General Script posted February 24, 2017 Chapters:  ...22 23 -24- 25... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Psychotic Break: Crazy Can Be Fun

A chapter in the book Scripts

Act Two-Criminally Insane

by michaelcahill


Fade in
 
New Characters
Nathan: Accused of biting the head off a pigeon. Bi-polar. Actually, seems to be much improved using meth amphetamines.
Charlie: Physically imposing black man. Convicted rapist and exhibitionist. A cutter, schizophrenic. Also, charming and intelligent.
Ricky: Convicted of numerous assaults. Has spent most of his life in prison. Has never made it through parole without getting rearrested, schizophrenic.
Darlene: Caregiver. Naïve, but somehow respected by the dangerous new residents as is Donny.
 
Established Characters:
Mary Queen of Socks: Aka Judy Sutton. Judy is bi-polar, schizophrenic or both, depending upon which shrink you ask. She's approaching three hundred pounds and doesn't care in the least. According to her, she's "happy and content" and reminds all of that fact often.
 
Mark Henry: Paranoid schizophrenic, all agree. His affection for LSD may have played a small part in his current condition. He is a superior intellect and the one person in the facility who can converse in an intelligent manner with the caretaker. He does, however, think everyone is out to get him.
 
Billy Boykins: Misdiagnosed with many ailments. Certainly, mentally challenged. Epileptic. His epilepsy causes many of his other conditions in the opinion of his caretaker. The doctors have diagnosed, Parkinson's syndrome and a host of other ailments.
 
Vernon David McMahon: Everyone calls him Dave or David. He refers to himself by his FULL name especially when declaring his RIGHTS which is often.
 
Kenny: A short round black man with an insane laugh and crazy eyes. He believes he imparts wisdom, but no one understands what he is talking about. Everyone goes along with him.
 
Rhonda Crunk: An older woman who never stops talking. She tells endless stories about people no one has ever heard of, especially about her childhood.
 
Donny: Also known as Dad or Don, never Mr. Larson even to professionals like Doctors or city and county officials who inspect the premises. He's the oldest person in the facility and the caregiver of all. For some reason, he is perceived as young. He is also perceived as extremely intimidating though he is friendly and outgoing and fun.
 
It's late afternoon and most of the clients are awake and scattered about the house engaged in various activities. Some are asleep. Charlie looks very serious as he approaches Darlene who is trying to get through to Nathan. Nathan can become almost catatonic at times and is currently standing motionless by the entrance to the kitchen. Several clients are playing cards at the kitchen table or watching cards being played.
 
Darlene
Nathan, why don't you have a seat and join the others? Are you okay? Answer me, I know you can hear me.
 
Nathan
I'm okay.
 
Nathan mutters softly without any facial expression or intonation in his voice. His response is more than anyone else ever gets out of him when he's in this state.
 
Darlene
I Know you're okay, but you don't want to just stand here all day, it worries people. It worries me. I don't want to see you back in the hospital. You know you're better off here with people who care for you. Just try and walk over and take a seat. You don't have to talk or play cards, just sit and watch. No one will bother you, okay?
 
Nathan doesn't speak, but he slowly walks into the kitchen and stands near the wall. Charlie gets Darlene's attention.
 
Charlie
I need to go to my P.O.s. I have to check in to the hospital.
 
Darlene
Why? What's wrong? You look okay.
 
Charlie
I'm thinking about cutting again. I need to go in before I start hurting myself.
 
Charlie shows Darlene his arms. They are scarred and there are shallow fresh cuts already on them bleeding lightly.
 
Darlene
Donny. Charlie needs to go to his P.O.s.
 
Donny is already heading towards the front door with the keys.
 
Donny
Okay, Charlie. I'm ready. Do you have everything you need? Got your phone?
 
Donny taps his front pocket and nods and follows Donny out the front door. Darlene is alone and in charge of the house now. Ricky approaches her.
 
Ricky
That damn kid. He's about to drive me on one. Can't you tell him to leave me alone. I don't need to go back in. I just want to be left alone, man. He's just pushing it.
 
Darlene
C'mon now, Ricky. He's just a kid, you know that. His mind is like a ten-year-old's. You can't let that get to you. Be a brother to him. I know you can handle that. He needs you to give him guidance. You're older and have some wisdom, he looks up to you. You understand, right?
 
Ricky gets a strange look on his face like a light has gone off in his head. His usually stern and tense expression brightens a bit.
 
Ricky
Billy, come here, boy. Let's talk a while.
 
Ricky smiles as Billy comes bounding up. Darlene smiles and heads into the kitchen. Nathan is sitting in a chair at the kitchen table watching the card game.
 
Darlene
Who's winning.
 
Rhonda
No one knows.
 
Everyone starts laughing. Nathan smiles slightly. Donny strolls in through the front door.
 
Donny
He'll be okay. I guess he knows himself. The P.O. called the paramedics and they had him on his way in no time. I've got the number to call to check on him later. His P.O. says this is the first time he ever came in before he hurt himself.
 
Donny smiles at Darlene. She smiles back and then turns her attention back to the game.
 
Fade out
 
The End


 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.