General Fiction posted February 22, 2018 Chapters:  ...15 16 -17- 18... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Betty, Lloyd and Alfred find shelter against the storm

A chapter in the book Black Blizzard, White

The Blizzard

by charlene7190



Background
This is going to be a long night for all of them. The South Dakota blizzard usually claimed lives and after it barreled through the countryside, the prairie folks picked up and moved forward.
Alfred started to take stock of what was available to them. There was, of course the old rusted metal parts from an old pump, a long black rubber belt that had broken and lay under the machinery, several other old machines that he was unfamiliar with and lots of dead grass from the animals that made their nests in the building.

"Betty, what's in the sack hon?" Alfred was still looking around.

"Papa I have a whole sack of cow pies and I have three fish I caught today. That's it." Betty was close to tears.

"Well we can't leave now until the storm passes, hopefully it's a quick moving one. But I think if we hunker down, we'll be OK."

Alfred started to pick up some of the old metal pieces, looking for something he could use in which to build a fire.

"Here, help me Lloyd. We need to get this piece of metal closer to the corner where we're gonna be stayin'."

The metal piece Alfred was tugging at was solid, thick and had been a cover for something long gone. It must have been made of pure iron, it was SO heavy.

"OK, Mr. Pearson but why do we need this old piece of iron over there?" wondered Lloyd.

"Lloyd, son we need to start a fire but the good Lord knows we don't want to burn this shack down so we'll build us a fire pit."

"What about matches? How can we start the fire without matches?"

Alfred pulled three kitchen matches out of his pocket. He had a habit of chewing on the wooden end of those and always had a few handy. The two of them struggled with the heavy metal cover until they got it over behind the other piece of machinery that would be their protection from this monster raising its ugly head.
And Betty said a silent prayer of thanks.

Alfred handed out the things Etta had packed inside the quilt and made everyone as comfortable as possible. Betty put on the heavy jacket and gloves, Lloyd took a pair of gloves also and they wrapped up in the quilt while Alfred started a fire in the firepit. He used some of Betty's fuel along with some splintered wood he found around the floor.

"Mr. Pearson," asked Lloyd, "why don't you just use some of that old grass the varmints brought in to start the fire. It would be a lot easier?"

"And what would Scout eat then son?"

What a smart man, Alfred. At the moment both kids were grateful he was there but it also seemed he was telling them it was going to be awhile before they could get home. All of a sudden three fish didn't seem like much.

The small fire was really welcome while the blizzard roared outside rattling the very building itself. There were times when Betty wondered what they would do if the building collapsed. They would die. She saw cattle in the fields on her way over and knew it would not go well with them. If there was anyone or anything out in this storm, it would not go well with them either.

Lloyd got up from sitting around the small fire and went to see about Scout. Scout waited patiently by the opening between the back wall and the piece of machinery that was their protection. Lloyd had saddled him up for the ride so now he took the saddle off Scout's back and shook out the blanket that had been under it. He wrapped it around Scout's shoulders and down his back. It made a fairly warm cover for the old guy. Lloyd was glad now he'd grabbed that one instead of the smaller one. Scout would be OK, at least that's what Lloyd told himself. He brushed Scout off with his hand just to get some of the dampness away from him and Scout waited, knowing Lloyd was there.

There was no light except for the little fire and Alfred knew they had to keep that going so he decided they would take turns watching the fire while the others slept.

"Betty, you need to keep awake daughter and feed the fire so it don't go out. I'm gonna take a little rest and then I'll relieve you so you can get some sleep. Are you good with that?"

"Yes papa, I'll be sure and keep the fire going. Lloyd you need to take a nap too."

And Lloyd and Alfred agreed so they both closed their eyes while Betty kept watch, staying awake because this was her fault and she wasn't going to let anything happen to her heroes.

Betty fed the little flame for about two hours until Alfred awoke. He had been able to rest if fitfully. It was dark now and he thought it must be after 6p.m. gauging the time he got to the shelter. The wind was still raging and Alfred knew it would be like this all night and maybe in to tomorrow. He also knew that the snow would be 6 feet deep in places or deeper and it was going to be a real struggle to get home.

Home. He was sure his family would be OK. There was wood for the stove, some anyway and food in the pantry. He knew the kids would sleep all together in the big parlor by the pot belly stove and he knew his love, his wife Etta would be just fine but he was concerned about the two older kids that had gone to town in the old truck.

And the wind screamed out in its pain, its anger. It was as though if it could not find peace, nothing would and the wind would make sure of that. Nothing would remain as it was.

Alfred took over the watch while Betty crawled under the blanket with Lloyd. They snuggled there but there were no thoughts of the physical situation they were in at the moment, their thoughts were about survival, about making it through this blizzard, this South Dakota blizzard. Their attention was drawn to the howling wind, the snow hitting the building, coming in the cracks, the life and death situation they were in.

Lloyd knew he still loved Betty and he knew in his heart they were destined to be together even though if they didn't make it, it might be throughout eternity.

Betty could not sleep and soon she was back sitting with her father and then Lloyd joined them around the pathetic little fire that was all that kept them from that fierce, obscene attack going on outside. Like a living, breathing entity, the storm would stop for a minute, take a deep breath, renew its strength and determination and howl again.

"Papa, I'm so sorry you and Lloyd had to come find me."

"It's OK honey. We'll be fine, we just need to be patient. It'll die out here pretty soon."

"When Daddy? When can we go home?" Betty was again on the verge of tears.

"Soon sweetheart, very soon now." But the wind made that statement pretty unconvincing.

Lloyd went to check on Scout. He was cold but OK for the time being. Scout was an old horse but never a nuisance. He could be stubborn but he seemed to sense when Lloyd was serious about something and this seemed to be a good time for patience. Lloyd found several discarded birds' nests, shook the dirt off of the grass, made sure that was all that was in there and fed Scout some. They had melted a little snow and he made sure Scout had a drink. Lloyd was hungry but trusted Alfred to know when to fix the catfish Betty caught. Lloyd had been hungry most of his life so it was not a new feeling but almost a comforting one. Being hungry meant he was alive and gave him some incentive to keep going.

They spent the night wrapped in the blanket, sitting by the fire making sure it stayed lit.





This is going to be a long night for all of them. The South Dakota blizzards usually claimed lives and after it barreled through the countryside the prairie folks picked up and moved forward, ever so slowly.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. charlene7190 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
charlene7190 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.