General Fiction posted January 19, 2018 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Tom leaves, will he return?

A chapter in the book The Life of Mrs. Armstrong

Minus One

by aryr



Background
Mrs. Armstrong comes out of retirement, gains control of her class and decides there is hope.
Tom did not return after lunch. There were, of course, scattered mumbles and everyone looked back to his empty seat several times.

"Okay, I guess we will get back to discussing temperature and needed equipment. But first I would like to say that it is my hope that each and every one of you not only succeeds in this class but that you find employment. It is out there, there is a need. When you go out for your clinical experiences, Mrs. Trenton will be checking up on you and talking to your assigned mentors and the clinic managers. Most students are actually hired into that clinic. It may not be the job you want for the rest of your life, but it is a start. Both Mrs. Trenton and myself will be writing references for you. That with the references provided by mentors and managers will go a long way. Don't give up on yourself, please."

There were sniffles, but they hung in there. One hand slowly went up and I was slightly surprised to see it was William. I nodded.

"Mrs. Armstong, I have a couple of questions or perhaps I should say a statement and a question, if you don't mind? I cannot and will not speak for the others, but I am here to learn; and I plan to do well, to pass and to work." The class erupted in clapping and agreement. "My question is, would you mind telling us how you got your start, where are you from? You know all that stuff."

"Thank you, William, for sharing that. Thank you to each and every one. I would be honored to answer your questions, however can we leave that until the morning? It has been a rough day, so we will leave the dull stuff until then, okay?" I laughed and they nodded.

"Now, lets talk about temperature. Does anyone know what a normal temperature is, Mandy?"

"I read ahead a little as well so I know it is 98.6 degrees Faranhid which is equal to 37 degrees Celcius, did I pronounce that right? And if you do it in the bum or rectally it is one degree higher and the armpit is one lower."

"You did very well Mandy, It is Fahrenheit, and I can see that you have read ahead."

I held up two thermometers, one red tipped and one blue.

"Other than one is red and the other is blue, is there any difference?"

Several replied by shaking their head 'no'. A couple of hands went up. And I accepted Andrew's hand.

"I think the red one is used in your mouth and the blue is for your armpit and rectally."

"Good try, but actually the blue one is for your mouth or your armpit and the red one is for your rectum. Always, remember that the color red is meant as an alert and something that is inserted into your rectum should not be used elsewhere. I know of several medical students who thought they knew everything, but forgot that one rule; it could have been hazardous for them. Even the solution they are cleansed in are different. Yuk."

Laughter flowed throughout the room as well as gestures of spitting out an awful taste.

"I will pass around the blue ones, please be careful not to break them. They are filled with mercury and you most definitely do not want to be touching that. They are three sided so turn them around so that you can see the silver stripe between the numbers. It will rise up from the base and I can guarantee you that no two people will see it at the same level. Proper handling is to hold it a finger width from the non-colored tip."

These were passed around and for a while I watched as they were turned and eyes squinted in concentration. I allowed almost a half an hour before asking if anyone could not find the line. With slight adjustments and checks to about seven, everyone had success.

"Now, without losing sight of your silver stripe see if it is anywhere near 98.6 degrees. Unless you have been holding the blue tip it should be considerably less."

Two hands went up and I was advised that it was just above that number.

"On to the next lesson." I smiled. "Any ideas of how to get the mercury to drop, ideally it should be around 80."

Immediately there was the dreaded response, "Put it in cold water."

"Wrong, never ever put it in cold water or for that matter hot water. When cleaning them, the reds and blues are always kept separate. With the tips down they are washed with warm water and soap then spread out on paper towel to dry, when they can be put in the appropriate containers. Used ones are put in containers that contain rubbing alcohol for soaking, usually full strength for reds and half strength for blues."

Notes were rapidly written. It was ironic that at no time did anyone consider laying down their thermometer.

"The technique used to bring the mercury down is to firmly hold the non-colored end and create a good flick of your wrist, remember hold tight." After demonstrating a couple of times, "Now you try."

Thankfully there were no flying thermometers and within two flicks the required numbers were noted. The room was filled with 'ohhs, awws and wow'.

"Since no one but you touched your thermometer, I want you to check your own temperature. Under the tongue and watch the clock for one minute. Then wipe it off, lower the mercury reading again and try it under your armpit or axillary. For today we will do it above your clothing but normally it is directly on the skin." I passed out tissues as I watched thermometers go under tongues.

Silence was beautiful for that minute.

"If anyone has an oral reading of over 98.6 or thereabout do not panic but raise your hand and likewise if you have a low temperature such as lower than 88 raise your hand."

I had quite a few hands and most of them were for high temps. To those I whispered in their ear questioning if they had hot drinks within the last few minutes, all nodded yes. There were two with low temps and I asked if they had cold drinks and again the nod was yes. I let them proceed to the axilla area. When finished I collected the thermometers in a tray filled with solution and the tissues in the garbage can.

It had been a productive day. Since everyone had been active in their seats we had proceeded without breaks, so everyone got to leave fifteen minutes early. I did so miss Tom's presence.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.