Romance Poetry posted May 26, 2017 Chapters:  ...88 91 -92- 93... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Tory Hexatet Sonnet

A chapter in the book The Sonnets

The Passion of Pan (Lilac Legend)

by Treischel



The Greek god, Pan, a goat-like man, loves sylvan glens.
On flute he'd sport, dance and cavort, to much appeal,
while searching damsels in the local fields and fens.
This satyr found ideal, a maiden most surreal.
Syringa had created passion in his mind,
but she rejected Pan, and ran through woods to stream.
At edge, some spirits pledge to make her hard to find.
They turned her to a lilac. Pan had lost his dream.

But then, winds whispered through her wood.
Pan thought the music very good.

He found her to be, a very musical tree.
So he cleverly took her, trimmed her stems and tips,
creating fragrant flute. His passion meant to be.
Now she's a constant consort, often at his lips.






The botanical name for the Lilac is Syringa. Actually Lilac is the French name for this fragrant, early spring bloomer, that flowers for only a couple of weeks, after which it provides a dense green bush. I have provided here the Greek legend of the Lilac. Pan was a Satyr and Syringa was a beautiful Woods Nymph. The wood of the lilac bush actually can be made into a flute, in the spring while the sap is running strong. The bark can be made to slip off the stem, the wood notched, and then the bark holed and slipped back on.

This poem is a Tory Hexatet.
This is a sonnet form created by Victoria Sutton aka PassionsPromise and named by Larry Eberhart, aka Lawrencealot.

It consists of an Octet + couplet + quatrain, with a rhyme scheme of:

ababcdcd ee ffgg.

The format features the first eight lines (the Octet) in 12 syllable iambic hexameter, but the rhyming couplet holds to eight syllables (iambic tetrameter), located at line 9, rather than at the end. The last four lines of the closing quatrain revert back to 12 syllables. So the poem retains the signature total 14 lines of a Sonnet.
The couplet in the center provides the "changing point", or volta. The shorter meter provides a visual, as well as oral impact. Thus, It makes a direct statement and could be read by itself.

This photograph was taken by the Author himself on May 16, 2016 at Hamlin Park in St. Paul Park, Minnesota.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.