General Fiction posted August 31, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a good deed gone wrong.

camel's back

by judester


My friend Bill and I were living in a basement apartment in Montreal. It was a seedy area and there were always shady people hanging around, looking to get out of the cold.

We had just come back from seeing a movie and there was this guy hanging around our door.
My friend is not one to coddle, but I always like to help when I can.

The guy mumbled a greeting. then asked for something to eat. Against Bill's better judgement, I heated up some carrot curry soup that we had made that afternoon, and with some bread, brought it out to the guy.

Bill was watching tv and not too happy about this.

Ten minutes later, here was a soft knock on the door, the guy returning the bowl. He then asked for a glass of water. My friend was fuming, as I poured the water for this unwanted guest.

Ten minutes later, another soft tap and now I was getting annoyed for this constant disruption.

The guy now had the empty glass, and leaning against the door jamb, with his scarf looking like an ascot and him looking like the most confident guy in the world, now asked me for a cigarette.
Before I could answer, I saw a flash of red and Bill came barreling to the door,

"GET THE HELL OUTTA HERE! He yelled at the guy and slammed the door.

The next morning I found the water glass by the door, with a scrawled thank you note, rolled up inside.

I have three words for that bold beggar. Straw and camel's back.



A Good Turn Gone Wrong writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Please write a very short story based on trying to help someone, but it's not appreciated. Fun or serious. No poetry.

MAX words - 300


Thanks to supergold for the perfect camel.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by supergold at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. judester All rights reserved.
judester has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.