General Fiction posted February 1, 2018 Chapters:  ...16 17 -18- 19... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
We are what we eat, but why?

A chapter in the book The Life of Mrs. Armstrong

Food Choices.

by aryr



Background
Mrs. Armstrong comes out of retirement, and decides teaching has its own unique challenges.
After lunch they were given the opportunity to listen to some tummy sounds and the gurgles of the intestines.

"Hey, we can tell time by listening to Stan's gut. His is always grumbling but it gets worse at lunch time. Sorry, Stan, just playing with ya. We're alright, aren't we?"

"We're okay. My mom and dad say the same thing, but they won't let my brothers and sisters say anything. I wait until I am really grumbling and then I sit next to them," he laughed, "and they can't say a word. It's great."

The text book the school had chosen for the medical courses were not only fundamental in nature but wisely put together. The beginning chapters covered the basic anatomy and the next group of chapters covered the diseases and malfunctions. In my mind I was hoping that when they got to the problem area, they would think about their own bodies and solve some of their issues. I was sure Stan's were related to diet. It was amazing what these youngsters lived on, their weird food choices. I knew that some of the situations were financially created and some were from just not knowing.

I had already in my mind, planned to have a couple of days to discuss cultures, so why not add some of these ideas that could help change their families lives and probably for the better.
"Okay, since we have listened to some of our bodies' weird sounds, let's talk about what happens to the food or drink as it passes through the various areas. Did any of you realize that the digestive system is the only 'open' system of the body? Basically, what you put into your mouth will come out your rectum, in a different form, of course."

A hand shot up.
"Yes, Helen, what is your thought?"

"Well, when we drink a lot or maybe just because we drink, is what we pee part of the digestive system?"

"Actually; it is not, but it will all become related. Our body is like a machine. Maybe you can think of it as a car. The wheels, the engine, the fuel, the different parts will not work on their own but when put together they become a car and they work and provide transportation. Our body is like that, it all works together."

I paused for a few minutes to let them absorb this idea.

"Our meal consists of meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green beans, gravy, a couple of buttered rolls, water, sweet tea and a donut for dessert. What happens first?"

Stan raised his hand, "I would think I had died and gone to heaven with that much food."

"Okay, how about you give me the food choices from a typical supper in your house?"

"Pan fried ground beef, the greasy kind. Boiled potatoes which you can smash up or cut up, a slice of bread with margarine, tea or coffee and no dessert." He offered.

Around the room, heads were nodding.

"We now have our meal, what happens first?"

Another hand rose, "We stuff a big mouthful in, chew it fast so no one takes from your plate, swallow and do it again. You are done in less than fifteen minutes."

And another, "You forgot that you sort of hunch over your plate; kinda like you are protecting it. And your fork never stops, stab or scoop and shovel."

Once again, heads nodded. I was wondering how I could teach normal when life was so abnormal for so many.

"Let's pretend then for this class. You do not have to rush, you do not have to protect. It is recommended that you chew each bite twenty-eight times before swallowing. Now I know that doesn't happen unless you are royalty or very high class but at least pretend that it is chewed at least ten time. What happens?"

"Twenty-eight times?" Several students asked.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.