General Fiction posted February 17, 2018 Chapters:  ...31 32 -33- 34... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A pleasant surprise.

A chapter in the book The Life of Mrs. Armstrong

Wednesday Evening

by aryr



Background
Mrs. Armstrong comes out of retirement, and decides teaching has its own unique challenges.
On Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, we continued studying the nervous system. Learning about the actual action and path of transmission was met with eagerness and intrigue.

Sarah came to visit as planned on Wednesday evening and I went to Roni's. She was, of course, driving Darlene insane. It was difficult to remember that she had been given permission to yell at her mother, to make sure she did what she was supposed to and not to, run her ragged. I suggested within a few minutes of arriving for her to have a hot, sudsy, relaxing bath. I don't think I have ever seen anyone leave a room so fast.

Roni reported that she was transferring very well and did not use the hoyer lift at all. She was taking her pain medicine before she went to bed so she would get a good night's sleep. She was feeling a lot better, but she included that she would feel better when she got the cast off.

We talked about the situation regarding Andrea. She was glad that I had made myself available to help her. We both wished that her uncle would relocate so she could return home. Of course, Roni was not aware of the close relationship between the two brothers. She chuckled at the thought that I had gotten two very devoted Catholics to not only tell but live a white lie.

During our visit, we consumed several cups of tea. We heartily laughed as we made it to the toilet. We may be old, but we still had our skills. I guess once a nurse, always a nurse. We made it back to the living room just as Darlene finally came out of her bathroom looking relaxed.

She made it a nightly event to skype with her children and of course, grandma Roni always got involved. Tonight, I was included, and it was so enjoyable to watch the children's excitement at having a larger audience. I was having such a good time, it was time to leave before I realized it. It was a short drive home and I secretly hoped that Andrea had gone to bed. It was late, and I was tired. Unfortunately, Lady Luck was not smiling on me tonight. She was wide awake and seemed anxious about something.

"Good you are home. I didn't want to call you at Mrs. Trenton's because I knew it could wait, but it was so hard not to call. I could hardly wait until you got home. Okay, quick sit down. My mom told me that my uncle is leaving Friday after supper. She told him he could have the bedroom stuff and he was glad of her offer. Apparently, his rooming house was being closed, so he came to our place until he could find an apartment and get some furniture."

She had to pause to breath.

"He is still going to come over on Saturdays for supper and to learn some cooking from my mom. If I can find a small slow cooker, I will probably get him one. Oh, and one of the ladies in the building is going to a nursing home, so he can get her couch, a recliner, the TV, her kitchen table and chairs and her kitchen stuff. I think she had some trouble peeing the bed, so he doesn't want that. His apartment is about a mile away. Her son is going to toss anything he doesn't take."

"That sounds good. I am glad things are working out. You will be able to go home soon. I will miss you, and if you want to come over to make cookies, you can."

"That sounds great and I will, as long as you are sure. My dad is going to go with him tomorrow and they will move the stuff over from her apartment. And then on Friday he will help him move the bedroom stuff. My mom has ordered my new furniture to be delivered Saturday morning, so I can go home then. She can ask her friend to come over and pick up my stuff here."

"There is no need for that, I will run you home Saturday morning. How about we go shopping tomorrow after school to find those slow cookers. I know where you can get them at a decent price and they come with a basic cookbook. I am sorry, but I am tired, I am going to bed."

"OMG, it is late, I am off to bed as well. See you in the morning."

We retired. I suspect we were both asleep within minutes. Thursday would be a long day.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.