Biographical Non-Fiction posted January 27, 2017 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A short story about a card I received

A chapter in the book Lamentations of a Lost Laddy

The Christmas Card / Dear Reader

by Badger_29


Dear Reader,  

     I received  a nice card from a family member.  I was excited to open it and get a warm Christmas greeting.

   The greeting was there, along with a message that was not quite as fitting.

It said,

   "You are really writing well, but it is too bad that you wasted all of that time (those years) leading up to this", or " not righting"  (typo intended).

    This has the disquieting effect of making the reader AND the writer feel a bit sheepishly chagrined.

   Now, I believe that such a message is intended to strengthen my resolve in my recovery, but do not believe that a Christmas card is most appropriate
time and place for it.

     I, for one,  ascertain that I was not utilizing this precious commodity that we call "time" to the best of my ability, nor was I living up to my potential.

   However, being in recovery NOW, I truly embrace the fact that this was an obstacle; or challenge that I had to overcome to become the person that I am.  And having overcome, not only am I stronger, but it gives greater substance and veracity to MY message of strength and hope, which I deliver as the Secretary of the regular Wednesday night NA meeting in the recovery house in which I reside.  My meetings have become quite popular, because HE gifted me with not only the ability of eloquent oration, but gave me a true story and the passion ~ compassion to speak it with conviction, and humor.

   In that light, it is my firm understanding that, in the grand scheme of things, as long as you are learning, improving, and striving to make the world, the country, the state, your county, your city, and your immediate environment a better place, then no time has ever actually been "wasted".

   Romans chapter 8 verse 28 states,
   "And we know that ALL things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to His
purpose".  This specifically says ALL, not some.

 There is a useful  Latin phrase which states, 

"Carpe Diem",

Which means seize the day .

   The past is gone.  Although we DO need to learn from our mistakes, once we learn, we move on; we do not let the devil beat us up because of our past so that we end up wallowing in our pity.  

   The future is not yet here.  BUT that does not mean that we should not plan for it, as this is a very valuable component of being a productive and responsible person.  

   We should remember, in this manner, to be able to cut through all of the CRAP, and enjoy each and every moment for what it is: a miracle, and an opportunity to be THANKFUL, in spite, or because of, our circumstances. 

   I have taken it a step further to state,

   "Carpe Momentum", which translates to seize the moment. It is my firm belief that every second is an opportunity to choose between many variables, but mainly, between good and evil.

  It kind of reminds me of the philosophical question about the glass half full/empty.  I am happy that I have been blessed not only with a glass, but with one that has fluctuated proportionally to my karma, but now and forevermore
truly runneth over.
 
   It is my sincere prayer that the READER is receptive to these words that have been so carefully chosen, and after reading, walks away a little more enlightened, and a LOT more loved and blessed.  

Sincerely,  Writer

Now, don't you  feel better?

 




Thanks to Google for the image. This is dedicated to everyone who is tempted to put anything OTHER than a cordial and timely sentiment in a card for which the occasion is best suited!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Badger_29 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Badger_29 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.