General Poetry posted April 12, 2017 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 14... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Poetry Potlatch practice piece/NaPoWriMo

A chapter in the book Echoes of Artistry

Beatrix Potter, In Memento

by ~Dovey


Those were the days when, without fail
our Easter morning rite;
to read,
the classic Peter Rabbit tale,
as it brought such delight,
agreed?

When eggs we'd color, bold and bright,
or pastel, like the Spring
flowers,
then they were hidden out of sight;
what joy the hunt would bring
for hours.




 



Recognized


Artwork: Public domain image of the first edition, The Tale of Peter Rabbit, 1902

Memento, created by Emily Romano is a poem about a holiday or an anniversary, consisting of two stanzas as follows: the syllable count should be 8 beats for line one; 6 beats for line two; and two beats for line three. This is repeated twice for each stanza. The rhyme scheme is: a/b/c/a/b/c for each of the two stanzas.

An excerpt from Allpoetry.com (https://allpoetry.com/Beatrix-Potter)

Beatrix Potter
1866-1943

Helen Beatrix Potter was born in 1866, in South Kensington, London. Potter lived a secure childhood at home, with her younger brother Bertram. She was taught by governesses, and learned reading by Sir Walter Scott's novels. At age fifteen, she began a diary, and invented a code to write in it. This she continued till the age of thirty. It was decoded by the engineer Leslie Linde; after seven years of deciphering, it was published.

In the 1890's, "The Tale of Peter Rabbit," and some other short animal stories, originally written to amuse the sickly child of one of her governesses, after first being rejected, were self-published. They brought her immediate recognition. Up till 1913, she continued to write her animal stories and illustrate them with water-colour. Her books portray animals wearing clothing, but otherwise, she did treat her animal or human characters realistically, without sentiment, imaginatively, but clearly. Among her stories there are a few poems, as well. Their simple humour had appealed to children and adults alike since their first publication.

We have a Little Garden
By Beatrix Potter, in her "Peter Rabbit" books

WE have a little garden,
A garden of our own,
And every day we water there
The seeds that we have sown.

WE love our little garden,
And tend it with such care,
You will not find a faced leaf
Or blighted blossom there.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. ~Dovey All rights reserved.
~Dovey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.