Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted August 10, 2017 Chapters: 5 6 -7- 8... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
True story

A chapter in the book Truth and Fantasy

Travel

by Bucketlist


It began with my husband's transfer to Italy for a 3 year assignment. We had just flown in from the States on a 7 1/2 hour flight. We were tired, had luggage, two young children , and could not speak the language. The airport was on a strip of land across water from Venice. We had to transfer from there to the canals by bus. After a laborious bus ride we got off and headed for the water taxis. They would take us across to Venice itself, so we could find a hotel for the night.

It was getting darker, and we were sitting in the front of the rocking 'dock' to wait for the water taxi. We were looking forward to being in romantic Venice. Everything was calm, until suddenly the water taxi pulled up to the dock. Out of nowhere came a talking, laughing, rushing crowd of people. Instead of the calm boarding, all bedlam broke loose. Pushing and shoving, the crowd surged past us into the taxi boat. We were several feet behind them picking up our scattered luggage.The driver would not wait. He raced the boat into mid canal across to 'romance city' leaving us bewildered, abandoned, and alone on the 'dock.'

It was the end of the Italian work day. I learned very quickly how 'laid back' Italians turned into frantic ill mannered folk when any public transport is used. There is no such thing as a line or order in Italy! There were yet many lessons to learn (not all bad) about Italian life!



True Story contest entry


Photo courtesy of pixabay
Bedlam broke loose - means chaos
Laid back - easy going, patient
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bucketlist All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Bucketlist has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.