Biographical Non-Fiction posted March 23, 2018 Chapters:  ...51 52 -53- 54... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
It's Not Over 'Til You're Dead.

A chapter in the book The Little Dog That Wouldn't Let Go

Big Brother Sticking Its Nose In.

by Sankey




Background
We had a lot more success with the former State-funded ENABLE Programme that usually let you know how long before you would get the needed supply of equipment or service. Ch 53(Word)
Sometimes it does not pay to be honest. Not that it is a matter of lying about things. It is just that we need to occasionally get our brain in gear before we open our mouths.You have read about all the recent dramas we have had with my wife and her hospitalization and so on.

Just when you think most of the dramas are over, this new kick from "big brother" gets applied.

I guess I don't have to say a whole lot as you can see the picture I have chosen. If it is puzzling you, the fact is, I lost my Driving License in February 2018.

I have been driving for nearly 50 years. In my early days, I had my accidents and traffic infringements.  The last "infringement" I received was a speeding ticket more than 13 years ago, prior to the M7 opening and its linking to the M2 Motorway. Abbott Rd was the exit road from the M2.

Abbott Rd was 2 lanes each way, giving the expectation of a faster speed. However down one side of the road were 60km Speed signs, but they were not posted in the other direction. You guessed it! I was speeding 10kms over the signed speed posted ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD!

Louise got the ticket, as the car is registered to her. Firstly, I had to write to the old RTA* (Now RMS+) to assert I was the driver. They re-issued the ticket to me and I then wrote and explained why I was "speeding" as above. The powers that be looked at my record and seeing it was clear of any misdemeanours, they let me off.

Now, back to the future.

I had an eye test at the Ophthalmologist's rooms. He stated as I have known for years, my eyesight is bordering on ineligible to drive.  He even said:
"Down the road, you need to have a cataract operation but not for some time."

Silly me goes to the Optician (where you get new spectacles made if needed) and she says the same thing as the eye specialist. She also suggests next time I see the Ophthalmologist I mention cataracts again. 

It amazed me that months apart the cataract question should suddenly be brought forward, needing attention much sooner, in her opinion.

Now comes the big confession, totally unnecessary but being the Foot In Mouth Man I am, I went ahead and proceeded to insert said foot. I told the Optician I had double vision, which is true.  My vision from the two eyes does not meet as most eyes do to form one image. If it had caused me problems for almost 50 years, how come I had not run off the road or had more accidents that I have ever had?

The fact is, I have only ever used my right eye, the stronger of the two, for driving.  I can see with both eyes but to see through both I actually have to concentrate to look with both eyes, simultaneously. Having told the Optician and explained as above I only use the right eye for driving, I thought all was well and she took what I said with my assurances there was no problem. Oh, oh! Not so!

To back up a little, Louise and I both got letters from RMS+  for the doctor to fill out regarding our fitness to drive.
I got mine because of my Sleep Apnoea and Diabetes. Louise got hers for "neurological" reasons. Louise has Cerebral Palsy but has driven competently for years, with hand controls. No traffic infringements on her record.

Our doctor filled in our forms (did it on the computer) and sent them off. Sometime later, in the mail comes the request for me to do a driving test. I queried the doctor who assured me he gave me the "all-clear." It then hit me that someone else had got me into trouble. We still don't know who it was but we suspect it was the optician and my stupid confession.

It was a wet day on the day of my driving test. I was as nervous as a cat on hot bricks. To cut a long story really short, because of a whole lot of stupid things I did, my driver's license was withdrawn. One of the silliest was something I have never, ever done before...I breached the School Zone over the legal speed. There were other things, all, I believe due to my nervousness.

As you have been reading, Louise has not been in the car with me for more than 3 months now. I had become used to being alone all this time. I should not have bothered side-glancing at the instructor to see him wildly writing things on his board.

So now I am back on a Learner's License for six months. The instructor assures me if I pass the test in that time I can go back on my full license. This means I won't have to go through the Red "P's" and the Green "P's" all the youngsters must do. 

It still amazes me that they took so much notice of a Medical Block put on my license, I suspect from the Optician who I think demanded the driving test, without officials considering my exemplary driving record for all this time.

This has put us in some real bother. I cannot drive without a licensed driver with me. I have to either get groceries delivered or my licensed friend to come with me to the shops. Louise, as you all know, from the story up till now, can still not get into or out of our car. So no licensed drivers available whenever I need them.

I know I am not dead but in a lot of ways, it feels like it. As this book draws to a close, hopefully, we will need to do a new edition someday with better news.

                                                                                             THE END

 



Recognized


CPAP is Continuous Positive Airways Pressure Machine explained in more detail earlier in this book.*RTA- Roads and Traffic Authority; +RMS- Roads and Marine ServicesThe picture is of my Licence to Drive I have had for more than 50 years and my recently "acquired??" Learner's "License"
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sankey All rights reserved.
Sankey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.