General Fiction posted October 29, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
What goes around...

The Rat

by Heather Knight

It was nine o'clock and the street outside was in almost total darkness.

Inside the bar, red and green lights created an eerie unreal atmosphere.

A young woman was sitting at the counter drinking what looked like a martini. She was tall and thin and had beautiful curly hair.

The waiter was washing up and looked at her from time to time. It was obvious he was smitten.

Apart from the two of them, the bar was deserted.

The wooden door opened and another woman walked in. She was short and somewhat plump. Her features were sweet, so much so that anybody watching her expected wings to sprout out of her back. She approached the counter and sat next to the other woman.

'Can I have what she's having?' she said, addressing the room in general. Then she looked at her companion and asked, 'Are you Iris?'

'Yes. I assume you're Nancy.'

'Yeah.'

'You have red hair,' Nancy said. The words sounded like an insult.

'So?'

'He's never liked red hair.'

'Oh!' Iris said, sounding miffed.

She studied the woman sitting in front of her. She knew she was twenty years older than her, but they looked as if they were both in their thirties.

'So what are we going to do?' Nancy asked her companion, startling her out of her reverie.

'Teach him a lesson, that's for sure, but how?'

'I'm not sure, I'm not very good at this kind of thing.'

'Me neither. First of all, I want you to know something. I never knew he was married till I found his real Facebook page by accident.'

Nancy took a sip of her martini and grimaced. Then she took another sip and licked her lips.

'I could get used to this. Why don't we take our drinks to a table and discuss our options?'

'Great idea.'

Nancy told Iris she had been married to Steve for twenty years.

'The rat! He told me he was divorced.'

Silence descended on them. Both Iris and Nancy were thinking of their lost love.

'Shall we order something to eat?'

'Yes, why not?'

While they waited for their hot dogs, the women shared stories and realized they liked each other very much. In different circumstances they could have been friends.

'I think you should call him and tell him to meet you here,' Nancy said. Some mustard fell on her hand and she licked it as if it was the most natural thing in the world. Iris watched her, amused.

'Yes. I was thinking the same. Then, when he arrives, he'll see both of us together and will have some explaining to do.'

They ordered a second martini for each and waited. Iris realized she was nervous. Till the previous morning, she had believed Steve was the love of her life. Then she had found the pictures of his family and had contacted his wife.

'Are you going to divorce him?'

'Oh, yes!' Nancy said. 'Why? Do you want to marry him yourself?'

'No!'

Iris looked horrified.

'I was kidding.'

Both women started laughing hysterically. The truth was they were having a great time. The waiter watched them wondering what it was all about.

Twenty minutes later, the door opened again. Steve walked in followed by a gust of cold wind. His blue scarf suited the colour of his eyes. He was an extremely handsome man and had always been very popular with the ladies. His worst flaw was he knew how attractive he was.

He looked around and smiled when he saw Iris. As he neared the table, however, the smile froze on his face.

'Nancy?'

'Yes, dear. It's me. Iris and I have been swapping stories.'

'I can explain,' Steve said.

'Explain what? I'm leaving you. And the kids will be coming with me.'

Steve sat down. His legs were trembling.

'I'm leaving you too,' Iris said.

The two women got up and walked out of the bar arm in arm.

'Bye, Steve! Have a nice one.'

They never turned around, so they didn't see him put his head on his arms. He was crying.






 



Two women sit at a deserted bar writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story using the premise two woman sit at an otherwise deserted bar. They share a secret. They strike up a friendship.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.