General Non-Fiction posted October 22, 2016

Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Raised my daughter and kept her alive and it paid off

Hard Work pays Off

by Abby Wilson-hand

When my daughter was eight years old, she had been stricken with Leukemia, I also was seven months pregnant with my son. I didn't know if I was losing my first born while I brought a new life into the world. The world that I knew felt non existent. My position as a mother is a job all in itself, I didn't think I was doing a very good job at this time in my life. Then you add a very sick little girl that needed my undivided attention, care giver turned into a full time job. So much on my plate trying to keep myself together seemed like a prisoner in my own mind. I didn't mind all the late nights. I felt like if she was going to die in her sleep and if she did it would have be on my chest close to my heart. Holding her head while she was sick from the chemotherapy, rocking her from her pain and mine. Her spine had lost all the cartilage between her vertebrates, She had tubes called "Broviac tubes" coming from her chest. You could get blood from them for blood counts, put in pain medication into the tubes and I had to change her sterile dressings, every single day. We drove and hour and a half up to the hospital, sat for three hours while her chemotherapy would run through her Broviac tubes. Then another hour and a half for the drive back home. Saturdays and Sundays were her only days off from chemotherapy and cranial radiation.

But work days for me were long and drug out, my own health was compromised and I didn't care. My concern was keeping my daughter alive and tying to keep the family together. That included six kids from the years of eight and under, a husband. It felt like I had to heal the sick, feed everybody, clean up after everybody, Laundry was atrocious and I made sure nobody was allowed in my house if they were sick, even if they had a simple cough. I had kept a chart of medications everything was in order. She had to take thirteen pills four times a day every day, flushing her tubes with Saline and Heparin, change the dressing three times a day. It was one heck of a job all in it's own, what a job. I didn't get money for this job, I would not have given it up for the world. The doctors said out of all the children with the Broviac tubes, she was the only one that had never gotten an infection in it. The job was hard, it put a toll on my mental health, it gave me anxiety, depression, and OCD cleaning, voices in my head they diagnosed me with PTSD . If my house wasn't clean it would have compromised her health. Her blood counts were low and they would call her Neutropenic, very sensitive to infection. At her ripe age of eleven she had a cat scratch on her leg, turned out it almost killed her. She had actually not been talking any more. Her body was shutting down. She was swollen three times the amount of her own body, her cheeks were so big they sat on her chest. She was dying and there was nothing I could do to help her.I felt like I was dying inside as well. She had lost her heart beat she was not breathing anymore, all her monitors went off and she had dyed. It took a lot of courage to finish the job I had started. So I fell to my knees and begged God not to take her from me and she took a breath in, she been gone for seven minutes. The longest of my life. The next few years started to get easier but I had her back, all in God's will and hers to survive.

Finley after twelve years of hospitals, poking her and just her strong will to survive, doctors, bone marrow tests, driving and so much anguish and heart ache, she beat cancer. I was proud of the hard work that her and I had put into the amazing out come.

At nineteen and a half she was cured of cancer. Then her job begun, to finish school, she did, it was hard but a high school diploma meant so much to her, I was so proud of her. After a while She had met a man, fell in love, another miracle came to us that was never supposed to happen, because of all the chemotherapy, she was pregnant. I became a grandma and watching her work so hard to be a good mom, seemed like a reflection of my own self, it is so beautiful to see. It was hard to be the house keeper, the nurse, the ones who rocked and held her when she was sick at night. The driver and the "MOM" the one to sacrifice everything just to keep her alive. Today her and I are best friends we see each other all the time she is twenty eight years old and now has three miracle boys of her own. That's was a hard job does to a person. Sometimes I wanted to fire myself because of all the fear I had in my heart. But I kept this job. No I didn't get money for this hard work but I sure did get to see my children grow to be amazing adults. That's the most satisfying job I have ever endured.

I wouldn't have given this job up for anything, a bit of hard work pays off in the end and I can really say hard work never killed anybody. It was the hardest job I have ever done. Sometimes I had wished for a normal job, but the out come might not have been the same. Out of this job I sure did get a lot of gratitude, love, respect, compassion and a life worth more than any amount of money.

work challenges contest entry

I loved being the mom and now the grandma
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.

© Copyright 2018. Abby Wilson-hand All rights reserved.
Abby Wilson-hand has granted, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.