Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 18, 2017 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Cody talks with Judge Stancil

A chapter in the book Boiler Room

Section 4 - Part 1: Legal Beagle

by Brett Matthew West




Background
Has Cody's worst nightmare from Hell become his reality? Can Sheriff Daniels keep him safe?
Last Time: Earl Anthony Schroder had struck again. This time, too close to home for Cody. He knew he had to immediately show the card to Sheriff Daniels.


********************************************************************************************
********************************************************************************************


Sheriff Daniels called his son's cellphone and inquired, "What's your 10-20?"

"Southern Breeze," Cody replied. He and Matt were playing video games in their favorite arcade.

"Don't forget to come to the station at two o'clock. We're scheduled for a hearing with Judge Stancil. He's got several questions he wants you to answer about Earl Anthony Schroder's gravesite," the Sheriff reminded him.

"I'll be there in an hour, Dad," Cody replied, with that he watched Matt pop two quarters into a machine called Cyclone, in which he attempted to win tokens redeemable for more games.

As the flashing lights appeared on Matt's console, Cody recalled his first interrogation session with Judge Stancil when Sheriff Daniels adopted him. What they kept hushed between them ever since was they were buddies. On several instances, when they'd pass on the sidewalk, the Judge slipped Cody some of his colored rock candy without anyone seeing the act transpire. Unfortunately, Cody's diabetes put an end to those little treats.

Cody also appreciated the fact that Judge Stancil was tough as nails on criminals. His reputation far exceeded him when it came to those affairs. He'd placed many bad guys in the warden's steel garden for long stretches of years.

But, what Cody liked the most about Judge Stancil was their first courtroom encounter. He remembered entering the court and seeing all the expressive wood paneling that adorned the room. He hadn't been the least bit intimidated by the Judge's presence.

Forty-five minutes flew by as the boys played their game in the crowded arcade. It was time for Cody to head down to the Sheriff's Station where his Dad awaited his arrival.

Strolling east down the sidewalk that paralleled Cassandra Boulevard, Cody knew every dirty crack his sneakers stepped on. Most of them by their first names. As he meandered from the arcade to the Sheriff's Station, he hummed the tune to the song, "If I Had A Hammer". Lately, he'd taken to singing little ditties to himself more and more. Cody saw nothing wrong with the quirky habit.

He passed the Rex-All Drugstore and Chris's Home Lighting. A little further along his route was Martindale's Sporting Goods. Prominently displayed inside the big bay window that fronted the establishment, for all the world to see, was the most marvelous Rawlings baseball glove of all time. At least, Cody thought so. The leather glistened in the sunlight.

Cody's heart was set on owning that mitt. He had been eyeing it for a while. So far, the asking price was slightly out of his range. Standing outside the store admiring the glove once again, Cody reasoned if he offered to do extra chores around the house, Sheriff Daniels would front him the seventeen dollars he needed to add to his savings in the SunTrust Bank to afford the jewel he desired.

However, his independent nature persuaded him, "No, don't ask your Dad for the money. All you have to do is deliver your newspapers for two more weeks and you'll be able to purchase the glove you crave on your own."

Cody wanted that glove so bad he could taste it. The core of his being longed to feel its high quality. As the starting shortstop for the Astatula Mustangs Little League baseball team he needed a good glove. Held together by chicken wire, superglue, and scotch tape, his old one was ratty. So far, Cody hadn't asked for the money, or the glove. His resistance grew weaker though each time he admired it.

Seated in the patio of the Becker's Coffee Shop next door to the sporting goods store, and undetected by Cody, Beth Sorenson observed his wonderment. She sipped the last of her latte. Once finished with that, she stood up and nibbled on the arm of her Ray-Ban sunglasses.

'Now, I know how to get back in your good graces again' she contemplated to herself.

Cody crossed Cassandra Boulevard at the traffic light. Three pickup trucks waited for the signal to change to "green" so they could proceed. He noticed how everybody in Astatula seemed to drive a truck, including his Dad who owned a Ford F150 with all the bells and whistles.

Entering the Sheriff's Station, Cody found his Dad seated behind his metal desk. He held a Wanted poster of Earl Anthony Schroder in his hand. Upon noticing the poster, Cody could not control his excitement.

"I've never seen him look better," he said.

"I'll feel better when I have him in custody, and he is no longer a threat to you ever again," his Dad replied, "I'll give you the honor of plastering them around town for me."

"I'll do it right after we finish talking with Judge Stancil," Cody eagerly replied, "I can't wait!"

Cody smiled broadly. He did not realize while he was talking to his Dad that Beth entered the Martindale's Sporting Goods store. She bee-lined for the glove Cody coveted. She picked it up from off its perch and carried the mitt straight to the checkout register.

"Good afternoon, Beth," the middle aged clerk warmly greeted her. He saw what she held in her hand and said, "Cody's going to be one happy boy."

"Yes, he will be, Joe. But, do me a small favor if you would please," Beth began.

"What's that?" he asked her.

"Please don't mention anything about this to Cody. I want this glove to be a surprise," Beth replied.

"You don't have to worry about my otherwise big mouth," he promised her, stating, "my lips are zipped."

Joe rang the sale of the glove up on the cash register and informed her, "That will be thirty-nine ninety-nine, Beth. Shall it be cash or credit today?"

"You better put the purchase on my Visa," Beth responded.

She fished the credit card out of her wallet and handed the plastic to Joe so the transaction could be completed. Leaving the store, Beth stepped back out into the bright sunshine and repeated to herself, 'Yes, now I know exactly how to get back in your good graces my dear Cody.'

(To Be Continued:)


********************************************************************************************
********************************************************************************************


Cast of Characters:

Cody Schroder - Blond munchkin and the main character of the book.

Sheriff Brock Daniels - Long time Sheriff of Astatula and Cody's Dad.

Beth Sorenson - Long time lady friend of Sheriff Brock Daniels. Brought Cody to Astatula.

Matt Cochran - Cody's best friend.

Judge Stancil - Circuit Court Judge who approved Cody's adoption by Sheriff Brock Daniels.

Earl Anthony Schroder - Cody's biological sperm donor. Put Cody through ten years of hellacious physical, mental, and sexual abuse in Palo Pinto.

Joe - Sales Clerk at the Martindale's Sporting Goods Store.

Chapter Word Count: 1,105

Book Word Count: 9,655










10-20 = location








This is Evan, by Lilibug6, selected to compliment all my Cody Schroder stories.

So, thanks Lilibug6, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with all my Cody Schroder stories.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Lilibug6 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.