Mystery and Crime Fiction posted June 3, 2016 Chapters:  ...32 33 -34- 35... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Beth and Cody discuss the incident

A chapter in the book Astatula (Final Edition)

Mama Bear - Part Two

by Brett Matthew West


"Guess I blew it up KABOOM! huh?" Cody asked.

"Yep. Afraid so, Kiddo," Beth replied telling him, "Sneaking out of the house after being told not to leave was definitely a no-no! But, you and I will talk about that later. Right now all I am concerned about is making sure you are okay, Champ."

"I'm okay, Beth," Cody reassured her, "he just knocked me down on purpose. Then sped away."

Sheriff Daniels started to inject something into the conversation Beth was having with Cody.

"Not a word out of you, Cowboy," Beth cut him off sharply.

Sheriff Daniels was wise enough to know when to keep his mouth shut where Beth was concerned. This was one of those rare occasions. He stood back and allowed her to control the scene. After all, she was handling the situation well.

"Tell me what happened, Cody. All of it and don't hold anything back," Beth spoke in a calm tone, "I want to know everything that happened from the time you left the house."

Cody collected his thoughts and began his story, "I walked down the sidewalk on our side of the street. I spotted something shiny in the road so I stepped off the sidewalk to see what it was. And, that's when BLAMMO! Taylor ran me over!"

The boy looked at Beth and continued, "It was deliberate, Beth. He saw me. He tried to kill me, Beth! Then after he ran me over he drove off like the raving lunatic he is...and it hurt too!"

Water started coming to Cody's eyes. If he was playing the sympathy card he was not getting very far with Beth.

Immediately she reprimanded him sternly saying, "Turn the faucet off, Cody. You're not completely innocent in this matter."

Beth paused a breath and warned him, "You may well want them later!"

Cody complied with Beth's request.

Asking Buzz Cochran for his phone Beth dialed the Emergency Dispatcher's number where she knew Veronica Hightower was working the evening shift. The dispatcher answered the call.

"Veronica, this is Beth Sorenson," she began, "I'm at 1317 Maid Marion Lane. I need you to send Cletus and his boys here. Cody's been hurt and I want him seen by medical personnel at Astatula General Hospital before he's up and running around on his knee again."

"Oh, dear me!" Veronica Hightower responded in deep concern questioning, "What happened?"

"Cody got hit by a car," Beth started to tell her.

"Oh my! Not good!" Veronica Hightower gasped. Grasping for details she asked, "Is he all right?"

"I believe he will live at least for the time being," Beth responded not about to provide too many pertinent details to one of the town's biggest gossips, "we'll be waiting for EMS transport."

Beth disconnected the call and turned to face Cody.

"First, we're going to get you checked out to make sure you're still in one piece," she told him, "after that you and I are going to figure the rest of this out together!" she warned him.

"Yes, ma'am," was all Cody softly said, "I'm sorry, Beth. I just wanted to go to Matt's party. That's all."

"I'm glad to hear you say you're sorry, Cody," Beth replied, "however, that does not change the seriousness of what you did. When Sheriff Daniels or I ask you to do something that is what we expect you to do. Am I coming in clear on your channel now?"

"Roger. Over and out," Cody simply replied.

Cody needed a hug. He got two.

Meanwhile, Fred Taylor exited Astatula on the lam. Although his plans to kidnap, torture and kill Cody went awry he needed time to formulate another plan for his next assault. There was no way they would not be carried out. Taylor did not slow down until he crossed the Oklahoma state line.

Sheriff Daniels vowed to himself he would not let bygones be bygones. Not in this case. And, that he would stop at nothing to get his hands on Fred Taylor, or around his scrawny pencil neck! Whichever came first. Taylor made the issues between them personal when he targeted Cody.

Sheriff Daniels placed an All-Points Bulletin on Taylor before the ambulance arrived at the Cochran residence. It was only a matter of time before this incident came to a head.





Beth continues talking to Cody about what happened on the way to Matt's party.

Sheriff Daniels vows revenge for Taylor injuring Cody.






This is Evan, by Lilibug6, selected to compliment my story.

So, thanks Lilibug6, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my little story.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Lilibug6 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.