Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 24, 2017 Chapters:  ...15 16 -17- 18... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Julia is trying to prove Larry's innocence.

A chapter in the book Travesty of Justice

Indubitable Proof

by Mistydawn


Brief Summary
Julia kills her first husband, Andy to escape an abusive relationship. She steals his mistress's ID and moves to Arkansas.
She starts a career and a family under the fictitious name.
Everything is going well until the police discover a knife from another murder in her car. She claims she purchased it from a homeless man, for her second husband's birthday. Hearing about her arrest, her second husband Bill puts a restraining order on her and then moves the kids out of the city. Julia bonds out and is awaiting trial.

Marty threatens to kill Larry's family if he doesn't win Vinnie's case.
Larry recently found out his estranged wife and daughter are dead. He's being expedited to New York where the murders took place.

***********
Rachel

Seeing the confused look on Joe's face, I start explaining what we discovered.

"Larry's family is alive?"

"Yes, the mom said Jen and Lilly came home Sunday evening and left again this morning. The police report confirms that the car was stolen from the airport and she's still alive."

"Is the police department rechecking the Identifications?"

"Yeah, but they still have a witness that puts Larry at the crime scene and a picture of him coming in and leaving the city. So even if we prove that isn't them, he'll still be wanted for murder."

"Keep working on the blackmail theory; see what you can come up with. I'll see if Jerry can find someone that'll place him in town last weekend."

"What about the surveillance camera and the witness in New York?"

"I'll look into them."

***

I walk in to find Julia pacing around the room.

"What did you find out?" she asks, nervously running towards me.

"You're right his wife and daughter are alive."

"So Larry is free to go, right?"

"I'm afraid it's not that simple. See the police have a video that shows him going into New York and an eye witness that puts him at the murder scene."

"No, it can't be him. It just can't be, he was with me all weekend," she tearfully replies, falling in her chair.

"Can anyone confirm this?"

"We stayed in all weekend preparing my case. Did you find the tape I was telling you about?"

"It isn't with the other evidence so I'm having uniforms go back to the house, see if they missed it." Hearing a tap on the door, I turn around.

"Can I speak to you a minute, Sergeant?"

"What is it, Kirk?" Stepping into the hall, I closed the door behind me.

"The tape was logged in, but seems to have disappeared."

"You've looked through all the boxes?"

"Yes, and it's not there. I asked if anyone signed them out and the property clerk says no one has touched them since he's checked them in."

"Does he remember seeing the tape?"

"Yes, he said he put it on top, so it wouldn't get damaged."

"Wait; shouldn't the officers have the evidence with them, when they expedite Larry?"

"You'd think so since it pertains to his case."

"This whole thing is getting fishier by the minute."

"You don't think the New York Police Department and our police department are working together to frame him, do you, Sergeant?"

"With the wrong identification and everything else that's going on, I'm beginning to wonder."

"Speaking of everything else going on, I located a charge to the deli on Julia's account."

"So she was at the deli when the murder occurred?"

"I don't know if she was at the deli, but she did stop off for a breakfast sandwich before the murder occurred."

"Check surveillance tapes, see if you can find her."

"I already have, Sergeant."

"Try again, this time, use the specific timeline."

"Yes, ma 'am," he says, trudging towards his desk.

"Kirk."

"Yes, ma 'am," he says, turning around.

"Good work."

"Thank you, Sergeant."

Julia is still pacing the floor when I walk into the room.

"Did you find something, Sergeant?" she asks.

"Not yet, but I wanted to ask you something about your case."

"My case, oh my God, my case is supposed to resume on Monday."

"I'm sure the judge will grant a continuance."

"I sure hope so."

"Who's the Judge?"

"Judge Williams."

"I'll see what I can do."

"Thank you, Sergeant."

"You said you stopped at the deli the morning you were arrested, right?"

"Yeah."

"Did you order your breakfast and leave or stay at the restaurant?"

"I stayed there."

"Ok, so do you remember where you sat that day?"

"I sat at the corner booth closest to the restrooms, why?"

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I always sit there. Why does all of this matter, anyhow?"

"We're trying to find you on the video."

"So you believe me?"

"I'm starting to. I'll see what I can do about the judge." I say, turning towards the door.

"Sergeant, can I use the restroom, please?"

"It's down the hall to your right."

"Thank you," she says, running for the door.

"You know you're free to go anytime you want, right?"

"No."

"Since the ankle monitor shows you were in town during the time of the murder, you're free to go, but I'm hoping you'll stick around and help us with Larry's case."

"I will, just let me go pee first," she says, throwing the door open.

I walk over to the captain's office and knock on the door.

"Captain, I wanted to let you know that Kirk is talking to the manufacturer to see if they can trace where and when the phone was bought. Kirk also found a deli purchase on Julia's credit card the day she was arrested, he's trying to find her on the video, now."

"I've been looking at the footage of Larry coming in and leaving the city. There's a clear view of his car, but not who's driving it, see," he says, replaying the tape.

"Play it again."

"This is the only shot of the driver," he says, pausing the video.

"It kind of looks like him," I say, zooming in the picture.

"Yeah, but it kind of looks like Kirk too."

"What looks like me?" Kirk asks, walking into the office.

"This picture," Joe says, pointing to the screen.

"You're right it kind of does. Who is that supposed to be?"

"Larry Wilson."

"Yeah, maybe," he says, studying the picture closer.

"Do you have something, Kirk?"

"The lab found one set of prints on the envelope, Julia Moffat's."

"She probably moved it," I say.

"Yeah, maybe, did you find out anything about the burner phone?" the captain asks.

"It was bought at the local radio shack. I'm having the store check their receipts now. Oh, and Rachel, the judge said he'll give Julia a week to find a new lawyer, get him up to speed."

"I'll go tell her."

"Be sure to ask about the fingerprints," the captain says.

"I will."

I see Julia walking back to the room, her arms loaded with junk food.

"You found the snack machine, I see."

Julia giggles. "I don't normally eat this way, but I'm famished."

"We could've called out for something."

"Now you tell me."

"What would you like?"

"I'm good for now."

"Ok, but let me know if you change your mind."

"I will."

"Here, let me get that for you," I say, opening the door.

"Thanks, Sergeant."

"I have some good news for you."

"Larry's free?"

"No, the judge is giving you a week to find a lawyer."

"That's good news for me," she says, dropping the packages on the table.

"I need to ask you about the envelope the police found in your car."

"It's not my car, it's Larry's. Mine is being held at the police impound."

"You said you hadn't seen the envelope before, right?"

"I hadn't seen the pictures. I saw the envelope lying on the floorboard when I was leaving court this afternoon. So I picked it up and put it back on the seat.

"Wasn't it in the car this morning?"

"I didn't notice it, but I was so distracted I could've easily missed it."

"Sergeant, can I talk to you for a minute, please?" Jerry asks, peeking his head in the door.

"What is it, Jerry?"

"There's been another killing over on Main Street."

"I'll be right back, Julia."

"I'll be here," she mumbles through a mouthful of food.

"That's Julia?"

"Yeah, she's trying to help us with Larry's case."

"Well if she's here then that means she can't be the killer, not this time at least."

***

I see Jeff busily logging in the evidence when I pull up to the crime scene. Looking around, I see the rest of my crew quickly processing the area.

"Hi, Sergeant," Jeff says, placing a small envelope into a box.

"What happened here?"

"The victim was shot in the head with a 22."

"Do you have any evidence?"

"We've found a shell casing, a footprint and a woman's bracelet."

"A woman's bracelet?"

"Yeah, one of the officers said it's a Pandora Bracelet."

"Can I see it?" Pulling a clear bag from the box, he hands it to me.

"The only store that carries these is Jared's. I think the nearest one is in Conway. I'll look into that. I want you to check for DNA and fingerprints."

"I will."

"Let me know what you find," I say, answering my phone.

"Sergeant Bower, I'll be right there."

"Who was that, Sergeant?" Kirk asks.

"Jerry, he said that Julia remembers something that might help Larry's case."

***

I see Julia finishing her snacks when I walk in the door.

"I heard you thought of something that might help Larry?"

"Yeah, I remember ordering take out Saturday afternoon from Geraldo's. The charge should be on his credit card and the delivery boy will confirm Larry was home with me."

"We'll look into that." Glancing towards her arm I continue. "Where's your pretty bracelet?"

Julia quickly checks her wrists. "Oh my God it's gone," she says. Jumping up from her chair, she starts looking around.

"Maybe I lost it in the restroom or by the vending machines," Julia exclaims, dashing towards the door. She bumps into the captain on her way through.

"Sorry about that," she apologizes, trying to slide past him.

"What's your hurry?" he asks, stepping in front of her.

"I just realized that I lost my bracelet."

"Is this the one you're looking for?" Joe asks, holding it out in front of her.

"Yeah, that's it. Why are there red dots all over it?"

"Are you talking about the specks of blood?"

"Blood, I didn't cut myself did I?" she asks, checking her wrists.

"It's the victim's blood, not yours."

"Victim, what victim, I don't understand."

"The bracelet was found at a murder scene a few blocks from here."

"H....how did it get there?" she tearfully asks.

"You tell me."

"I.... I don't know," she stutters, glancing towards me.

"Julia Moffitt, you're under arrest for murder."

"Murder?"

"You have the right to remain silent."

"I didn't do it, I swear I didn't."

"You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney one will be appointed to you. Do you understand your rights?"

"Yes, but I didn't do it. I couldn't have, I was here all day. Please, Sergeant; please tell him I was here all day."

"She's been helping me with the case all afternoon, Captain."

"She could've slipped out when you weren't looking."

"I haven't left the room."

"Then what's this?" Picking up empty wrappers, he shoves them in her face.

"I did go to the bathroom and the vending machine once, but that's the only time I left."

"She wasn't gone very long, Captain," I quickly add.

"We'll just see about that. Turn around, hands behind your back," the captain orders.

"But I..... I didn't do it." Julia tearfully protests.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.