General Fiction posted January 30, 2018 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The hospital stay is over, recovery prevails.

A chapter in the book The Life of Mrs. Armstrong

Roni Makes It Home

by aryr



Background
Mrs. Armstrong comes out of retirement, she has had struggles with the class, but she will continue.
Morning came faster than I wanted it to, but I was motivated to help a friend. Because Roni lived about two miles from me it was easier to drive than take public transit for the numerous trips. I belonged to a couple of committees at the hospital, so I had maintained a parking pass. The cafeteria was open twenty-three of twenty-four hours, they had to clean sometime. It was spotless and well organized. Since I was getting breakfast for her, I decided to treat myself. I had the food for two delicious bacon creations and coffees. Off I went to her room.

She was awake, bathed and dressed in her track suit. When the time came there would be no stopping her. Breakfast was the priority and we savored each bite. It had been a long time. Next was the plan for equipment placement. Roni had three children, all grown and away from home; in other cities in fact. She had sold her house, a five bedroom, after the last child left for life on their own. Her husband left her life shortly after the last child moved out. He had found other interests in life and with the children gone, felt that he had no need to stay there. She found a nice two bedroom apartment and she was okay with all this.

The plan was to place the bed in the master bed room, her bed would be pushed over against the wall, but her clothing would all be there. The commode would be in the corner ready for use. The hoyer lift would be in her bathroom. When she was up she would either be in the wheelchair or on the couch. Darlene would arrive around noon, drop her things off at the apartment, then head to the hospital to learn about her mother's care. It was interesting that none of our children had gone into the medical field. Well it either interesting or smart that they avoided the medical field. They were all good kids and were prepared to help at the drop of a hat.

With the key tucked safely in my purse I gave her a hug and left. I had a few things to do to get the apartment ready. The drive over was easy and there was minimal traffic. Security recognized me because we visited each other weekly. I took time to advise him of Roni's accident and that Darlene was going to stay with her for a few weeks. He appreciated the heads up. I parked and went in and up to the tenth floor. She did like her view and I will admit it was great. Within an hour, I had the apartment rearranged. I got the coffee maker ready, because I knew she was a coffee addict. I am grateful that she had at least switched to decaf a couple of years ago. I sat enjoying my tea while I waited.

The company arrived at 1000 and after setting everything up left at 1100. I cleaned and made up the bed and out of habit cleaned the surface of the other equipment. She would not be exposed to other peoples' germs. Security called when Darlene arrived and a few minutes later she was at the door. We hugged, years ago when Roni and I became first name friends I had become Auntie Jax to her children and she was Auntie Roni to my daughter. We were family.
By 1400 Roni was home, we were all glad that the ordeal was officially over. Darlene and I practiced with the hoyer lift and with other transfer methods. It was decided that unless Roni became too bossy she would be transferred, the hoyer lift was a backup. I went out and picked up Chinese for supper and then sat with Roni, while Darlene went out grocery shopping.

It had been a long day but everyone was home and happy.

My plan was to reunite with NCIS for the evening.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.