushing to mind as he lay there now in deepening drifts. What the heck, he had a loving family and he sensed their presence as they gathered around him to protect him as they always had. He needed to have his family near him. He burrowed in the accumulating snow drift and it was a haven for him from the howling wind.

There was his father, Alfred, tall, thin but with an inner strength that Christian had always admired and emulated. He saw his mother Etta, sweet, long suffering, the rock of the family and his brothers and sisters. His mom was holding his tiny baby brother and they were smiling. They were saying it's OK, it will be just fine son. We will be here and we all love you Christian. And with that he closed his eyes against the white darkness.






Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. charlene7190 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
charlene7190 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.