Satire Flash Fiction posted June 28, 2017


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a satirical fable

Memorial Wall

by RodG


In the summer of 2057, I was touring Washington, D. C. with my ten-year-old grandson Braden. It was his first visit. The day before we had a tour of the White House and Congress. Today we were walking through the National Mall and Memorial Parks, hoping we had time and stamina to get to all the presidential monuments. As could be expected, Braden was awed by the height of the Washington Monument and the size of Lincoln sitting in his chair.

We were working our way around the northern edge of the park when Braden spotted a brick wall in a seemingly-untended garden. Curious, he dragged me toward it.

"What does it say on the plaque, Braden?" I asked.

"Ah . . . the Trump Wall. Who was Trump, Grandpa? A president?"

"Yes."

"When?"

"Oh, 'round forty years ago. Your mother was one or two. Man had less than one term and no major accomplishments except for a wall he had built on our side of the Mexican border."

"We were in El Paso and southern Arizona last summer, Grandpa. I don't remember seeing any wall."

"Well, we saw what's left of it, ruins near Nogales."

"I thought those were Indian-made, like the pueblos."

"Nope. Trump built it. Cost tax payers like me billions."

"Why didn't it last?"

"Americans living there finally got smart and tore it down. Remembered what this country was founded on: freedom to come and go. We're a country of immigrants, Braden. Always have been, always will be. Those Martians who arrived last week would never have been allowed in if Trump were still president. Fortunately, he got impeached and kicked out of the White House."

"Why?"

"Lies. Too many. Got caught but bought his way out of a prison term."

"If he was a bad man, who built that monument?"

"He did . . . five years after he was thrown out of office. Man still had an ego and plenty of money. Once upon a time that wall was bigger. After he died, his sons, daughter let it deteriorate. Didn't want to be reminded of who their father was, I guess . . . But they're all broke now since Daddy never paid his taxes and the IRS took everything."

"In my history class this year we studied about many of the presidents. Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, and two Roosevelts. My teacher never mentioned Trump, and I haven't read about him."

"Good. Obscurity is what that man deserves."

"Can we visit the Jefferson Memorial next?"

"Yep, and on the way you can tell me all about him."

"Well, he wrote the Declaration of Independence, bought lots of land from France, and sent Lewis and Clark off . . ."

And the moral of the story is: Americans will not be deceived for long.



Write a Modern Fable writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a short fable-like story where the last sentence starts with: "And the moral of the story is". This can be on any subject, true or fictional, and can be in any voice, as long as the moral is stated in the last line. A new twist on an old fable is also allowed.


The clipart is courtesy of Google images.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. RodG All rights reserved.
RodG has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.