Mystery and Crime Fiction posted April 7, 2017 Chapters: 1 -1- 2... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Sarah has two choices; kill or be killed like her family.

A chapter in the book Twist of Fate

Fatal Beginning

by Mistydawn



I return home from the cemetery, feeling physically and mentally drained. I'd lost everything that meant anything to me the day the goon pulled the trigger.

"Oh Lord, please take me too," I sob, trudging across our lawn. I feel a harrowing pain lurking deep inside. Like a cold, empty darkness has seized my inner soul. This agonizing sensation seems to worsen the closer I get to our house.

"Why them, Lord? Why did you take my family? Why did you take them away?" I cry, slowly opening the door.

I can hear my family's laughter the moment I step inside. I then see my husband watching TV on the couch and my daughter kicking back in her chair.

"John, Katelyn?" I blubber, running towards them. They smile and then their images slowly fade away.

"I can't do this, I just can't," I scream. I start to step out of the door when a ghastly man shoves me back inside. My exhausted body stumbles across the floor, landing on the interior steps.

"Wha.. what do you want?" Feeling dazed and confused, I start scooting backward towards the second floor.

"Your husband, John didn't make good on Katelyn's debt, so it's up to you to pay, Sarah," he says, shoving the gun against my head. Looking up I see his filthy clothes only covers a small portion of his tatted body. I then see his dark greasy hair is fastened loosely at the nape of his neck. 

"Pay up now!" he yells. Cocking the gun, he pushes it deeper into my skull. At that moment, I realize that I have three options; I can pay them off for the rest of my life, not pay and end up like my family or I can fight like hell. Raising up my head, I look him square in the eyes.

"You killed my family," I scream. Lifting up my leg, I whack him as hard as I can in the balls. My stilettos slip through a rip in his pants, he doubles over in pain. Drawing back my leg, I kick him again.

He tumbles backward crashing against the entry stairs. The gun flies out of his hand as his body bounces across the floor. Scrambling to my feet I race for the weapon. He grabs my leg as I run by.

 I lose my balance trying to pull free, plummeting face first to the floor. I kick him with my other heel. His head flies back, thumping against the steps.

I try reaching for the gun, but find I'm still too far away. Scooting myself forward I try again. My fingertips barely graze the cold hard barrel. I start to move closer when I feel the goon's hand grab a hold of my pants.

Drawing up my leg, I kick him again. His head falls back as blood spurts out of his nose. Using both feet I kick him as hard as I can. His muscular body crumbles to the floor. Scooping up the gun, I turn back around.

"No one messes with my family," I scream, pulling the trigger. I feel something inside of me snap as I watch blood gush out of his lifeless body. Like a cold evil feeling lurking deep inside was finally ready to escape.

Staring at the brain matter spewed across the floor a thought came to mind. This is my purpose, the reason I'm still here.

***

Mia watches the crowd say their final farewells to her twin sister, Katelyn. She didn't feel strong enough to face their rejection so she decides to watch from afar. Gazing across the lawn, Mia starts thinking back to the last time she and Katelyn skyped.

~~~

"I'd be happy if they'd answer just one of my questions," Mia says into her computer.

"What's that, Sis?" Katelyn asks.

"Why did John and Sarah put me up for adoption?" 

"I''m sure they have their reasons."

Mia glances down at her frail body. "I know why. I guess Sarah and John didn't think I'm worth the effort." Mia tearfully sighs. Unlike her sister, Mia's feeble health requires a lot of care. More than what most parents were willing to give. If they could only see me now, she thinks. 

She has a 4.0 average at one of the most prestigious schools in the country and she was promised a job when she graduates in May.

"Don't talk like that, Mia."

"I can't help it."

"Yes, you can." Seeing tears running down her sister's cheek, Katelyn continues.

"Do you want to know what I see when I look at you, Mia?"

"What?"

"A brilliant young woman who's going to make something of herself, and as far as I'm concerned, your adoption was our loss, not yours."

"Then why won't you let me talk to them?"

"You will when the time is right."

~~~

I wish Katelyn would've let me confront mom and dad. Who am I kidding? I wouldn't have asked them, even if I did have the chance. No, I'd hide like a coward the way I'm doing today. She glances over at Sarah crying over the caskets. I wonder what it'd feel like to be wrapped in her loving arms she dreamily thinks, watching the crowd dwindle away. Mia pictures herself running into her mom's arms. She then imagines feeling the warmth, the love as Sarah draws her in closer. If only that were possible.

Seeing Sarah leave, Mia starts walking towards her. At the last second, she loses her courage and quickly steps away. You're a coward, Mia, a big fat coward, her inner voice tearfully scolds.

"Where's my money, Katelyn?" A deep voice asks. She feels his hot breath hiss against the nape of her neck as a sharp, pointy object digs into the center of her back.

Feeling her take a deep breath, the intruder quickly blurts out, "Make a scene and I'll slice you."

Lifting up her arm, she punches him in the nose. The weapon slides further into her skin as his head falls back. Pulling a gun out of her pocket, Mia spins around. She feels the sharp blade slash her back as she turns to face him.

"My sister is dead because of you," she screams, pulling the trigger.

"She's got a gun!" One of the attendants yells. Screaming, the crowd runs for their cars.

Hearing sirens wailing in the far distance, Mia turns around. She sees flashing red and blue lights barreling down the road. I have to get out of here, she thinks, darting the other way.

 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.