General Poetry posted June 30, 2016 Chapters:  ...408 409 -410- 411... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Mixed Meters

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Sing, Song Sparrow!

by Treischel




Sing to me, song sparrow!
Please, sing a song to me.
That twig is long and narrow
on barren bough of tree.

Sing, sing sing, as I walk on by, oh bird!
Sweet, sweet, sweet, is the tweet, tweet, tweet, I heard.

Such a tiny creature,
has such a mighty voice.
Today my music teacher,
sits on branch of choice.

Sing, sing sing, as I walk on by, oh bird!
Sweet, sweet, sweet, is the tweet, tweet, tweet, I heard.

Song sparrow, you bring joy,
to gild a sunny day
with the sounds that you employ,
and golden tone display.

Sing, sing sing, as I walk on by, oh bird!
Sweet, sweet, sweet, is the tweet, tweet, tweet, I heard.






Recognized


This little Song Sparrow was sitting on a nearby branch, as I was out walking along Lake Phalen with my wife, the other afternoon. He was singing away to us a private concert. No fear was shown, as we approached and listened for several minutes. Then, he took a little bow and turned around to face away from us, as if to say, "Thank you, I done." Of course, I had to write about him.

This poem is written in abab quatrains, with coupled repeating refrain. The syllable count for each quatrain/couplet set is: 6,6,7,6-10,10. The first two quatrains differ in meters in each. Line 1 is trochaic. Line 2 is iambic. Line 3 is feminine iambic. Line 4 reverts to iambic. The couplet is Spondaic. However, the third quatrain is all iambic trimeter.

This photograph was taken by the author himself on June 28, 2016.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.