Biographical Non-Fiction posted May 15, 2017 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
...how it all started

A chapter in the book Family Poems and Stories 2010-2017

Minneapolis Adventure - Part I

by Mustang Patty


               I was at the Portland Airport bright and early on Tuesday morning.  My flight was at six o'clock AM and I knew getting through Security could be tricky for the early travelers.  I was pleasantly surprised to find upon checking my bag and picking up my boarding pass that I qualified for TSA pre-check.  This status would take me through Security much faster, and I didn't need to remove my shoes or jewelry!
              
               The airport was already busy at four forty-five in the morning, and I waited in line to get some much-needed coffee.  A Mocha with an extra shot of espresso was just the thing to clear my head and get my day started.  I was excited, nervous and anxious to see my son.  It had been a few months over a year since I'd last had the chance to hug him and tell him how much I love him in person.
 
               Boarding for my flight was called promptly at five thirty, and I grabbed a window seat, since I was in the A group on the Southwest Airlines trip. Buckled in with my carry-on carefully stowed under the seat in front of me, I prepared for take-off.  I'm a very nervous flyer and visions of plane crashes flashed through my head.
 
               My layover was in Denver, and everything went smoothly.  I had plenty of time to find the next gate, and before I knew it, I was in my next window seat.  I breathed a sigh of relief as the plane landed in Minneapolis.
 
               Texts to Gregory:
 
               1:16 PM               Mom has landed
 
               1:20 PM               Are you here?  We were about twenty minutes early.
 
               1:30 PM               Heading to baggage claim – we will meet there
                           
               1:45 PM               Since you're not here yet, I'm going to grab a coffee at the shop right across from baggage claim.         
 
                2:00 PM               Greg?
 
                 2:30 PM               Really Gregory?
 
                 3:00 PM               I'm going to take a cab to the hotel
 
 
                  I was beside myself.  What on earth could possibly have kept him from the airport?  Just the day before he was texting with me about how excited he was for my visit.  Had he been arrested?  Was he sick?  I was scared, worried, and very hurt.  It had been over thirty-five years since I'd been stood up at the airport.
 
                  The cab ride to the hotel was solemn for me.  I looked around at this new city and wondered where on earth my son was.  I knew he lived in the downtown area, and that's where my hotel was, but I was very confused and very sad.  The trip wasn't off to a very good start.
 
                  Checking into the hotel, I asked if anyone had been there looking for me.  The concierge told me no, and helped me with my bags.  He let me into my room and handed me my key.  I was crushed beyond belief.
 
                   The room was beautiful.  I had gotten a suite so Gregory could spend this time with me if he wanted.  I looked from the sitting room to the bedroom with a deep sigh.  The luxurious bathroom wasn't helping my heartache.  I checked my phone for any texts I might have missed.  Nothing.
 
                   Resigning myself to having a four-day writer's retreat, I kicked off my shoes and turned on the TV.  I fell asleep with a broken heart.
 
                   About five o'clock my cell phone announced Gregory's ring tone.  "Your son is attempting to reach you on your cellular device.  Your son is attempting to reach you…"
 
                   "Hello.  Gregory?"
 
                  "Mommy, I am so sorry.  I fell asleep.  Oh, I feel so bad."  His voice sounded like he was crying.  I knew he felt bad, but I needed time to process my own feelings.
 
                  "Let's just start over fresh tomorrow.  I'm exhausted.  I'll meet you for breakfast at the hotel restaurant.  Be here by eight o'clock and we'll go from there."
 
                   As I hung up the phone, I offered a silent prayer that he was okay.  I tucked away my anger and resentment for his drug use.  I vowed to make this a pleasant experience for both of us.
 



Recognized


So, I'm back in Keizer, and I've had some rest. I will present the trip in two parts, because as you can see, it had an inauspicious beginning, and I was so disappointed. However, things got better and I am happy to share the good news with you all. Thank you for your prayers and well wishes - they were and are greatly appreciated.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.