Biographical Non-Fiction posted July 18, 2017 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Chapter of success

A chapter in the book Lamentations of a Lost Laddy

the Icing on the Cake

by Badger_29




Background
The previous Chapters include details from my childhood, and living in Sacramento, California. Other Chapters include a personal testimony, and a tribute to my father.
As I stated in a previous chapter, I have been living in Del Paso Heights, a suburb of Sacramento, California since March of 2016.  The owners of the property, known as "Northside Recovery", Bill and Patty B, have been helping people for over twenty-five years now, and they are ready to retire.  So, they put the whole lot up for sale: consisting of about one-half acre, with seven dwellings.  The biggest is the main house, where I lived.  The other quarters are the owners' house, two of the managers who live on grounds, and five two-bedroom cottages.  These are for people who put in their time, and earn this spacious privelege.  At one point in time, I was going to move into a cottage, but it turmed out to not happen, due to a conflict of personalities. 

Well, Bill and Patty got very excited, because after only being on the market for about three months, they found a buyer.  We were given two-weeks notice to find another place to live.  Bill G, the main manager, really went out of his way to get us all places to live, except for the ones who chose to go to the streets.  He found me a room in a large, spacious house about ten miles north of Northeside Recovery.   It is owned by a very gracious hostess, Diane, who is also in recovery.  She resides there with her father, Ted, who had suffered a stroke.  He was doing quite well, in spite of that, at seventy-nine years old.  Jimmy also lives there, a very nice and helpful young gentleman.  The last resident was Michael, another older gentleman.  I paid the same amount on rent, $550.00 a month, but here it included food. 

It was a very quiet and peaceful place, next to the Chapel Chimes Cemetary.  A male buff-colored Cocker Spaniel and four roosters completed the count, with the latter gleefully announcing the rising of the sun every day.

I have been working a lot, and the biggest problem was that I lived so far from a bus or train stop.  So, in order to plan wisely, it was neccessary for me to get up three hours before work.

Then, something unexpected happened: the deal fell through, and Norhside did not get sold.  Bill G. called me, and told me that there was an opening in a two-bedroom cottage.  I accepted, and moved in on June 29th.  Now, not only do I have my own room, but it is in a lovely cottage situated amidst a gated courtyard.  There are four other cottages, and then the owner's house, and Bill G's house.  The image is the front of my cottage.

There are laundry facilities, a lush green lawn, roses, and a hammock.  It is very peaceful and quiet.  I like to sit out front in the morning and enjoy my coffee as I practice my classical music.

I have my music, my writng, and an extensive bead kit.  I am more content than I have ever been, and I have sufficient money to cook nice meals, and pursue all of my hobbies, one of which is cooking.  So, I am including with this chapter one of my own signature recipes that I have developed.

I know that The Good Lord works in strange and mysterious ways.  When I entered recovery, and started giving EVERYTHING to him, and being thankful for ALL that He has done in my life, I am rewarded with even more.  Romans 8:28 states, "And we know that ALL things work to the good for those who love God, to those who are called for His purpose"   Furthermore, I will claim Proverbs 3:5-Trust The Lord thy God in all thy ways, and lean not unto thy own understanding; 6-Acknowledge Him in all thy ways, and He will direct thy paths.  He has blessed me immeasurably, and I am very thankful.

So, won't you please join me and enjoy life, in all of its fullness~




Written June and July, 2017-----------------------------------------
Blackberry Chess Cake

1 yellow or butter cake mix,
1 package room-temp cream cheese
1 16oz. can Mandarin orange segments,
3 c fresh or frozen blackberries (or fruit of your preference. I originally used cherries)


Prepare mix as directed, but separate the eggs first, and beat the egg whites to a firm peak, as if making meringue. Then fold into the cake mixture, after beating in the cream cheese.

Place in a pan coated with shortening and flour; then put berries and mandarin segments on top They will settle as the dessert bakes.

The thinner the better, as thick cakes of this type do not cook well in the middle. If the cooking time is 40 minutes, check then, and every ten minutes, as this mixture takes longer to solidify.

Icing:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1teaspoon vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar, plus more as needed
2 tbsp. blackberry juice.

1. In large bowl, beat softened butter and cream cheese with electric mixer on medium speed 2 to 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally, until smooth and creamy.

2. Stir in vanilla and berry juice, then stir in powdered sugar. Add more powdered sugar as needed until frosting is a thick spreadable consistency.

Let cake cool before frosting.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Badger_29 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Badger_29 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.