General Fiction posted February 7, 2018 Chapters:  ...22 23 -24- 25... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A surprise, and a turn of events.

A chapter in the book The Life of Mrs. Armstrong

Problem #3.

by aryr



Background
Mrs. Armstrong comes out of retirement, and decides teaching has its own unique challenges.

Unlike Roni, who I called Friday night to see how things were going, I did not give out my cell number to any of the students. My thoughts were that things would take care of themselves either during class or privately after class.

Roni was doing well, and Darlene had things under control. This was proving to be a great mother daughter time for them. Darlene felt it was a nice vacation from her own children who had their other grandmother taking care of them. Grandma and grandpa spoiled them, while their father tried to maintain discipline. I could have told him there was minimal chance of success.

Saturday morning, was chore morning- dusting, cleaning floors, laundry. In the afternoon, I decided that I would do some prepared meals as I listened to music and I did so want to study the doodles.

It was around 3pm when Roni called to advise me she had gotten a call regarding a request for me to return the call. When she mentioned the student's name, I decided to fill her in on what had happened and what I had offered. She had given out her number for student contact but primarily for when they were doing their clinical rotation. This student had called her. I took the number and promised to call her when I knew more.

I called the number not knowing if it was a house phone or a cell phone. I was hoping for the later and that it would be answered by the person I wanted and needed to talk to. I was in luck, she answered the phone.

"Hello! Mrs. Armstrong? Is there any way we could meet at the school? Or I could come over, if you don't mind me knowing where you live? I really need to explain why I did what I did with the test. I really need to talk to someone." Andrea sounded desperate; this was indeed a call for help.

"First, I guess I need to know where you live? I do understand from what you have asked that it would not be wise for me to go there, you need privacy, so I am trying to determine which would be closer for you, the school or my home."

She gave me her general location and I knew she was just a short bus ride from my home. I provided my address and which bus she would need to take. I then called security to let the people on duty know that I was expecting a guest. Their protocol was that visitors in cars would be given directions and those arriving on foot would be brought to the door in a golf cart, thankfully it was enclosed in plastic. During the day and early evening there were two staff members on duty.

It took her about twenty minutes, before she was knocking on my door. She looked nervous and I wasn't sure if it was the condo, me or her need to talk. I took her coat and gestured towards the living room, after asking about tea, coffee, hot chocolate or a cold drink. She smiled at the offer of hot chocolate and asked if she could follow me to the kitchen. I nodded so she followed.

"Have a seat anywhere. It will take a few minutes for the milk to heat, do you want marshmallows or mint or both?"

"I have never had hot chocolate with either, so you decide. I have just had the packaged kind."

"Then both it is, you are in for a treat. I always used marshmallows until a friend told me about putting mint leaves in a tea ball and dropping it into the milk as it heats. It's become one of my favorites."

There was silence after that until the hot drinks were ready, she looked comfortable, so I simply sat down in one of the other three chairs placed around the table. The extra two chairs had been placed in the bedrooms at the desks. She wrapped her hands around the hot mug, closed her eyes and inhaled the aroma of chocolate and mint. She took a tiny sip.

"Oh my God, that is just super delicious." Another sip, "Okay, I was really upset yesterday, and I guess I shouldn't have let it influence my thinking in class, but it did."

I patted her arm in reassurance and told her to continue whenever she was ready. I also thought it was important to let her know that whatever she said would be in confidence and that I would only share it with Mrs. Trenton. She nodded. After a couple of sips, she went on.

"I live with my parents and two younger brothers. About three weeks ago, my uncle moved in with us, it was only supposed to be a weekend for starts and then it changed to a week. Now no one knows how long. Anyway, he does work during the day, so he is gone. He is home for supper and on the weekends. The plan was that he would sleep on the sofa, since he got up early in the morning and would go to bed when my parents did. And he does pay rent, which goes into savings for them, they will probably use it for a really good Christmas next year."

She paused as she took another sip.

"About a week ago he started making comments and suggestions when he was around me. He would find a reason to touch my arm or my back. It really felt creepy with him being so close. Now I am nearly 22, so I am not a prudish girl; I am a good Catholic and plan to save myself for marriage, but he just feels wrong. Two nights ago, he suggested that everyone should kiss everyone goodnight. My brothers who are nine and fourteen giggled and laughed and thought the whole idea was hilarious. The oldest one even thought it was yukky. My parents thought it was cute and sweet. I was outnumbered so I went along with it. Except when he kissed me goodnight it was on the lips with his tongue invading my mouth. That's what threw me off with the test. I couldn't get over what had happened, and I was afraid of what the future would hold." Tears were flowing down her cheeks, she nodded when I got the tissue box.

After another sip she added, "Last night I complained about a scratchy, sore throat and that I didn't think it was a good idea, in case I got everyone sick and they all agreed. What am I going to do? I can't lie anymore. I can't talk to my mother and father, especially my father. I could probably move out, but my folks depend on what I get for going to school. I keep about $100.00 a month for whatever I may need and give them the rest. I have managed to save a bit because I don't use the whole hundred. I just can't take that away from them. It's not fair that he is wrecking my life."

She was weeping now, her shoulders shaking with her sobs. I gave her all the time she needed to get this out of her system as well as time for me to gather my thoughts.

"First, it's time for a fresh hot chocolate, some of the adult type. You are over 21 and a wee touch of brandy won't hurt you and I don't think either of us will be driving." She gasped at the comment but smiled.

As I made a new batch of hot chocolate she washed and dried the mugs without asking. She needed something to do.

"If you look in the third cupboard you will find plates, grab one and then get some cookies, the striped jar has peanut butter and the flowered jar has chocolate chip. Oh, any allergies?"

"No, ma'am! Should I get both kinds? Which kind do you like?"

"Both will do nicely; the milk is almost done. The brandy is in the last cupboard on the bottom."

She retrieved the brandy but took a few minutes to survey my booze cupboard. I had a small bottle of most things like gin, bourbon, whiskey and schnapps, a larger bottle of scotch (with one as a spare), brandy, vodka and several bottles of white and red wine. The cupboard had been specially made with booth shelves being slide outs and each had built in dividers, so nothing fell over.

I laughed as I commented, "The little ones are for when I have company, who prefer one of those; the larger ones are my favorites that I treat myself too on really cold days or the weekends and special times, like now."

With the two mugs and the plate of cookies we sat at the table again.

"Okay, what about just talking to your mother; is that an option? You could explain the situation, your concerns and ask her for help and guidance."

"I guess I could try. She won't ask him to leave because he is her brother-in-law, but she may have some ideas that could help. I really hate to ask but could you be there with me? You know like support or something like that."

"Sure, but I have a better idea. How about we call her and see if she would come over here, that way you two can talk in private and there would be no distractions."

"That is a great idea. Before we call her, can I do my test, I really do know the stuff and then I won't feel so silly on Monday. I told her I was going out to see a friend and wouldn't be home for supper. She goes out to see her friends from work all the time, so she understands."

"I don't see why not, I will just give you the copy that you doodled on. Those were interesting doodles and I was just figuring out that they were 'a call for help'. When Mrs. Trenton called, I was considering calling you to see if I could help. Sit here while I get the test. Since you won't be home for supper, I'll cook while you do your test."

She thanked me as she reached for another cookie, "These are delicious, what brand are they? I'd like to treat my brothers to some."

"They are homemade and here is the deal, after we get things sorted out you can come over and we will make two batches, one for me and one for you to take home. Deal?"

She nodded and I went for the test, thinking that problem number three was not really a problem at all.

With her test completed and supper shared, it was time to call her mother. I planned on correcting her test while she called.




Sorry that this one was longer.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.