Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted July 10, 2016


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Prose Potlatch 10th July 2016

A Perfect Day for Bananafish

by Bananafish308


I thought it fitting to review a classic literary work on a writing site. My decision to review one of my all-time favorite short stories also serves the dual purpose of providing some insight into the meaning of my Fanstory pen name.

I was first introduced to J.D. Salinger's "A Perfect Day for Bananafish" in a contemporary literature course I took in college. It is the opening to Salinger's short story anthology titled, "Nine Stories." Upon opening the first page of the book, I was intrigued by the epigraph to the book, which quoted a Zen Koan:

"We know the sound of two hands clapping. But what is the sound of one hand clapping?"

In the ensuing thirty years or so, I have thought about this quote countless times, and its pertinence not just to "Bananafish", but to life, in general. While the story doesn't specifically address Eastern Philosophy, there is a certain spiritual theme. It centers on the protagonist, Seymour Glass, one of the great enigmatic characters in literature. He is a disillusioned World War II veteran struggling to readjust to civilian life.

The story depicts one day in the life of Seymour, in which the reader gains insight into his character, first through his interaction with his wife Muriel, and then through his interaction with a little girl named Sybil, before his intentions are revealed in the final scene. It abounds in symbolism and imagery, such as the protagonist's name, Seymour (see-more) Glass (fragile). To this day, scholars debate the specific meaning of the events that unfold in the story. Some even insist the story should be interpreted literally.

"Bananafish" is, among other things, an indictment of the materialism and superficiality in the world, as represented by the imaginary bananafish that only Seymour can see. In one of many memorable passages, Seymour describes bananafish to Sybil:

"...They swim into a hole where there's a lot of bananas. They're very ordinary-looking fish when they swim in. But once they get in, they behave like pigs. Why, I've known some bananafish to swim into a banana hole and eat as many as seventy-eight bananas. Naturally, after that they're so fat they can't get out of the hole again. Can't fit through the door."

Sybil asks him what happens to them, and Seymour responds:

"Oh, you mean after they eat so many bananas they can't get out of the banana hole? Well, I hate to tell you, Sybil. They die. They get banana fever. It's a terrible disease."

One of the strengths of "Bananafish" is the enduring relevance of this central theme. The theme was pertinent in the late 1940s when Salinger wrote the story. It was pertinent in the 1980s when I first read the story, and it is certainly still pertinent today.

Another strength is its depiction of the inner turmoil of one who chooses to see the world as it really is. This theme particularly resonates with me, as I believe one of the basic dynamics of the human condition is how each person chooses to interpret the world we live in. In that same literature class we also read "Slaughterhouse Five", by Kurt Vonnegut. Contrast Seymour's mindset with the philosophy of the main character in "Slaughterhouse", Billy Pilgrim, which is encapsulated by his epitaph: "Everything is beautiful and nothing hurts."

Is it more beneficial and painless for individuals to view the world as they would like it to be, insulating themselves inside a blissful sanctuary of denial? Or, is it better to view the world as it really is, in all its unadulterated horror? While ignorance might be bliss for some, I cannot imagine living a meaningful life without acknowledging all of the inherent unpleasantness of the human condition. While this approach may result in significant inner turmoil, as with Seymour Glass, it is also the only way in which one might initiate change.




Word count: 683

Prose potlatch:

This week's format is: Free-form Non-fiction 500 - 750 words.

The theme for this week's challenge is -

"The Review"
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by avmurray at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bananafish308 All rights reserved.
Bananafish308 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.