General Poetry posted May 16, 2017 Chapters:  ...64 73 -74- 81... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Sestina Sonnet

A chapter in the book The Sonnets

Gliding Therapy

by Treischel


Fine days upon the Mississippi flow
are wonderful sweet times to be outside,
to take a chance to be in boats that row,
to exercise on working gear that glide.

Oh, what a thrill, to feel that sleek craft glide,
while passing lovely landscape as you row,
to pull upstream or race down with the flow,
experiencing wonders found outside!

It seems we're at our best when we're outside.
I know for me, it makes my juices flow.
It yields that place to let our problems glide,
or sort them, like ducks swimming in a row.

Outside brings therapy with row, row, row-
a healthy glide to help go with the flow.






I observed these ladies sculling on the Mississippi the other day, and was inspired to write this Sonnet. It was a lovely day.

This poem is a Sestina Sonnet.
A Sestina is unusual in that it doesn't use rhyme, but instead uses the same words repeated in different sequences for each stanza. So it mimics rhyme by repeating (or parroting) the same words, only un a specific sequence. Normally, the Sestina has 6 repeated words sequences over six verses and a closing Tercet that uses all six words. But, in order to accommodate a Sonnet, it has been modified to have only 4 words ending each line of a Quatrain repeated over three verses, plus with a closing couplet that incorporates all four of the key words. It is not necessary to choose words that rhyme, but I like to, as it then gives a nice rhymed sequence. Note also that the fixed sequence causes the last word of each stanza to repeat as the first end-word of the next stanza.
So, if you identify the four words with the letters A,B,C, and D, the word sequence for the Sonnet is:
ABCD DCAB BADC (BC)(DA),
Where the letters in parens represent two words in each line of the couplet.

For this poem, I chose the 4 Words as:
A - Flow
B - Outside
C - Row
D -Glide

This photograph was taken by the author himself on May 3, 2017.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.