General Fiction posted February 6, 2018 Chapters:  ...21 22 -23- 24... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
An unexpected turn happens.

A chapter in the book The Life of Mrs. Armstrong

The End of Week Two.

by aryr



Background
Mrs. Armstrong comes out of retirement, and decides teaching has its own unique challenges.
When everyone was seated, I instructed them to take out their tests from the week before. Most eyes turned to Tom's direction to see how he had done. He smiled at everyone and gave them all a thumbs-up gesture.

"Okay, Tom has caught up, so we can discuss this test. The only mistakes were not really mistakes, they were simple spelling errors. Since the entire test was comprised of twenty-five questions and twenty-five labeling, I gave each correct answer two points, for the spelling errors I subtracted one point. I also printed the correct spelling. Does anyone have any questions or comments or even complaints?"

I scanned the room and saw a roomful of smiles but no hands.

"Okay then, test two, same rules, leave face down, everyone will start at the same time; when you are finished you may go out quietly after turning your papers in. Since you have until lunchtime to complete your test, those done early will just have a longer lunch break. Name and date on all page, please. Anyone needing a drink, a restroom break do, so now, as I pass these out. Pencils are on the desk."

I waited until everyone had resettled and then instructed them to start. The first thing I noticed was that everyone read through the entire test before picking up a pencil. Then they added their name to the first page and started. Each page was named as they turned to the new one. It was impressive to watch their diligence and concentration.

Since I knew of course what the schedule was for next week, I once again worked on questions for the next test. I had made copies of the blank diagrams, that I wanted to use, from the back of the book. It was a shame that there were no questions for them to review.
I believe everyone realized that this was not a race to get done, so completion times took longer, but they were all finished and went off to lunch.

My lunch was once again spent marking papers. There are times when something rather simple is really enjoyed. This was the case with my peanut butter and jam sandwich, an apple and hot tea. I picked up the second to last paper when I received my shock. There was a name and date on each page, but absolutely nothing else. No answers to the questions and not labeling to the diagrams. There was however, doodles on the back of each page. I skipped to the last test and marked it. I would definitely need more time to examine the doodles. They meant something, but what.

The students returned and for the afternoon, we reviewed what had been covered during the week. I kept a close eye on the student who had turned in a blank test. I saw no indication of stress or concern. Class participation was unchanged. Those doodles bothered me, they meant something. Should I ask the student to stay and request an explanation? Should I just leave it be, after all the test marks did not count against their grades? They were certainly not obligated to do them. I pondered my many options all afternoon.

As we got close to the end of class, I reminded Tom that he didn't have to stay behind today. I also requested that at some time over the weekend they read chapter eight, I did warn them that it was a long one. I promised to have the tests marked by Monday and that we could review them first thing. With that thought in mind, I put myself out on a limb and offered to be available if anyone wanted to talk about how they thought they were doing privately. I suggested after school conversations because they did give more privacy and explained that I usually left about one-half hour after everyone else but could and would stay if necessary. The offer was made.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.