Mystery and Crime Fiction posted June 1, 2016 Chapters:  ...29 30 -31- 32... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Sheriff Daniels Interrogates David Werner

A chapter in the book Astatula (Final Edition)

Affair

by Brett Matthew West




Background
Cody Schroder is a young boy headed down the wrong road. Can his guardian turn him, and his life, around in a small town where a deranged mass murderer is running loose?
"I'm not the Astatula Asssassin, Sheriff," David Werner told the lawman in the confines of the interrogation room.

"That's hard for me to believe Werner," Sheriff Daniels replied, "seeing how you were arrested rifling through the pocket of Julianne Shephard's blouse."

"I told you Sheriff. I was looking for a piece of paper," Werner responded as cool as a cucumber. The way he had been for the two hours Sheriff Daniels questioned him.

"Werner, I want to believe you. Really I do." Sheriff Daniels said, "But you have to give me something I can work with. All we have been doing is going around in circles like a spinning top."

Sheriff Daniels took a long swallow of cool water. He did not offer Werner any.

"Unlike this tumbler your story does not hold water," Sheriff Daniels reiterated one more time.

With a hard look he glared at the man sitting opposite him and said, "I just watched the Green Belt Slayer's execution in the same death chamber that awaits the Astatula Assassin. The only way I will be able to keep a needle out of your arm is if you start telling me the truth."

Werner considered what the Sheriff told him. Could he admit his guilt? He knew the fateful decision would ruin his long time marriage, tarnish his unblemished reputation, and most importantly there was Doris to consider. She would be devastated. He never cheated on her before Julianne Shephard came along.

The suspect wished the last six months never happened. There was no way he could go back and undo the wrong. Julianne Shephard entered his life in a moment of weakness with her wiles and charms. But he could not blame her for what the two of them did together. The question was could he undo the years of right he shared with Doris?

It was Doris who stood by his side ten years ago when a tornado swept through Potter County. The devastating twister blew their house apart. At that time Werner knew he did not have the strength to carry on. She saw him through rebuilding both their home and himself.

She did not deserve his infidelity. For what? A monthly tryst with a woman half her age because he was middle-aged crazy trying to prove he still could?

Sheriff Daniels wanted answers to the questions he asked Werner. To this point the farmer was reluctant to supply information. Finally Werner conceded.

"I'm a low-life, two-timing cheater, Sheriff," Werner admitted, "but I'm no murderer. I don't have killing in me. Just the thought of that tears me apart."

Then he said, "You have to believe me, Sheriff. I'm not your man."

Sheriff Daniels slowly shook his head in disbelief of Werner's confession. The years he had known the cornshucker were many.

Taking another sip of water he replied, "Give me your story straight Werner."

"I went to the Health Spa to tell Julianne I was ending our affair. She was dead when I got there," Werner began, "I was searching for the picture of me I knew she carried with her. She saw more in our relationship than I ever did."

He paused for a moment to reflect, "I couldn't let Doris know about that photograph. She's going to be devastated when she finds out what I've done."

"You've got to believe me Sheriff," Werner repeated himself detailing his crime of passion.

"You are right about one thing Werner," Sheriff Daniels responded, "Doris's world is going to shatter. She's a lot better woman than you deserve."

Werner looked back at the Sheriff. He could not disagree with the lawman's assessment. How was he going to tell his wife about stepping out of her?

With no evidence connecting Werner to the murders committed by the Astatula Assassin, although he wished he did, Sheriff Daniels heatedly told the farmer, "Go back to what you have left of a home Werner. Before I find a reason to change my mind."

"I almost wish you could Sheriff," Werner remarked knowing he did not have much of a future ahead of him. "At least that way I would still be somebody."

The interrogation room opened. Deputy Taylor entered the room. He exchanged heated glances with Werner. Both of them held reasons.

As Werner departed the room Sheriff Daniels demanded, "What do you want Fred?"

"That piss-ass little punk Schroder kid," Deputy Taylor disrespectfully responded, "got himself detained by Jonathan Lacroix at his jewelry store for shoplifting. Just thought you might want to know Brock."

Deputy Taylor paused a moment to allow a smirk of pleasure to crease his face.

Feeling generous he told Sheriff Daniels, "Seeing how you're wrapped up in so many other important matters at the moment I'll be glad to make the collar."

"Cody is my responsibility and from now on I will thank you to stay out of our affairs!" Sheriff Daniels strongly replied stating, "Whatever this is about I will take care of it."

He looked at Deputy Taylor and continued with, "As for you, you'd better get a real good lawyer. Effective immediately you are suspended pending investigation."

Sheriff Daniels held out his hand instructing Taylor, "I'll take your badge and your weapon."

Reluctantly, and in anger, Taylor turned their possession over to the Sheriff. Then in a vicious tone he vowed, "This ain't over Daniels! Not by a long shot!"

"It is for you Taylor," Sheriff Daniels fired back, "As of now you are relieved of all law enforcement obligations. I see a cell in your near future!"





Sheriff Daniels interrogates the suspected Astatula Assassin.

He also relieves Deputy Taylor of his law enforcement obligations.






This is Evan, by Lilibug6, selected to compliment my story.

So, thanks Lilibug6, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my little story.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Lilibug6 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.