Biographical Poetry posted March 29, 2017 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a poem for a song writer and philanthropist

A chapter in the book My Book of Poems 2010-2017

Harry Chapin

by Mustang Patty

A poet
A song writer
 
A good friend
Weaver of tales
 
A Taxi
Last sequel told
 

You lived to end world hunger
_______________________


The great story teller
You strummed your guitar to life's trials
'A Better Place to Be' still brings tears to my eyes
Though I know I've played it at least a million times
 
Your work for ending World Hunger
The fundraiser concerts
You played everywhere
Gave your fans your unique sound
 
Your death turned my world upside down
We met only once
But the effect was profound
 
You let me know I had to write
You let me know my voice needed to be heard
You let me know of my value
So I took my flight like a bird
 
I still miss you, Harry
Your book of poetry sits prominently on my shelf
You made me a better woman
You made me love myself

 



Write a Bio Poem contest entry

Recognized


A singer/songwriter and activist for many charitable causes, especially in the realm of ending world hunger, Harry Chapin never let the often-lukewarm reviews of his music-making abilities phase him and because of his strong folksy persona, the fans he made stuck by him throughout his career and continue to this day. Born December 7, 1942, in New York's Greenwich Village the son of a big-band drummer, Harry's musical influence took hold at an early age. He took up trumpet playing originally but switched to strumming a guitar later and joined his younger brothers, Tom Chapin and Steve Chapin, in a homegrown musical act that was well received in the folk era of the 1960s. After a short stint in the Air Force Academy and studying architecture and later philosophy, at Cornell University, Harry tried his hand at film-making and found himself to be quite good at it, directing an academy award-nominated film about boxing heavyweights, Legendary Champions (1968). In the '70's, Harry joined Electra Records and produced several albums capitalizing on his story-telling abilities, resulting in his first major hit, "Taxi", which was one of the longest songs played on radio up until that time. He also found the time to produce several Broadway show and write songs for his brother Tom's children's TV series, '"Make a Wish' (1970)'". Other recordings followed, such as the hits "Cat's in the Cradle" and "W.O.L.D". As Harry decided to put his fame to work, establishing himself as an activist for charitable causes as well as supporting self-sufficiency, he convinced President Jimmy Carter to create a Hunger Commission exploring ways to eliminate world hunger. His own organization, "World Hunger Year", formed with Bill Ayres, strenuously fought the good fight with Harry and his band performing virtually every other concert solely for the causes he espoused. In 1981, while on the way to another benefit, Harry's life was tragically ended in an automobile accident on the Long Island expressway.
- IMDb Mini Biography By: keathgraham@yahoo.com

I attended one of Harry's concerts on March 16, 1981. It was just four months before he died in a car accident. As he played that night, I felt a deep connection with the words in his music. Most of his songs were written in rhyme, and I loved his phrasing. It could be that it was because I was sitting in the front row, but I felt like he was singing to me. This concert, like most, was a fundraiser, and I went out afterwards to buy his poetry book and a t-shirt.

Harry was greeting folks and signing the poetry books. When I gave him my book for a signature, he grabbed me for a quick kiss. When he saw my first husband scowling at him, he kissed me deeper and chuckled as our embrace ended.

Harry's songs had a major impact on me. Within two months after his death, I left my controlling and abusive husband. Following the words of a 'Better Place to Be,' I knew there was more to life than what I was dealing with. I never looked back.

The music of Harry Chapin has filled the rooms of my house for over thirty-six years. I listen to many artists, but there are only a few that I know every lyric by heart. I so look forward to that big concert that waits for me in Paradise.

The poetry I chose to honor Harry is comprised of a Whitney and an Ode.
The Whitney Poetic Form is also known as an American Asian Poem. This is a syllabic form, created by Betty Ann Whitney. It has exactly seven lines. Syllable pattern: 3, 4, 3, 4, 3, 4, 7 and no rhyme is required but acceptable if desired.
A Whitney is written as follows
The first line has three syllables
The second line has four syllables
The third line has three syllables
The fourth line has four syllables
The fifth line has three syllables
The sixth line has four syllables
The seventh line has seven syllables

Ode
An Ode is a poem praising and glorifying a person, place or thing.
NS: there are no prescribed meter, form or rhyme requirements.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.