General Fiction posted August 3, 2016 Chapters:  ...15 16 -17- 18... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
an 870 word story for a contest entry

A chapter in the book Short

Reminder

by Bill Schott


Steve watched as his dad climbed onto the fire engine to respond to what must have been a large fire in the city. Several stations had been called, he'd heard over the CB, and other cities had been alerted. All of the firefighters scurried about, grabbing and checking their gear. The department siren was slightly muted in-doors, but blared incessantly through the neighborhood.

There was something Steve hadn't noticed before; a red band tied around his father's leg. Not a part of any other firefighters' outfits, he felt that it must have some kind of significance.

"Pop!" he shouted. "What's with the red thing on your leg?"

His dad looked at the bandana and grinned. He checked it once and tugged on the knot that secured it.

"Reminds me of what I do this for!" he yelled back. "So I won't forget."

The fire engine screamed off down the street towards the glow in the horizon. Steve's dad piloted the ladder on the rear. Seated at the very back of the engine's length, he steered the ladder rig around the many corners of the city blocks. Steve watched as the rig disappeared down the populated streets into the dense and dark city night.

He wouldn't see his father again. Somehow, during the chaos of battling the inferno, he'd been caught in a collapsing building and was claimed by the intense fire. No one could save him; he perished instantly. There were memorial services and heartfelt honors bestowed to the family on behalf of the grateful and saddened community.

Fifteen years later, Steve's son, Stephen, was cheering as his dad boarded the gang plank onto the U.S.S. Harry S. Truman. It was a super-carrier and was headed out for a six-month expedition. The ship was a floating city with over six thousand aboard. Steve was wearing his flight deck crew colors and cap like the other members of his team. They were boarding together so as to facilitate quick regrouping aboard the vessel and accelerating the departure time. Stephen noticed something different though. His father had a red band tied around his left leg, just above the knee. No one else seemed to have this extra adornment. He asked his mom what it was.

"Your dad has always worn that band around his leg whenever he's deployed," she said. "He remembers his dad saying once that it helped him remember why he put himself in harm's way."

Steve didn't return from sea duty. Battling a jet fuel fire on the flight deck, he was caught in an explosion that engulfed a dozen seamen. They were immediately killed and couldn't be approached for hours afterward. It was clear that their actions prior to the explosion had prevented further destruction and loss of life. Stephen's mom received notice of her husband's heroic act and of his loss. There was a closed-casket service a few weeks later as the family said good-bye.

Fifteen years later, Stephen prepared to leave the asteroid lander and step out onto the surface of the huge, speeding rock. It had taken a long time and a lot of sacrifice to get placed on this mission. Being the first man to land on an asteroid was not only history-making; it was a possible one-way trip.

He recalled his daughter's conversation with him before the launch. They were going over a book-sized list of procedures that were only pre-flight requirements. The list of dos and don'ts for the actual flight could pass for the Encyclopedia Britannica.

"I understand the function of almost every item you have on your space suit," she stated. "Each one has life-saving significance and is placed on your body in exact positions to allow you the greatest access to them while in space. "

"Yes, ma'am. I have everything a self-respecting astronaut with any fashion sense would need when leaving the world," he said.

"What about that?" she asked, pointing to his left leg.

"This pocket?" he said, smiling. "Well I keep breath mints in there, and a compact in case I need to apply makeup."

"No, Silly. The red scarf, or whatever it is."

"I know what you mean, sweety."

"What's its function."

"This red piece of cloth reminds me that I am the luckiest, most blessed man on the planet."

"Because you're an astronaut?"

"No, honey. That's just the lucky part. The blessed part is having a terrific daughter, who is the jewel of my life."

They hugged and proceeded to the shuttle.

Now, here alone on the asteroid, he prepared to leave the lander. The equipment wasn't responding, so he had to manually open the hatch. Stepping out, he was greeted by a view of Earth that few are afforded first hand. His tether to the ship was only acting as an anchor. There were no communications or life support registering. It looked like the oxygen on his back was all that remained before the end.

He sat down on a mound and watched as the asteroid circled the big blue sphere. Reaching down, he tugged on the red band around his leg, thinking of his granddad, his pop, and his daughter.



Write About This contest entry

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Contests at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.