General Fiction posted September 22, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
He wasn't feeling well...

Mr Werewolf

by Heather Knight


It was three in the morning and bitterly cold, but at least it was not totally dark. There was a full moon in the sky that illuminated the whole forest with an eerie light.

A family of foxes had just left their den to go out hunting. The father had decided his children were old enough to learn to find their own food.

'Just stay near me and do whatever I tell you. And no joking around. This is dangerous,' he said.

His little ones shivered in fear. Or maybe it was cold. Or maybe both.

On a tree branch, a brown owl hooted. He was in love and wanted the whole world to know. He was so infatuated, he had forgotten to eat. The mice who lived in the tree trunk were celebrating that fact, they had at least one more day to live.

A skunk and a hedgehog were having a fight.

'If you don't leave me alone, I'll prick you,' the hedgehog threatened.

The skunk didn't bother to answer. He just sprayed the hedgehog and laughed.

And in the meantime, the background noise was deafening. The crickets were singing their usual song. So repetitive, so mechanical.

There were tiny little blue lights everywhere. It was the fireflies fluttering around doing... I don't know what.

People think nights in a forest are peaceful, but they are mistaken. Lots of things go on, maybe more than during the day.

All of a sudden, a dark figure appeared. It was a young man carrying a case. He was wearing a black coat and a top hat.

He crossed the forest and stopped at the foot of a nearby hill to look at the castle on top. He didn't like what he saw.

The castle was old and dilapidated, it looked as if it was about to crumble. There were no lights on the windows and no lights on the path that led to it.

The man sighed and started ascending towards the ancient building. His heart was telling him to run away, it was obvious from the way he hunched. But he pressed on.

Once at the door, he looked for a bell to ring and realized there wasn't one. There was, however, a gigantic iron knocker shaped like a devil of some sort. He used that to knock and could hear it clunking in the depths of the castle.

After a while, a yellow-faced butler who had obviously not seen the light of day in a long time, opened the door.

'I'm here to see Mr Werewolf,' the young man said.

'Are you the doctor?' the butler asked him.

'Yes. I'm Dr Lane.'

'Come in please.'

The inside of the castle was worse than the outside. It was freezing cold and there were cobwebs everywhere.

'Follow me,' the butler said.

Dr Lane did as he was told. They climbed a flight of stone steps and got to a wooden door.

The butler knocked and waited for an answer.

'Is that you, Norris?' a raspy voice asked.

'Yes, sir. The doctor is here.'

'Tell him to come in.'

Dr Lane walked into the room and Norris disappeared into the dark.

In the middle of the vast chamber, there was a four-poster bed and in it lay a middle-aged man.

'So, what's ailing you?' the doctor asked him.

'I have a cold.'

'And you made me get up in the middle of the night just because of a cold?' Dr Lane shouted, feeling his anger mount.

'It's not a normal cold.'

'What do you mean?'

'It's interfering with my abilities.'

'What abilities?'

'You know I'm a werewolf, don't you?'

At that, Dr Lane started laughing. It was a mirthless laugh that echoed through the forest. All the animals stopped what they were doing, they were so spooked...

The patient waited for Dr Lane to stop laughing and then continued talking.

'So you don't believe me? There's a full moon today and I should have transformed. But the transformation stopped midway.'

'You're trying to make fun of me, aren't you? It's time I went home, I think.'

'Look at this first, will you?'

The patient removed the blanket that had been covering him and exposed two very hairy legs that ended in huge paws.

The doctor looked at him and ran out of the room. He was never seen in that part of the country again. Ever.


 



The Werewolf writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
There is a castle that's crumbling with age. In it lives man, all alone. The man is a werewolf. Someone comes. What happens?
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by dodgement at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.