Fantasy Fiction posted April 7, 2017 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Y.A. Fantasy --Tracking the wolf

A chapter in the book The Piper

The Piper, part 15

by w.j.debi


Previously
Piper is a young musician whose grandfather has passed away, leaving Piper an orphan to be raised by the music guild where he is an apprentice. After the funeral, Piper returns alone to play his flute at his grandfather's grave, and a Fae appears--a creature considered swift, strong and deadly--and compliments Piper's flute playing. Captain Burkehart comes to the rescue and escorts Piper back to the castle. During the next few weeks the Fae approaches Piper on several occasions and says he has some secrets he needs to share, but each time they are interrupted by a vigilant Captain Burkehart. Meanwhile, Piper continues his musical education under the direction of the popular performer Master Braun, including traveling with a performing troupe. A wolf attack leaves Piper and his friend Rupert separated from the musicians and in the hands of the Fae.



End of Previous Chapter
A faint sound in the distance caught her attention. Sheba rose to her feet and moved into the dim morning twilight just beyond the mouth of the cave. Voices in the distance were calling, "Piper! Rupert!" She hurried back into the cave.

Working as quickly as she could and using all four paws, Sheba threw dirt onto the fire to quell the flames. Smoke floated into the pre-dawn air. She sniffed the remains of the fire. Then as a precaution, she pushed more dirt onto the smoldering wood with one paw. When she was convinced the last ember was covered, she turned to look at the sleeping Piper. "Sorry, dear boy, but I have a promise to keep." Then she melted into the shadows outside the cave.



Chapter 15

"It's a large wolf," Captain Burkehart muttered to himself through clenched teeth. He bent down to examine the paw prints more closely. Was it a scout for a pack, or worse yet a lone outcast? Either way, it was headed toward the search party.

Rising to his feet, Burkehart drew his sword. A quick assessment of the surrounding area revealed little else. With a determined stride, he followed the wolf tracks, increasing his speed as he traveled until he moved at a slow jog. It had been a mistake to go back to camp instead of staying to protect the search party as he should. Why had he let Braun get under his skin? The master musician had finally agreed to move on as long as a small party looked for the apprentices one more time while everyone else broke camp. Burkehart scowled. At this point, no matter what had happened, the boys were lost to them. The sooner Braun accepted facts, the better.

Up ahead voices were shouting the names of Piper and Rupert. The noise would help him locate the group. It would also lead the wolf straight to the search party. Burkehart quickened his pace. He was probably too late to head the animal off, but maybe he could get close enough to startle it, or warn the others before it attacked.

Through the trees he saw a glimpse of gray fur. Maybe it was a trick of his eyes in the dark forest. He ducked behind a boulder and crouched down low to stay as hidden as possible in case the creature looked in his direction. It was definitely gray fur. The wolf's posture was puzzling though. Instead of slinking through the trees or crouching to attack, it was just standing there gazing at something. Or ... talking to someone? Then it turned and sprinted away so quickly and silently that for a moment he wasn't sure he'd seen it.

But he had seen it, and its unnatural behavior. In frustration, Burkehart punched the boulder with his fist. Why would a faerie creature be communicating with someone in the company? What was going on and why?

He ran to the spot the faerie wolf had occupied a few moments ago. Out of habit, he paused to confirm the wolf had moved on and was not presently a threat, then sheathed his sword. Just beyond the treeline, he saw several pairs of boot prints in the soft ground. He cursed under his breath. A solitary pair of boot prints would have been preferable.

Voices drifted toward him from a hundred feet away. Raising his eyes, he looked into the clearing where the search party had gathered. Some of the men were chatting, others appeared to be searching for clues. A quick count confirmed everyone was accounted for. Burkehart cursed again. Experience told him no one would admit to conversing with one of the Fair Folk, and the Fair Folk were crafty enough to make sure no one overheard or saw anything, even in plain sight.

Burkehart stepped out of the trees and into the small clearing. "Master Braun." When everyone looked his way, Burkehart nodded to the group in greeting. "We are all packed-up and ready to go. We only await your return to camp." Then he looked upward. "The skies are growing darker and the temperature is dropping by the hour. We need to hurry or we're going to get caught in a storm before we reach the next village."

Master Braun looked up at the sky, then over at Burkehart, a resigned look on his face. "You're right, of course. Thank you, Captain." Braun took time to look at each member of the group in turn. In a dejected tone, he said, "Thank you everyone for indulging me. I just hate ..."

"Giving up on the boys," one of musician completed. "We all do, Master Braun."

Everyone murmured their agreement. It was a blow to leave without finding the young apprentices. To lose such promise, such talent, was a catastrophe. It was a shame. It was a tragedy.

With one last look around, Braun heaved a deep sigh. "Come on men, we need to get on the road."

Captain Burkehart lagged behind the others to look back over his shoulder into the trees. He didn't want to raise false hopes, but for the first time he saw a chance for locating the lost boys. If only he could find a reason to leave the company so he could follow the faerie wolf's trail before it was destroyed by the coming storm. He gritted his teeth. Duty called. He had given Duke Welf his word to see the musicians safely to Hanover. More importantly, he promised to deliver a message to the Duke of Hanover and return with the response.

Bringing up the rear, Burkehart studied his companions as they walked ahead of him. Out of habit, his hand went to the hilt of his sword. Which one of you has faerie blood?


~~~~



Recognized


Free stock photo. Artist = StuartMiles

Cast of Characters

Piper = A musical apprentice, just turned age15.

Rupert = A musical apprentice. Piper's friend, age 14.

Grand Master Raymond Acker = Head of the music guild. Piper's grandfather. Recently deceased leaving Piper an orphan under the care of the music guild.

Captain Burkehart = Captain of the Guard at Castle Welf

Redd-Leif Summerstorm = A Fae

Master Braun = Troubadour recently promoted to the rank of Master in the music guild at Castle Welf

Sheba = an enchanted creature in wolf form

Fair Folk = Refers to non-human races sometimes considered magic such as elves, Fae, brownies, sprites, gnomes, dwarfs, etc. Also called elementals.

~~~
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. w.j.debi All rights reserved.
w.j.debi has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.