Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 17, 2017 Chapters:  ...21 22 -23- 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The conclusion to Julia's and Larry's brush with the law.

A chapter in the book Travesty of Justice

Bittersweet Victory

by Mistydawn


Brief Summary
Julia kills her first husband, Andy to escape an abusive relationship. She steals his mistress's ID and moves to Arkansas. She starts a career and a family under the fictitious name. Everything is going well until the police discover a knife from another murder in her car. She claims she purchased it from a homeless man, for her second husband's birthday. Hearing about her arrest, her second husband Bill puts a restraining order on her and then moves the kids out of the city. Julia bonds out and is awaiting trial.She's staying with her boyfriend/ Lawyer Larry. She's now accused of another murder which she claims she didn't commit. The Sergeant wants to believe her but the evidence keeps piling up against her.

Marty threatens to kill Larry's family if he doesn't win Vinnie's case.
Larry recently found out his estranged wife and daughter are dead. He's being expedited to New York where the murders took place. The evidence against him is slowly falling apart.
*****


Rachel

Joe and I had just finished watching the last of the tapes when we hear a loud commotion in the squad room. I see Jerry leaning over his desk, yelling at someone when I run through the door. Getting closer, I realize he's arguing with our DA.

"What's going on out here?" I question.

"Allen came in screaming about how we're plotting against him."

"No one is plotting against you, we're just doing our jobs."

"Making a plea agreement with suspects isn't part of your job description, Captain."

"It is when the higher ups give me the ok."

"You went over my head?"

"I wouldn't have to if you'd answered your phone."

"You never called me," he spat, quickly skimming through his call log. "Well, I didn't hear it ring."

"Thanks to James' tapes, we have enough evidence to put Marty and his accomplices away for a very long time."

"There isn't anything of value on the tape."

"The others make up for what that one doesn't prove."

"There's more?"

"There are ten tapes in all." Joe smiles.

"Doris said they recently installed the system."

"The new system, maybe. Put your hands behind your back." Walking behind Allen, Joe grabs a hold of his wrist.

"What are you doing?"

"Allen Parson, you're under arrest for conspiracy to commit murder."

"You're making a big mistake, Captain."

"No, you're the one that made the mistake," Joe says, placing the cuffs on his wrist.

"I'm going to have your job for this, you and all of your crew."

"We'll just see about that, now won't we."

"What's the meaning of this? Arresting Allen like he's some hardened criminal?" the Senior DA spat, charging into the room.

"We have proof that Allen is the main conspirator in two murders and the framing of Julia Moffitt and Larry Wilson."

"Where is your proof?"

"It's in my office, Sir."

"I want you to release him until I can review the evidence."

"But, Sir."

"Release him, now," he orders, storming towards the back.

Joe sees the smug grin on Allen's face when he unlocks the cuffs.

"This isn't over, Allen," Joe says, shoving him against the desk.

"Did you see that?" Allen questions, glancing around the room.

Everyone turns away.

"I didn't see anything, did you, Jerry?" I smile.

"See what, Sergeant?" Jerry smirks.

"Internal Affairs is going to hear about this," he says, storming away.

"Jerry, Rachel."

"We're on it, Captain," I say, running through the door.

***

Julia

Remembering the gun inside the floor joist, I dart across the room. I know the loose board is underneath one of these rugs, but which one is it? Throwing the pieces of carpet aside, I start looking around. Hearing a loud thud coming from the door, I nervously glance up. I see the dresser moving a tiny bit with every bang. I've got to hurry, I think, frantically searching the floor. Pulling the piece loose, I start fumbling around. I'd just wrapped my fingers around the gun when the closet door flies open.

"You can't hide from me, Julia." Andy laughs, stepping out of the closet.

***

Larry

Lifting my head off the seat, I start looking around. I see Michaels and Jefferies unconscious on the front seat. Jefferies' chest is moving, but Michaels doesn't seem to be breathing. His face is sheet white, and he has several large wounds on his head.

Glancing out the window, I discover it's going to get dark real soon. I then realize there isn't a single car on the icy highway. Remembering the dash cam, I look towards the front, I see the equipment is shattered. It might be a while before someone finds us. I start to lean back on the seat when I hear mumbling coming from the front.

"Michaels, Michaels, wake up, man," Jeffries says, shaking his partner. He doesn't respond.

"Michaels, man come on, wake up."

"What happened?" his partner asks, rubbing his eyes.

"We had a wreck. Hang in there, ok?" Grabbing his phone, Jefferies quickly dials a number. "You ok back there?" he asks, turning towards me.

"Yeah, I think so."

"This is Detective Jeffries, we've had an accident on 160 and we need assistance. We're fine, but my partner is trapped behind the dash. Thank you." Taking the phone away from his ear, he looks at the caller id. "I need to take this, it's my Captain," he says, into the phone. Jefferies switches lines. "We hit a patch of black ice and slid off the road. We're fine Captain. Someone is coming to help us. Really, I'll let him know." Hanging up the phone, he turns towards me. "Guess what Larry?"

"I'm being transported to New York?" I say, noticing the red and blue lights coming towards us.

"You're being transported alright but not to New York. You're free to go once you get checked out."

"Free, you're messing with me, right?"

"No, the NYPD knows you didn't commit the murder."

"I'm free?"

"It gets even better, your wife and daughter are still alive."

"They're alive?"

"Yes, evidently, someone paid the ME to falsify the records."

"Lilly is alright?"

"You want to call and see for yourself?"

"Can I?"

Unlocking the door, Jefferies climbs out of the car.

"Wait a minute, Sir," a paramedic says, rushing towards him.

"I'm fine, I'm fine, go check on my partner." Opening the back door, he hands me the phone. "Why don't we get rid of these?" Grabbing his keys, he unlocks the metal bracelets.

"Jen, hi, it's Larry, can I talk to Lilly, please? Not anymore, I've been declared a free man. The police figured out I was being framed. I don't know by whom. Wait how did you know? Your mama told you the police thought you were dead? Why didn't you set them straight? I bet. Can I talk to Lilly now? You won't get another dime until I talk to her." I glance at the cop, "I figured that'd change her mind."

"She knew you were being sent away for her murder?"

"Yeah, her mama told her that the police believe I killed her and Lilly. She said she tried to tell the cops they made a mistake, but I don't think she did."

"Why do you think that?"

"She'd get everything I own if I go to jail. Hi Lilly, how are you, honey? I'm so glad. I miss you too, baby. You and mommy are going to move into the house? Oh, so she's going to sell the house when Uncle Marty calls." I glance up at Jefferies.

Grabbing the phone from my hands, he pushes a couple of buttons. Handing it back, he motions for me to continue.

"Mommy says we'll never have to worry about money again," Lilly says.

I see the officer write something in his notebook, then he lifts it up so I can read it.

Nodding, I continue. "What is Uncle Marty's last name, honey?"

"Marty."

"No, Marty is his first name, what is his last name?"

"I don't know."

Jefferies lifts up his notebook again. Nodding, I continue. "What does he look like, sweetheart?"

"He's almost as tall as you, he has long black hair and a fuzzy beard like Santa Clause."

"How old do you think he is?"

"He said he's grandpa's age."

"Sixty three," I whisper. "Did you hear what Mommy and Uncle Marty were talking about?"

"Uncle Marty said that she should have her money soon. Mommy says you better replace my car like you promised."

"What happened to her car, Honey?"

"Uncle Marty said he gave it a blood bath. Why would he do something so gross, Daddy?"

"I don't know. When was the last time you heard from Uncle Marty?"

"This morning, he called and told mommy to pack up her things."

"I have to go for now, but I'll call again later, alright?"

"When are you going to come see me, Daddy?"

"Soon baby, real soon, I promise."

"Love you, Daddy."

"I love you too, Lilly. Can I talk to your Mommy now?"

Grabbing the phone from my hands, Jefferies disconnects the call.

"Why did you do that for?" I question.

"I don't think it's a good idea for you to talk to her right now."

"Why?"

"Because you might tip her off, that would give her time to destroy the evidence."

"I see your point."

***

Julia

Scooping up the gun, I pull it out of its hiding spot.

"You're never going to hurt me again, Andy," I scream, pointing the gun at his chest.

Andy barrels towards me, knocking me to the floor, the weapon flies across the room.

"No, you're never going to hurt me, again," he says, banging my head against the floor.

Using every bit of strength I have left, I try shoving him away, his hefty body doesn't budge.

Grabbing my arms, he pins them with his knees. "I'm going to make sure you pay this time, Julia," he says. Balling up his fist, he punches me in the face.

"Please Andy, please stop," I beg.

"I'm not stopping until you're dead." He wheezes, punching me again and again.

Seeing the fury blazing in his eyes, I struggle to break free.

"You're not going anywhere," he says, moving his knees in closer.

Wrapping my legs around his neck, I pull him to the floor. Untangling my legs, I quickly scoot away.

"I'm going to get you, Julia," he screams, lugging his hefty body off the floor.

Grabbing the gun, I spin around. "Rot in hell, you bastard," I scream, pulling the trigger. Hearing a loud bang coming from across the room, I turn to see the door partially open. I'm ready for you, I think, steadying the gun in my hand.

Rachel is standing in the hallway when the door flies open. "Drop your weapon nice and slow," she instructs.

"He was going to kill me, Rachel, he was going to kill me," I bawl.

"Drop it, now."

I tearfully lower it to the floor.

***

Larry

I see the cops sitting on my porch when I return home. Thinking something's happened to Julia, I rush to the house.

"Where's Julia, is she alright, I need to see her?" I quickly blurt out.

"We've been waiting for you, Mr. Wilson," Joe says, walking towards me.

"W...what do you want with me?"

"You're under arrest for the murder of Debbie Myers."

"The gun went off on accident."

"How could you do such a horrible thing, murdering that poor girl?" Julia cries, rushing past me.

"Wait, Honey, I can explain."

"Explain it to the judge," Joe says, slapping cuffs on my wrists.

***

January 2017
Larry

That was the last time I saw Julia. Jen filed for a divorce the day I was taken away. Because of my infidelity, my criminal activities, and supposed abuse, the judge gave her the house, the car, and half of my life savings.

With nowhere to go and no means of support, I ended up on the streets soon after my release.

So you see, I'm not the bitter old man you think I am, without a life or purpose. I had it all until it was taken away.

I'm scanning the crowd for potential, contributors when I hear my name being called. I turn to see a cop walking towards me. Frightened, I run the other way. I'd only made it a couple of feet when another cop steps in front of me.

"Larry Wilson?" the officer repeats.

"Who's asking?" I nervously question.

"I'm your daughter, Lauren. Mama and I've been looking all over for you," the officer explains.

"Your mama?" Hearing footsteps behind me, I turn to see a beautiful blonde running my way. "Julia?" I ask.

"I'm sorry for turning against you the way I did. I should've known you'd never do anything like that. I should've known. Please forgive me, Larry, please, please forgive me," Julia bawls.

I did the first thing that came to mind, I gave her the most passionate kiss I could muster.

***

Julia

I've been watching the snow cover the ground for well over an hour. It looks like it's going to be a white Christmas after all, I think, glancing towards the tree. I then admire the vast decorations strung around the house. We did a good job, sprucing up the place, I proudly conclude. The house seems so warm, so cozy, the blazing fire adds to the homey feel.

Looking over, I see Larry on the couch, holding our grandbaby in his arms. Lauren is sitting beside him, her head against his shoulder. Larry and I are to be married Christmas day, Lauren the maid of honor. This is the way it was meant to be, I tearfully think, rubbing my pregnant belly.



Characters

Julia murder suspect, Larry's live in girlfriend
Larry Lawyer and a murder suspect.
Joe Captain of the Berryville PD.
Rachel Sergeant of the Berryville PD Married to Joe. They have two children.
Jerry Detective of the Berryville PD.
Kirk Detective of the Berryville PD.
Allen DA of the Berryville PD.
Andy Julia's first husband.
Bill Julia's second husband.
Marty Vinnie's uncle, a suspect and long rival of Joe's.
James the cab driver and a suspect.
the Wagners the owners of the cab company.
















Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.