Horror and Thriller Fiction posted July 14, 2016


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Please read notes :))

Haibun, Being There

by Dawn Munro


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.
The author has placed a warning on this post for language.

Haibun
Being There


Darkness lurks. I tire of this life. False friends. Telephones that sit silent, why pay for them?

The walls talk, the doorway is empty.

Pawn shops and back alleys. Hatred is easy to buy. Homeless asleep on park benches. Others pick through garbage. Towers of steel and chrome watch suits walk past. Buddy, can you spare some change? Arrogant pricks prosper. Good people suffer terrible afflictions.

Children kidnapped, abused, killed.

Plagues, wars, tsunamis, terrorists.

spotless garments
ruined by worldly bloodstains
God's free will gift

I am afraid of heights. Fear drug overdose-induced sickness or hallucinations.
I hate guns. But this one shines like treasure. I turn it over. Smith and Wesson, my redeemers. I point the barrel up under my chin and pull the trigger.

light exists for saints
coffins are always dark
unless on fire



Recognized


Description of haibun:

A haibun is a combination of three things: title, haiku (one or more) and prose, in present tense, terse and fragmented. Being terse, it should still flow, and be easily understood.
It has a syntax that is dominated by images. It should feel as if the reader is observing the event as it is happening.
In most cases, it should be unaccompanied by pictures, allowing the images to be created wholly by the writing. (I like to use pictures, however, as do many Western authors--I just try to pick something that doesn't interfere with the reader's own imagination as he or she is picturing the events.)
Haiku/senryu in haibun must consist of no more than seventeen syllables. These syllables do not have to follow a 5-7-5 or 3-5-3 format. The haiku should act as a summary to what is being said and often ties into a human condition.
The haibun should not be less than 100 words, it should not use the same word more than once, and avoids words ending with 'ing'. Words in the title should not be repeated within the body of the haibun either.
Some say it is poetry, some call it prose; in fact, it is both.

I love this form! I hope you enjoyed this haibun, and thank you for reading!

Music courtesy of YouTube.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Dawn Munro All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Dawn Munro has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.