General Fiction posted January 28, 2018 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The Pearsons Save Scout

A chapter in the book Black Blizzard, White

The Real Deal

by charlene7190



Background
Lloyd has been contemplating running away to save Scout. Scout has become an important part of the Peterson family as has Lloyd so Fred will save the day. Another hard lesson for the children.
Lloyd had taken Scout back out to the barn where he gently brushed him off, took off the blinders and feedbag that had protected him from the storm and tried to find something for him to eat. There was a little hay but it had a dry mold in it that was not good for the animals. Lloyd proceeded to pick through it and find what he could that was not too dusty or too moldy and fed Scout. They were both pretty hungry, the skinny little boy and the equally skinny horse that was his best friend.

"Lloyd what are you doing son?" Betty's dad asked. He startled Lloyd, walking in quietly. But then Alfred was a quiet man.

"Uh, oh hi Mr. Pearson, I'm feeding Scout a little bit of your hay. I hope you don't mind, he's had a rough day."

"You go on ahead and feed him Lloyd, you're welcome to anything we have here and I brought you both a drink of water from the cistern. It's been boiled so it's good."

Lloyd started to refuse but he was so thirsty and he knew Scout was too so he accepted the glass bottle filled with water, gave most of it to Scout in a bucket and drank a little himself.

"What's your plan Lloyd? You got one? Betty tells me you won't go home, why not?"

Lloyd looked down in deep thought for a minute and then looked up at the tall man in front of him.

"Mr. Pearson if I go home I'm gonna have to shoot Scout. Dad says we can't keep him anymore, he eats too much and he don't help out around the farm so I'm not going back, never." There was a look of determination on the small boy's face.

"Where will you go boy?"

"I thought I might go see my mom and sisters, they live in Mitchell you know. Moved and left us."

"I heard Lloyd and I'm sorry about that but your mom had to have a reason for leaving, didn't she?"

"Yeah I guess so. You know she has a suiter? He's a rich man and he buys her and the girls things. I'm gonna go and get a job and help them out too. I'm gonna buy my mom things like pretty dresses and perfume and a box of candy."

"Right now your job is to help your Pop."

Then there was a moment of silence where both the man and the boy just kind of looked at each other without really seeing the other one.
Alfred broke the silence then.

"I talked to Mrs. Pearson a while ago and we decided we need a horse around here. Not a real work horse but one that the kids could ride and one that knows his way to town. You know of a horse like that Lloyd? We'd be willing to pay, say $2.00 for a horse like that and he could stay here with us. Of course we'd need a boy to help take care of him."

"I DO know a horse just like that Mr. Pearson, Scout!" For the first time there was a hint of hope in Lloyd's eyes. "And I know a boy who would take care of him for free, ME!"

"Yep and you could take the money to your Dad for feed for the hogs."

"But do you have that kind of money Mr. Pearson? That's a lot."

"Mrs. Pearson has some egg money saved up so we're good. We have a burial here in the next few days but we'll work that out with the Doc. What do you say Lloyd? You want to sell Scout?"

"Yes sir, yes I would. He'd be safe here with you and I would come over everyday to help take care of him and then when I get enough money, I could buy him back."

"That you could Lloyd."

They shook hands, the deal sealed. It was the real deal and Alfred handed Lloyd $2.00 in change and Scout was now part of the Pearson clan.

"You need to head home son, your Pa is probably wondering where you're at."

"He's gonna be mad but when he sees the money, it'll be OK. See you tomorrow Mr. Pearson, early."

And without another word, Lloyd set off across the prairie for home secure in the knowledge his best friend, his only friend was safe. He'd saved Scout and he was happy. It was almost dark and Lloyd had a half mile to walk.

Alfred went back in the house. Everyone was sitting in the living room, the kids wrapped around the old oak table, the lantern had been lit. Nobody was really saying too much but Alfred knew it was time to feed everyone. Normally Etta would go kill an old rooster and then Betty would fry it up in a big cast iron skillet but Etta was in her bed and Betty had to go lay down herself. Betty was feeling like she might have one of her seizures after all the excitement and pain of the day. It was also time for chores. Everyone and everything had a schedule and today was no exception.

"Kids, just to let you know, Momma and I are keeping Scout for a bit. You treat the old guy as you would any of our animals and Lloyd will come over to help take care of him. He's in the barn and he's part of this here farm now. Understand?"

They all nodded and stood to go about their business, each one knowing what his job was. Phyllis who had been reflecting out the one and only window in the sitting room got up and headed for the barnyard. Without a word she knew it was up to her to get dinner for almost a dozen people including small children. Finding enough food was going to be a chore in itself.


Lloyd arrived home after dark. Luther was sitting by an old oil lamp that dimly lit the room.

"Where the hell you been? Been waiting all afternoon Lloyd. I had to feed the hogs myself. You better have a good excuse."

"I do papa, Scout ran out the pen this morning and I chased him all the way to Pearson's place. Then we got caught in the storm so had to wait 'til it was clear. Look! Pearsons' bought Scout and gave me a whole $1.50 for him. Here's the money so you can buy feed for the hogs." With that he counted out exactly $1.50 and handed it to Luther.

"Saves a bullet now don't it" was all he said. He took the money and walked off.

Lloyd was feeling bad about lying to his Dad and secretly keeping some of the money he got from Mr. Pearson but he had an agenda and he needed it worse than those old hogs right now. He was going to see his mom and bring her a box of chocolates. As sad as the day was, Lloyd was happy to think he might make his momma happy if even for a short while. He had plans to make. He was going to see his family and bring them presents!!!




Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. charlene7190 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
charlene7190 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.