General Fiction posted February 12, 2018 Chapters:  ...27 28 -29- 30... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Test time again and hopefully a good weekend.

A chapter in the book The Life of Mrs. Armstrong

The Test of All Tests.

by aryr



Background
Mrs. Armstrong comes out of retirement, and decides teaching has its own unique challenges.
With everyone seated, I handed out the tests and repeated the same instructions. Because this one covered a larger amount of information it was obviously much longer. There were three pages on diagrams to label and forty-five questions and a surprising short essay question. I addressed this essay question as I walked the aisles, informing them that they had a general question with three options and that their essay should reflect on one of those three options.

Moans and groans flowed through the class. I further explained that this was in preparation to the midterm which did have an essay question on it. They were given the freedom to get coffee or drinks as desired, but to use caution because restroom breaks were not allowed. When completed they were free until after lunch. And they started at 0900.

As per usual, I worked on the test for next week, knowing that the week after would be their midterm exam. I felt confident at this point that they would do well. It was 1115 before the first student was done. He was shaking his head as he left. At 1200, I advised the five remaining students that time was up. No one, I noted had left feeling confident.

I decided that my plan of action would be to mark all the diagrams first, then go back and do the questions, leaving the essay answers for the last of the three parts.

There were lots of spelling mistakes but only four errors. I managed to get half way through the questions before lunch time was over. They returned refreshed but looking rather dismal. I advised them that the afternoon was being devoted to reviewing and they all looked relieved.
I threw out questions about everything that had been covered from the start of class. I specifically randomly picked students. This group knew their stuff. Like a lot of people, they could talk about a topic, but to write it down, became a different challenge. At 1500 I released them and reminded them to reread the chapter that they had learned this week.

"What about reading for next week?"

"Let's just leave next week until next week, I want you to feel good about what you have learned this week."

"So, we really did bad on the test? That's what you are saying, isn't it?"

"Well first I changed the marking plan for this one, I have marked all of the diagrams, again there are spelling mistakes but only four errors, so no, you all did well. I only have half of the questions checked and they are great. Over the weekend I will finish the questions and do the essay parts. You all looked so unhappy, I just want you to all feel better about yourselves. Take the time to reread it and you will find that you know more than you thought you did. Off you go. No homework today."

When we got home, I suggested that after supper we make the cookies instead of in the morning, so they would be ready for the boys tomorrow.

"But I didn't get the things to make them. You shouldn't have to feed them as well as me. So, I wasn't going to bother this week." She argued.

"The boys deserve their treats, just let them know it is not a weekly thing, besides we will have our stock as well. That way you can catch up on anything you need to do tomorrow before your visit home and then just rest on Sunday after church."

She saw the wisdom of my suggestion and agreed.

Supper was a meatloaf that I had made earlier as one of my premade meals. I cut up and cooked fresh potatoes and green beans. I even had a small container of beef dripping to make gravy. While everything was either reheating or cooking, we got the cookie stuff out and organized. I let Andrea copy out the recipes for both batches.

After eating we cleaned up and put all the ingredients for the first batch together and slide two of the six trays into the oven, then cleaned the mixing bowls.

"Have you ever thought of having a dishwasher? It would make life so much easier for you, with all these dishes to do." Andrea asked.

"I did have a dishwasher but when this condo was constructed, I chose not to have one. I enjoy the time it takes me to do dishes because it gives me time to think about the day, or things I have to do, as well as things that are bothering me. It is relaxing and doesn't take much thought to do, therefore relieving my mind to think of something else. Besides I have been told it is good for your hands." I laughed.

When we were finished, we had completed six trays of each kind. I had a few clean and empty tin boxes, which I offered to the boys as cookie jars, Andrea was delighted.

Saturday morning was a sleep-in morning for us. Instead of getting up at 0600 we slept until 0800. Andrea took care of her chores, while I pulled out the tests to mark. I spread myself out at the table. I continued with my original plan to finish the questions and then the essays.

We stopped for lunch and then Andrea got ready to go. She had planned to stay with her family for supper and be back early in the evening. Within a few minutes she was gone. I made my pot of tea after she left and got back to marking.

In general, the questions were not all that bad. The errors, I think were more related to over thinking and reading into the question and answer choices which confused them. The essays were a different story. They started out dealing with one of the three aspects and then drifted to another aspect. Some students even addressed all three. All of these concerns could be easily corrected. Monday morning would be used for this.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.