Commentary and Philosophy Script posted April 8, 2017 Chapters:  ...15 16 -17- 18... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
One Act Script-Speech

A chapter in the book Scripts

Not an Impossible Dream

by michaelcahill


Fade in
A single microphone stands in front of City Hall. A small crowd, two camera operators, and   a small conclave of reporters wait. Florence "Flo" Sutton is about to announce her candidacy for President of the United States.
 

Flo
I'm running for President. I have no backing; indeed, I seek backing.

I plan to tell you what I think we need to do and if that sounds like a good idea to you, then I'd appreciate your help and support.

I'll be working for you, so what you tell me will have a great influence on me. I have strong beliefs, but if I find during my journey that I stand for something you don't want then I will consider it in all seriousness. I may change my mind, I may not. In either case, I will tell you in plain English what I've decided and why. You will continue to support me or cease supporting me based on the absolute truth. I won't have it any other way and neither should you.

Let me give you some basics. These are simple, but concrete and real. I will seek a flat tax of twenty percent on all income both personal, corporate and non-profit. There will be no exceptions of any kind. There will be one simple deduction available to taxpayers. A personal deduction of ten thousand dollars for an individual tax payer. This would double for a couple, any manner of couple, married, or living together under any circumstance. Corporations would also be able to claim the twenty-thousand-dollar deduction as would non-profits. This, in effect, would exempt an individual making fifty thousand or less, or a couple making one hundred thousand or less, from any tax liability.

Corporations would immediately lose their defacto citizenship under my administration. No, a corporation is not an individual, it is simply a business entity owned by individuals. The owners are responsible for the businesses activities. The implications are as you imagine.
I value education and plan to make it available to all Americans ... period.

I believe that the right to liberty, domestic tranquility and happiness includes shelter, health care and safety. I believe it is the law of the land guaranteed by our Constitution and I aim to enforce it

This may be simplistic, but these rights are guaranteed to all people. I don't qualify "all" and qualifying "all" will not be legal in your White House if you hire me to serve you.

This may sound like so much pie in the sky to you. But consider this: Every word of this can become reality if YOU say it is so. It isn't me and it isn't those who occupy those plush government offices all over the country. Every single one of them are people YOU chose.

I'm asking you to choose something and someone different. I'm reminding you, YOU can absolutely do just that.

I'm Flo. Let me be the one who takes YOUR message to Washington.

So, we begin.


The End



 

 






Inspired by a contest I saw. I'd rather crawl under a rock than enter. LOL.

But, here's my take nonetheless. :))


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.