Romance Poetry posted June 15, 2017 Chapters:  ...118 119 -121- 122... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Tirell Sonnet

A chapter in the book The Sonnets

Dances in the Ferns

by Treischel



A female form, she dances in the ferns.
Such grace displayed there, singing as she turns.

A captivating, undulating voice.
Appealing sound, with impact most profound.
My heartbeats joined the rhythm of her choice.

A stunning sight, this vision spun around
in wild abandon. Made my eyes rejoice!
Imagining the goddess Eurydice,
unclothed and free upon this fern-filled ground.

I must be dreaming. Visions oft' entice.
The mind unravels and becomes unsound.
And yet, I see her without prejudice.

Such grace displayed there, singing as she turns.
A female form, she dances in the ferns.






This is an image that I captured of a statue in the Como Park Conservatory Fern Room, in St. Paul Minnesota. It is a statue upon a fountain in a large opening in the middle of the room. I went out and shot this through the ferns that surround the room. I think it come out lovely. It inspired this poem.

Eurydice is a Greek goddess.She was the sister of Apollo. Eurydice was the wife of Orpheus, who loved her dearly; on their wedding day, he played joyful songs as his bride danced through the meadow. One day, Aristaeus saw and pursued Eurydice, who stepped on a viper, was bitten, and died instantly. Orpheus tried to bring her back from the dead with his enchanting music. She was said to have a beautiful singing voice.

This poem is a Tirell Sonnet.
A Tirrell Sonnet was created by Robert Tirrell Leonard, a poet from Woburn, MA. who is also a politician and author of several poetry collections.
The Tirrell Sonnet (an American model), is quite different and has a unique feel to it. It starts with a couplet followed by a Tercet, followed by a quatrain, adding the turn with a following Tercet and then reversing the order of the repeated couplet as a sort of refrain.
So it is: Couplet + Tercet + Quatrain + Tercet + reversed Couplet.
It features only 3 rhymes (a,b,and c). It is written in iambic pentameter.
This can create an introspective feel to the whole poem.
The rhyme scheme is:
A1, A2 - b,c,b - c,b,b,c - b,c,b - A2, A1,
where the capital letters indicate the repeated verses and the numbers provide identification.

In this one, I did resort to some near rhymes.

This photograph was taken by the author himself on March 15, 2012.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.