Biographical Non-Fiction posted April 23, 2017 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
How I was chosen; a personal testimony

A chapter in the book Lamentations of a Lost Laddy

Darren is Called

by Badger_29




Background
The first two chapters are a glimpse of my childhood. Chapters 3-7 deal with recovery, and my life in Sacramento, from 2015 on.
Hi.  My name is Darren, and I found out at the age of seventeeen that there is a lot more to life than partying and raising hell.  (I turned out to be the only hell my mama ever raised)

Not that I am a big hell raiser, I was actually blessed with a loving, caring, and nurturing family.

Born April 20, 1963 at Washoe Medical Center in Reno, NV.  I have two older brothers (my immediate family), and a younger sister.  

Bruce is four years older than me, Shawn two, and Sara is twelve years younger.

I had a magical childhood, I have lead an extravagant life, and I have enjoyed the best of both worlds, good and bad.

My first job was at a dump in Carson City, Nevada at the age of fifteen.  I got paid cash under the table, and it instilled a good work attitude for future jobs.  I collected recyclables, cleaned up discarded brick, and other various landfill duties.

My second job was at Village Inn Pancake House, in Rock Springs Wyoming.  I was sixteen, and I learned to hustle pan flipping eggs, while the wheel was wrapped, and the harried waitresses were scrambling for their orders.  

One of the most rewarding things about this job was learning to appreciate the finer art of cooking breakfast, and separating to beat the egg whites up fluffy to make the best pancake batter.

I was also be exposed to what was to be some of the most valuable advice that I ever considered.

My Boss, Dennis, told me,
"It is a good idea to come to the job with a professionsl attitude."

And this implies a lot of things; being prompt (at least fifteen minutes early), clean, with appropriate clothes, you don't gossip, steal, lie, or bear false witness, you pay your debts, and you strive to become part of the solution, not the problem.

But, he also added that it is a good idea to adopt this attitude in LIFE.   And that advice just stuck.

Next, at the age of seventeen, I worked for Charles Brown and his loving wife at Eugene's Pizza, in Green River, Wyoming.
Here my duties were: making pizza dough, constructing mouth-watering pizzas, sub-sandwiches, and soups, maintaining the salad bar, and prep cooking.

Charles was a kind, patient boss, with a good attitude, and a compliment for everyone.  He exhibited a sunny disposition that was immediately engaging.

One day he hosted a
"Full Gospel Businessmen's Meeting", and invited me to grab a soda and take a break.

The first thing they did was pray, and give thanks for their many blessings.
Some of the men were praying in a different language, and I wondered, but figured that it was some tongue I had never heard.

Then they did some laying on of hands, and healing.  
Now, I was quite skeptical when I saw a man was healed for having one leg longer than the other, I fugured they were pulling my leg, pun intended.

Then they had an altar call.  

The man got up, and asked if "anyone" felt the need to ask Jesus into their life.

I was a long-haired, pot and tobacco smoking kid, and I did NOT want anything to do with those Jesus freaks, or what appeared to me to be a phony presentation.

However, before I knew what was happening, something was pulling at my heart; some invisible strings seemed to be connected.  

As I reluctantly but undeniably stepped forward, I was crying.  

Now, I have always placed a great deal of value on this activity, and do it daily, but usually not in public, after the age of about eleven.

Looking back, I realize that the tears represented a couple of things:

That I was in love with the world, but had to learn to leave these "earthly" pleasures behind;
that I was being granted a huge gift of eternal life, which I had little comprehension as to the value, scope, and significance, and
It was the end of innocence.

I Peter 2:9-10 states:


9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy. 

So, I came to learn that my name was written in the Book Of Life before the foundation of the world.  And, I am peculiar.

Now, my logical, scientific mind is screaming,
"If this is all written, then are we mere robots?"

But, I have come to find out that the answer is  resounding NO!  

We have been granted the choice of free will, and the most important thing to me is to fulfill the Great Commission, to actively seek where I can find those lost sheep, and gently lead them into, or back into the fold.  

It is literally as simple as that.

Now, it has not been easy, but I have come to find out that God has groomed me for His good purpose.
He has blessed me abundantly, lead, protected, and guided me every step of the way.

Even when I was doing wrong, or especially  when I was doing wrong.

He has amazingly and undeniably proven His existence to me beyond any questionable doubt, and I am so grateful.

The best way for me to explain this is with scripture.

John
Chapter 10

1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.

2 But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.

3 To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.

4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.

5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.

6 This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them.

7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.

8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.

9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

~And here is my favorite part~

10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

~For I am living that abundant life!~

11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

I am a preacher, philosopher, and poet, and these three P's work for the good in my life.

I believe implicitly in The Good Book, for I know in my heart that God, who was wise enough to create all of the splendor of this magnificent world, and the heavens, and the vast galaxies, is faithful and just to have an accurate copy of His Word available to His followers.

I will claim Romans 8:28, which says:


"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."

There you have it.  Not some things, not good things, and not bad things.
All things.

Furthermore, verses 29-31 are more evidence of my calling:


29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

And yet, this is still just the beginning of this wonderful and exciting path which I have chosen.  Won't you consider following?

Revelation 3:20

"Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me."

It is my prayer that this testimony is presented with a special blessing to all who read and hear, and I state this on April 23, 2017, being of a sound mind, in The Name Of Jesus Christ.


 




 




This has been a hard, but vastly rewarding road, filled with miracles. Some small and almost unnoticeable, some that rock my world with outstanding clarity and far reaching repercussions; much like a ripple of goodness.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Badger_29 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Badger_29 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.