General Fiction posted January 23, 2018 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Who she is and was.

A chapter in the book The Life of Mrs. Armstrong

About Mrs. Armstrong

by aryr



Background
Mrs. Armstrong comes out of retirement, gains control of her class and decides there is hope. She tells them about her past.

"Good morning. Yesterday, I was asked for some information about myself and I might add justifiably so. I thought it might be a good idea, if after I share with you that you share a little about each of you as well. It can be as little as your full name or as much as you desire. Fair enough?"

I was rewarded with a room full of smiles.

"Let's see, where shall I begin. I started out with less training than each of you will have. Many years ago, there were no medical office assistants, no lab techs, no CNAs. In fact, RNs and LPNs were the only ones allowed to work in any medical capacity other than the doctor. Oh, in case you are not familiar with those, CNAs means Certified Nursing Assistant, RN is registered nurse and LPN is Licensed Practical Nurse. The only nonmedical person was the receptionist or clerk."

Melissa raised her hand, "Why no lab techs? Who drew the blood?"

"The RN or the Doctor usually drew and blood work or the patient was sent to a laboratory where the nurses did nothing but do phlebotomy. When I started it was as a nursing aide in a nursing home. The only training, I received was about three weeks. In that time, I learned how to change diapers, clothes and sheets, how to bathe using the shower or doing a bed bath, how to feed people without choking them and that for all else you got the RN or LPN."

It was interesting to watch the various degrees of amazement wash over faces.

I worked at that job for about three years. I had to start out on the night shift but for the last year I was promoted to days. Before all of this I had been working in a truck stop at night, sometimes serving and sometimes cooking. I wanted to do something with myself other than cooking. I had been trained in high school to be a secretary, you know, short hand and managing all the equipment. However, there was an influx of those skills so unless you were an honor student and I wasn't, there were just no jobs. So I do understand how you are feeling."

I paused for a few minutes before asking, "So how about we start with the first row and learn a little about each other and then I will continue."

The first row provided a great deal of information about themselves, not enough to be considered excessively personal.

"I was shopping one day and anyone who is a parent can relate to the adventures of shopping. My daughter was just a few months old but old enough to be distracting and entertaining. I met my former English teacher from high school."

We talked for a few minutes, when she broached my previous interest in nursing.

"You do know that the school is now offering a LPN course, those who already have a high school education such as you can even apply for scholarships. And I understand that after working for a year you could then apply to the RN program." Mrs. Offerski commented.
"So I could possibly get a scholarship, work for a year and then get into the RN program. The LPN course would give me the sciences I didn't have from the business course. Is that what you are saying?" She had my attention.

"Listen, I will give you my business card, after all those years teaching English, I switched directions right after you left, I am now a school counsellor and also responsible for interviewing LPN potentials. I know your history and your interest so let's consider this our interview, shall we?" She passed me the card, "Please think about it and call me as soon as you can."

For a few seconds I was speechless. No one had ever offered me such a gesture of kindness. I remembered thinking during her classes that she was a tough old broad but 150% fair. I was speechless and in awe.

"I will, I promise, just let me talk to Bill. I have no doubt that I can do it; but I would have to work out a few details. You know my loss of income, daycare and all that. But I will call, one way or the other."

She smiled, turned her head in question and opened her arms for a hug. It felt like going home for a parental hug.

All of this I relayed to the class and then suggested that the second row completed their part of the getting to know each other.

"Now of course, I called her. Bill was very encouraging and our dear neighbor who was both a widow and retired offered to babysit. The only stipulation she had was to be allowed to provide the care in our home so that my daughter would be less confused. It was a giant step for me."
"The year went by extremely fast. I managed to obtain two scholarships, so the income was as if I had never quit working. The first one was at the beginning of the course and the second one was awarded at the half way mark. This one was a total surprise. It was for the high grade student. And if I maintained my grades, it would extend to cover my first year tuition, provided I met the requirement of one year of employment."

"I aced the course, I had found my love for life. I was actually asked if I would be interested in working in the psych unit. Nowhere in the state had a LPN been hired for psychiatric work. It was an honor. I actually did almost two years and remained as part time for the duration of my studies to become an RN."

At this point I called upon the third row and when they had finished, I suggested a stress release break.

"By working part time, I was able to continue to contribute to the family income. Oh, and because I was a LPN I was exempted from about 2/3 of the first year. I used the scholarship for my second year."

Silence still prevailed. I wasn't sure if they were all actually interested or just glad not to be doing lessons. But I had promised and so I went on.

"Okay, back to more about me. I worked for about a year after graduation in psych, it was totally different as an RN. I did a lot of counselling and a lot more paper work. My husband was transferred to a larger city and so did my nursing career. I enjoyed working as a floor nurse until opportunity struck once again. Several of the fourteen hospitals decided to boast the number of nurses trained for ICU or Intensive Care Unit nursing. The offer was that the hospitals would continue to pay your regular wages and tuition for the year long program. It was a win-win situation. The only stipulation other than passing was to sign a document which promised that you would work for that hospital for two years. I liked the hospital I worked at and didn't have a problem. Ultimately, I chose neuro ICU, but was trained to work in any ICU. I just felt that it was more challenging to figure out the causes of brain damage rather than the problems in other ICUs."

I paused for a few moments, partially for myself, so I could recall some not so great memories and as well to let them absorb.

"My husband died when our daughter was almost eighteen and just getting ready for college. So, I became a widow and an empty nester within the same year. I continued working because I did so love the medical field. Over the years, I had been promoted to various positions; there is a benefit to sticking at one place. After five years in administration I decided to retire and take time for me. Mrs. Trenton actually used to work under my direction. She had called me about two years ago to see if I would be interested in teaching part time. We never had agreed but when she called on Friday and then the school called within ten minutes to offer the position, I stepped out of retirement for a dear friend. And now I am here."




Sorry that the chapter was so long but I couldn't find a place to chop it in half.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.