Romance Fiction posted August 27, 2017 Chapters:  ...40 41 -42- 43... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The three men arrive at the restaurant.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Dreizehn part zwei

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

After the two left, Anderson faced Helen. "Philip and I'll be at the dinner table, but we're going out for dinner after Emily goes to her room."

"I'll be discreet." Helen nodded.

Philip leaned forward. "Shana's worried about your safety."

"I think she's worried about all of our safety. Have you contacted Jeff, yet?"

"I've already texted him." Philip held up his phone. "He wants to know what to bring."

Anderson used a key to open a hidden drawer in his desk and studied the contents. "Think they'll have metal detectors?"

"If it's truly a restaurant, no." Philip raised one eyebrow. "But who knows what else goes on there."

"We should have the element of surprise. Just in case be ready for anything." Anderson lifted up a Sig Sauer P938 and studied it. "Don't forget your concealed weapon certificate, in case we're questioned."


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 13 part 2

It was eight-thirty when a gentleman dressed in a shin-length red coat and a black high hat opened the door for Jeff, Philip, and Anderson at Anastasiya's Tea Room. After a short wait, a Maitre d showed the three men to a round table on the left side of the room.

Anderson opened the menu as he scanned the area. Chandelier lighting low, to be expected, music soft, also expected, beautiful artwork, wonder if it's stolen. He smiled to himself.

"Isn't Shana's family missing some sculptures?" whispered Philip. "I wonder if they're here."

Jeff scooted his foot under the table and bumped Philip's. "Don't mention that to her," he teased.

A tall, slender, young man came to their table with an Eastern European accent said, "I'll be your server this evening. My name is Maxim. What can I get you to drink?"

"The Beluga Gold, Golden Osetra for an appetizer, and a pitcher of ice water with lemon." Anderson glanced at his two friends. "Sound all right?" After they answered, he looked back at the menu. "I'll need more time for the entree."

"Very good choices. I'll immediately bring your drinks." Maxim's turn was a perfect right-angle.

"We're not trying to be secretive, are we?" Philip grinned.

"Did you just order vodka and caviar?" asked Jeff.

"He did and the most expensive on the menu." Philip's eyes met Anderson's.

"Is anybody watching, yet?" asked Anderson. "I've already mentioned we need to make a show to draw Kuznetsov out. I want him to play his hand."

"There are two men standing at the bar watching from the mirror," answered Philip.

"Good." Anderson continued studying the menu. "Have you decided what you want? And please act natural."

Philip studied the menu. "Still deciding."

"That's easy. Rib eye." Jeff set down his. "Are frites potatoes?" he whispered. Both Philip and Anderson smiled and nodded.

Moments later, Maxim returned with the drinks and caviar. He carefully poured water into each glass and then set the pitcher on the table.

"That was quick." Jeff laid the ivory linen napkin in his lap.

"Have you gentlemen decided on your meal?" Maxim's posture was perfect.

"Rib eye, medium rare," said Jeff.

"Any substitutions?"

After Jeff answered, Maxim faced Philip and waited.

"Kulebiaka." Philip set down the menu.

"Ah, yes the salmon is a very good choice. It's one of my favorites." Maxim nodded for Anderson.

"It's a hard decision between the veal and the Arctic char." Anderson folded the menu. "I think I'll have the Arctic char."

"Another very good choice. Please enjoy the caviar." As he left, Maxim made a right-angle-turn, again, and nodded toward the two men watching Jeff, Anderson, and Philip.

*****

When the table beside them had emptied and was ready for new customers, the two men who had been watching from the bar occupied it. Moments later, two men joined them.

Anderson sipped his vodka. "This place is busy."

Philip heaped a teaspoon with caviar and then placed it on a cucumber slice. "It sure is, and I predict it's about to get busier."

Jeff's napkin slipped to the floor. He bent to get it and lingered as he studied the men. When he sat upright, he nodded. "At least two are carrying and have backups," he mouthed.

Anderson nodded in acknowledgement.






*Please remember this is only part of a much longer chapter. I divide my chapters into three or four parts for ease of reviewing.*


Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident

Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.

Hannah -- Shana's cousin, the same age. Married within the past year and just had a baby

Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator

Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father





Recognized


Thank you Google Images for the lovely artwork of a Russian Tea Room. I promise excitement is on it's way, things start happening in my next post. I want to thank you for the generous support you give me. I truly appreciate it.

Munchkins invade my world tomorrow. LOL
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.