General Fiction posted May 29, 2016 Chapters:  ...28 29 -30- 31... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Judge Stancil's decision

A chapter in the book Astatula (Final Edition)

Verdict

by Brett Matthew West




Background
Cody Schroder is a young boy headed down the wrong road. Can his guardian turn him, and his life, around in a small town where a deranged mass murderer is running loose?
Once Cody was calmed down again Judge Stancil confided in him by saying, "You have requited yourself very well to this point Cody."

Reconsidering his tender years may not allow Cody to grasp what he had said Judge Stancil explained his comment to the boy.

"What I am telling you is that you have presented yourself very affirmatively in this hearing today," he complimented Cody.

"Thank you, sir," Cody replied then asked him, "What are you going to do with me?"

"You have told me everything I needed to hear Cody," Judge Stancil replied.

He looked the youngster in the eye. Their diamond blueness was dim.

Judge Stancil knew how to make them shine again.

He told Cody, "I expect you to keep your promise about properly behaving yourself. Because if you break your promise something is certainly going to happen."

Cody was all ears. Whatever Judge Stancil told him he would do. Especially if it meant he could stay in Astatula with Sheriff Daniels. Cody did not care what it was.

"What's going to happen, sir?" he asked Judge Stancil not expecting the answer he got.

"Mark my words young man," Judge Stancil strongly warned him, "I will send you back to Palo Pinto as fast as I can get you there. So help me Cody, I will!"

Cody did not like the sound of Judge Stancil's threat. He considered what the Judge told him for a moment. Then BOOM! a halogen lightbulb flashed inside his head.

Excitedly he exclaimed, "You mean I can stay with Sheriff Daniels?"

"I knew that would put the sparkle back in your blue eyes again," Judge Stancil smiled at Cody. Then added, "Yes you can stay in Astatula with Sheriff Daniels."

Cody could not be more ecstatic. A broad smile crossed his face.

Putting the boy down on the floor Judge Stancil told him "Cody, I want you to do something for me."

This was Cody's first opportunity to show the Judge how grateful he was for not sending him back to Palo Pinto.

Looking back at the Judge he asked "What's that, sir?"

"I want you to go out in my waiting room until I finish speaking with Sheriff Daniels," Judge Stancil answered him, "will you do that for me Cody?"

"It will be my happiness, sir," Cody replied and walked across the room.

Suddenly he stopped in his tracks and turned around. He could not help himself. Nor did he care if he got the brand new suit Beth bought him to wear to meet the Judge that morning all wrinkled up.

Cody bolted as fast as he could run right into the outstretched arms of the Judge. He hugged Judge Stancil tighter than he could remember hugging anyone else before. Cody did not know if he could keep the river of happy tears welling up inside him from bursting forth or if he would even try.

Turning to face Sheriff Daniels, Cody felt the long arm of justice firmly swat his posterior hard enough to grab his attention.

"I am not through speaking to you yet young man!" Judge Stancil sternly scolded Cody.

He turned back to face Judge Stancil.

He told Cody, "I meant what I said. You have special people in this town who care about you. You better show them you know how much they do!"

"I will, sir," Cody replied knowing that would be an easy task to accomplish, "I'll do anything I have to not to be sent back to Palo Pinto."

"Okay, Cody. Go out and wait for Sheriff Daniels now. He'll be there soon to get you," Judge Stancil instructed him.

"Yes, sir," Cody responded and left the Judge's chambers.

As he departed Judge Stancil called behind him, "Good boy!"

Then he addressed Sheriff Daniels telling him, "That's a mighty fine specimen you have there, Brock. Keep him on the straight and narrow."

Judge Stancil paused a moment before saying, "A morning in jail for vandalism? That was brilliant!. If only more parents cared about their children like that I would not see any cases of juvenile delinquency in my courtroom."

"Thank you, Your Honor for allowing Cody to remain with me," Sheriff Daniels replied.

"You keep a tight leash on that boy Brock," Judge Stancil told the Sheriff.

"That I assure you I will do Your Honor," Sheriff Daniels remarked, "Cody isn't going anywhere. He is very special to me."

"Everybody in Astatula knows how important Cody is to you, Brock. He is indeed one fortunate boy. He's wanted," Judge Stancil responded.

With great anticipation he further said, "I can not wait to sign those adoption papers. That one is going to warm my heart."

"Mine too," Sheriff Daniels admitted. He wondered why they had been delayed in their preparation?

"Now as far as this worthless piece of garbage is concerned," Judge Stancil began.

He picked up the paperwork the Process Server had given Beth Sorenson on Highway 42 the day he changed her flat tire.

"This is the worst example of a homemade court order I have seen in forty years on the bench," Judge Stancil confided.

Noticing the quizzical expression on the Sheriff's face Judge Stancil informed him, "It came off a computer Brock."

With a firmer tone he told Sheriff Daniels, "Charge-of-Quarters, Sheriff. Bring the ones behind this counterfeit fraud to me. I assure you they will be going to the yard for a long number of years. Compliments of yours truly!"

Judge Stancil handed the paperwork to the Sheriff.

Taking the papers from the Judge, Sheriff Daniels stated, "Your Honor, this one is on me!"

Sheriff Daniels knew what was contained on his bucket list and the order in which they fell. He wanted out of the courthouse. He wanted the Astatula Assassin case resolved. He definitely wanted the perpetrators behind this sham. But most of all he wanted Cody beside him where he belonged.











Cody's fate is decided after a grueling confrontation with Judge Stancil.

Sheriff Daniels receives a special Charge-of-Quarters from the Judge.









This is Evan, by Lilibug6, selected to compliment my story.

So, thanks Lilibug6, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my little story.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Lilibug6 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.