General Fiction posted October 9, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Life Destroyed.

Behind The Bushes

by Heather Knight


'Just pick up the pieces and get on with your life,' my parents told me.

It was easier said than done. I was broken, he had broken me.

You have to realize I was only fifteen at the time, so every time he threatened me, I got a bit more scared and retreated into myself.

I became a recluse. At the weekend I wouldn't leave my bedroom. I'd just stay there and read while I gorged on pizza.

'Mum, you have to believe me. He makes my life miserable. You should go to talk to the teachers.'

'I think you're exaggerating, Lisa. You just have to ignore him. You're a strong girl.'

But I wasn't feeling that strong anymore.

One Monday, I refused to go to school.

'He's told me he's going to rape me, Mum. I'm frightened.'

'That's just stupid talk, Lisa. He doesn't mean it. If you don't go to school, I'll call Dad and you know he won't be happy.'

In the end, I got dressed and left. I didn't have the energy to fight. I'd given up.

That day, after our last lesson, I walked back home as I always did. I suddenly heard steps behind me and turned around. Brian and two of his buddies were following me. I started running, but they were faster than me.

'Where do you think you're going, Lisa?' Brian said when he finally caught up with me. 'You forgot to kiss me goodbye.'

'I'd rather die, you pig,' I shouted.

That's when he grabbed my hands with one of his and put them behind my back. With his other hand, he held my head and planted a slobbery kiss on my lips. I felt the urge to vomit.

After that, he dragged me towards some bushes. There, behind the bushes, the three boys took turns at me.

When they left, I was barely conscious. I remember thinking that now my parents would have to pick up the pieces themselves and stick them together somehow because I needed fixing and I didn't have the energy to do it myself. The pieces of my self-esteem, the pieces of my youth... All those were scattered on the park floor.



What Happened? writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story that starts with: "Just pick up the pieces..."
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by pfemd at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.