General Fiction posted January 9, 2017 Chapters:  ...10 11 -11- 12... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A bright hope

A chapter in the book The True Test

Eureka!

by jusylee72

Jeremy Jones was the physics teacher the students refer to as "Jumping Jones". He had such a passion for life and teaching. Sometimes, when his students seem to catch on to a particularly hard challenge he would begin jumping up and down with excitement. "Eureka." he would shout. Then he would inform them that they must jump in with him and enjoy this wondrous moment.

"The world isn't full of idiots today. We did it. Eureka. I found it. I found It. Eureka!"

He was yelling it now. "Eureka." He was running toward our fire.

"I did it." He was out of breath but didn't stop talking."It took me a while to find the right car but I found it. That little Volkswagen. I was able to hotwire it. The radio is working. Come with me, it isn't far. I have it on the news channel. We aren't crazy. It was an earthquake with gas explosions. There may be a way to let them know something. Who wants to come listen hear the news?"

I made my way with the crowd. It was on talk radio. "Friday Science". They were talking about the earthquake in Texas. We heard words like -"worst one ever." - "San Antonio will never be the same." - "Covered an area close to 900 miles." - "San Antonio was the center."

They were interviewing the mayor.  

"We've been warning the world about global warming for years. Now we have proof. The oil fields and their endless "Fracking" has left Texas vulnerable to trouble. Rescue crews have only been able to approach the outskirts of the San Antonio area. The Red Cross will be sending helicopter supplies in soon. However, it is highly unlikely that many people survived. The devastation is too extensive. Aftershocks are still rocking the earth." 

Another reporter jumped in.  "What advice do you have for anyone who might have survived."  

"Find shelter.  Find a way to make sure we can see you from the air.  I am not going to kid you. It may be weeks before we can get through to you. You will have to be resourceful. We will be trying to find you.  I promise you that. For now, you must rely on yourselves.  "

Jones was the first to say it.

"We need to build a structure or sign that lets them know we are alive.  We need to find a way to get on the roof. They won't be able to see us down here in this dust and destruction. We have to quit waiting and start doing. They're talking like it will be a long time before anyone even attempts to get here. We have to do it ourselves."

Now the real planning had to start. So far, except for the one small excursion, we had stayed in our newly cloistered world. Our camping experts explained to us that in a disaster shelter is a priority, then water, then food. We had shelter, now we had to start maintaining supplies and building up our reserves.

The weather had stopped us from doing anything much for the first two days. Today was the third and we had made some progress. I wanted to stay and listen to the radio for hours. At least we knew there was still an outside world. We knew we would have to turn off the radio soon to save the battery but first, we wanted to try our cell phones.

Katie begged to be first. She had a charger in her purse.

Her hands were shaking as she connected the cable to her phone. Her screen lit up. She pulled up her husband's work number. No connection. Next, her husband's cell - there was no answer. Her mother in law lived close by. She tried again. The day care number was highlighted in her phone. No answering machine came on. Finally, she tried 911. A busy signal was all that lit up her phone. She put her phone down slowly in a defeated gesture.

A small message symbol lit up her phone. The text was faint but she could read. "Are you there, Katie? Is that you? We are fine. I have the children. We can't get out of this area, but we are okay now. Katie, if it is you please text me. I didn't have the phone with me. We were outside. Our house is damaged but standing. My mother and I are here. Mother picked the kids up early for a surprise birthday party for you. Did you forget it was your birthday? We have a cake. The kids have been drawing you pictures. My phone fell when the quake started. Only texting is working. Text me, Please, Katie. I love you."

Tears of pure joy and laughter enveloped her. She couldn't speak yet. Her hands were trying to type but were still shaking too violently. At first, all she could write is, "I am alive." Everyone around her started yelling, "Eureka!" Laughter, hard laughter shook us all and we danced the Eureka dance with childish abandon. Jumping Jones became my partner. We didn't care what we looked liked or how loudly we sang. "Eureka!'  

The Chili Cheese dogs were the best meal I have ever had.  





 




The True Test, Chapter one Teachers are asked to stay late for mandatory Standardized Testing in the auditorium. Towards the end of the training, something causes a massive explosion. Some die instantly, Some suffer. They find shelter in the band hall.

Chapter 2 - The survivors decide to go back to see if they have any more survivors in the Auditorium. They find two alive, but injured. The after shock kills them both. However they hear a pounding and discover a room with people including their principal who is gravely injured.

Chapter 3 - We need food. Chapter 4 5, 6 7 and 8 keep looking for ways to survive and possibly contact the rest of the world.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jusylee72 All rights reserved.
jusylee72 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.