Mystery and Crime Fiction posted January 9, 2018 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The detectives remain clueless as the killing spree continue

A chapter in the book Bittersweet Revenge

Three Tears for Bernie

by Mistydawn


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.
The author has placed a warning on this post for language.

Authors Note
Anything between ~~~ is a past memory. 
Anything between *** is the next scene.

Joe wakes up to his cell phone buzzing angrily beside him. Sleepily fumbling around the nightstand, he scoops it up.

"This better be important," he barks into his phone.

"Sergeant, it's Jerry, there's been another killing."

"What?" Springing out of bed he grabs his clothes off the floor.

"Bernie Walters was found stabbed to death at Frank's bar. I'm heading there now."

"I'm on my way." Putting down his phone, Joe gets dressed. I can't believe the killer struck so soon. Combing his fingers through his graying hair, Joe bolts out the door.

***

Joe arrives at Frank's bar within a few minutes. Some officers are interviewing patrons, while others secure the area.

Glancing over he sees Kirk making his initial video while the photo technician snaps still pictures of the scene. That kid may work out after all.

Looking around, Joe sees the distraught owner sitting on the bar steps. His eyes are red and swollen. He has tears streaming down his tan face.
Bernie was a good old boy, always willing to lend a helping hand, for a few beers, of course.

~~~

"Hey Bernie, I have an ice-cold six-pack sitting in my fridge with your name on it," Joe says, walking out to greet him.

"What do you want me to do?" he questions suspiciously.

"Mow my yard."

Gazing across the overgrowth, Bernie shakes his head. That shit has to be at least a foot tall. "Make it a twelve pack and you've got a deal."

~~~

He swindled me out of two twelves that day, claiming he needs one just to cool down. Snickering, Joe walks towards the owner.

"What happened, Pete?" Joe asks, taking a notebook out of his pocket.

"I'm not exactly sure. One minute Bernie is leaving and the next he's dead." He wipes the moisture from his face.

"What time did he leave?"

"He finished his last beer around midnight, ten minutes later, Greg runs in yelling he's dead. I ran out to see if there's anything I could do, but it was too late. Damn allergies are acting up again," he says, blowing his nose.

Joe smiles, he knows Pete tries to act tough, but he's a gentle soul. "Did he leave with anyone?"

"Bernie flirts all evening, but always leaves alone."

"He's married to Pam, correct?"

"They married right out of high school. Oh no, there's no way she did this. Pam faints if she sees a drop of blood."

"I remember." Joe laughs, recalling her passing out over a nosebleed.

***

Leaning against the wall, Greg starts thinking about Bernie. We had a lot of fun together, and a lot of heated debates. He snickers through his tears.

~~~

"Would you just listen to me for a second," Bernie says, jumping up from his seat. Throwing his beer can into the water, he grabs another. Their boat rocks from his sudden movement.

"Why don't you sit your drunken ass down, before you tip us into the lake," Greg suggests, glancing at the murky water.

"I won't sit down until you listen to what I have to say." He stomps his foot. Their boat wobbles again.

"Damn it, Bernie, you seriously need to sit down before ...."

Bernie loses his balance. His rounded body hits the side, toppling them into the water.

~~~

Saving his lard ass was worse than wrestling a pissed gator on steroids, he snickers. God, I'm going to miss him.

"Are you the one who found him?" Jerry asks, walking towards Greg.

"Yes," he looks towards the ground.

"Did you touch him or move him in any way?"

"l I tripped over him, going to my truck. It was so dark I didn't see him lying there."

"Do you remember seeing anyone in the parking lot?"

"No, but it's so dark I couldn't see far."

"Did you hear a car pull away?"

"No."

"Can you think of someone that would want to kill him?"

"Everyone loves Bernie. He's a happy go lucky, easy going kind of guy, a true pal to all of us." His lips begin to quiver as he tries to keep from crying.

"Does he have any exes ex-wife or girlfriend?"

"He married his wife years ago. As soon as they finished high school, I believe."

"Hey, detective, I found something," Kirk says, walking towards them.

"What did I tell you about transference?" Jerry questions, annoyed by his repetitive mistake.

The young lad hangs his head. "Running in and out of the crime scene can cause evidence to be lost, and bring something in that wasn't originally there."

"Exactly."

Kirk turns around.

Jerry grabs his arm. "You might as well show me since you're already here."

"The killer used this to smash Bernie's head." He holds up a pink crowbar.

"That's Bernie's, he painted it pink so that no one will steal it," Greg says.

"Is there a reason why it'd be out?"

"He used it to fix Karen's flat earlier this evening."

"How is Karen's and Bernie's relationship?"

"She loves Bernie, in a sisterly kind of way.  Bernie is like a brother to all of us. He's a little slow on the uptake, but we love him just the same."

"Where is Karen now?"

"She's probably in the bar cleaning up, restocking, things like that."

"Thank you," Jerry heads toward the front door.

This's a charming place, Jerry thinks, inhaling the strong smell of cedar. He first notices how the lighting from the fireplace and oil lanterns give the bar a luminous glow.

He then sees the couches and chairs. Chess tables are in the far corner, instead of standard dart boards. His entire decor makes you feel like you're stepping into a friend's cabin, rather than a bar.

"You have a nice place here, Pete."

"Thanks."

"I'm looking for Karen, is she still here?" Jerry glances around.

"She's in the storage room. Can I help you with something?"

"I heard you're looking for me?" Karen drops a large box on the bar, bottles clink together.

"Bernie fixed a flat for you tonight, correct?"

"Yes, he always does nice things for me. I just didn't ..." Tears form in Karen's red swollen eyes. "I didn't know that would be the last  ...." she sobs.

"Did he put away his tools when he finished?"

Drying her face with a ragged tissue she continues. "He said he needed a beer first." She glances over to where he normally sits, she starts crying again. Regaining her composure, she continues, "I offered to collect his tools before dark, he laughs and says the pink crowbar will be there when he leaves."

"Do you know anyone who wants to hurt him?"

"No, he is a sweetheart to all the ladies and a loyal friend to the guys. Oh, Jerry, I'm going to miss him so much, his boisterous laugh, his corny jokes, his crazy pranks." Burying her face in Pete's chest she cries harder.

Pete wraps his arms around her. "We're all going to miss him, hon."

***

I accomplished a lot today, Rachel proudly concludes, recalling today's events. She's drying off when she hears a light tap on the door. I have to get rid of these. Scooping up her filthy clothes, she runs to the closet and shoves them in the corner.

"Rachel, honey, are you alright?" Bonnie whispers.

Rachel anxiously turns around. I hope I locked the door. Running to the entrance she presses her body against it, then scans the room for forgotten clues.

"Rachel?"

"I'm feeling a little sick, a stomach virus, I think." She wraps her arm around her waist the way she did when she was little. How many times have I used that excuse?

"Do you want me to get you anything?"

"I'll be alright in a minute, but thanks anyhow."

"Let me know if you change your mind."

"I will." She hears her stepmother walking down the hall, and then the door closing behind her.

That was a close call. Scanning the room one last time, Rachel walks towards the couch.

***

Joe sees Jerry talking to the last patrons in the corner of the lot. I'm sure he's ready to hit the sack. Joe walks towards him. "Hey bud, there's nothing more we can do, so why don't we get to bed."

Throwing his arm around Joe's shoulders, Jerry snuggles against him. In a high pitched voice, he says; "I'm flattered you find me attractive." He runs his fingers down Joe' s chest. A guy hit on Joe a few months back, swearing Joe is gay. Jerry teases him every chance he gets.

Joe moves away. "You know what I mean, Jerr."

"Why don't you show me, big boy." Jerry shakes his hips side to side as he walks towards him.

"I'm warning you, Jerry, cut it out."

Jerry laughs."Goodnight, Boss." In a woman's voice, he adds. "You hunk of a man, you." He winks.

Joe walks away shaking his head.

***

The attacker lies quietly in her apartment, reliving the evening's events. A cool gentle wind brushes across her face as she gazes towards the sky.

This has been a wonderful night, One I'll remember forever. Her mind suddenly drifts back to when she was little.
~~~
Please god, please not tonight,
she'd beg, hunkering down in bed. She has dirty linen tucked tightly around her, trying to make herself feel safe. Hearing heavy footsteps coming down the hall, she starts shaking. Why God, why? What did I do to deserve this, what did I do so wrong? She cries.

The door squeaks open, a naked man stomps towards her.

I'll be a good girl from now on, I  promise I will. If you make him go away.  Please, God please, make him go away.

"I have a surprise for you tonight, my little angel." He rips the covers away.

She sees an assortment of scary gadgets dangling from his hands when she glances up. "No, please, not those again," she begs, remembering how he left her a battered mess before.

He secures her to the bed. "She's ready, to go."

Men storm into her room.
~~~
Glancing out her window she tearfully says, "I'm going to kill every one of those sick bastards who raped me." 
 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.