General Fiction posted April 23, 2016 Chapters:  ...4 5 -5- 5... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Leading Man, Brock Daniels, introduced into story

A chapter in the book Astatula (Final Edition)

Guardian

by Brett Matthew West



Background
The Silent Partners Kid, Cody Schroder, provides insights, and Behind-The-Scenes stories, about the most popular television program of all time.
Aloha! My name is Brock Daniels. Although you have read about me in three of the first four chapters of this book, I have not had an opportunity to formally introduce myself to you. Quite to my surprise, I am Cody Schroder's guardian, friend, confidant, and much more.

I do not say that with any negative connotations. Kids are cute to look at. They are even fun to play with. But, for Pete's sake, let them go home with someone else. I never thought I would ever have another rug-rat terrorizing my humble adobe. Certainly not one I did not beget. And, definitely not after my only offspring died from Meningitis when he was six months old. I believe Beth Sorenson told you his name was Tyler. Tyler Wyatt Daniels, to be exact.

Eight years have passed since that fateful day. However, it might as well have been a million years ago. Truth is losing a child is the kind of pain a parent never gets over. Not a day goes by that I do not remember my son.

After all this time, I still keep his bedroom a memorial full of his pictures, favorite stuffed animals, and, yes, even his medical records and the notice of his death. Morbid? I do not believe so. For all this time it has been me and my memories in peace in a place I call Country Comfort.

I must admit Cody is a wide-eyed monster, and a sponge. He absorbs everything. And, I say that in an affectionate manner. He keeps the place lively. I guess even a young, budding, Television Personality has certain entertainment obligations to fulfill. Most Saturdays are spent with his friends chilling out and doing what his generation does.

Cody is an easily recognized entity. What he really wants to be though is a regular 10-year-old boy. Something his new found fame will not allow him to be. And, that's okay as he is coming to learn with each passing day. And, me? I can not imagine my life without my Little Man in it. It's never boring. That's for sure.

As time went by, and Cody grew into more recognition as the Silent Partners Kid, the three People's Choice Awards, two Oscars, and seven Emmys he, and our television show, won eventually made him Hollywood's Leading Young Actor.

But, we are getting Light Years ahead of ourselves here. So, let's slow down a mite, and tell you how I became Cody's guardian, at a much more relaxed pace. We can do it!

Beth and I were on retreat outside the Vegas Strip at one of our most favorite destinations. After her luncheon with Donna Anderson, and other associates, I could tell something was on her mind, in a very big way.

Therefore, a week's getaway was in order. We travel freely as often as our hectic schedules will allow. And, since the TV series we had been planning to film fell through the cracks, we both could use some down time to recharge our batteries.

We decided my powder-blue Z28 Camaro would suffice for this little excursion. Blaring Merle Haggard's Classic tune "Footlights" on the CD player in the vehicle, we departed Lost Angels, as I prefer to call LA, and headed east. Nice to be able to get up and go. At least, we think so.

The Vegas Strip is aglow 24 hours a day. Our stopping point was the Tropicana. We would check-in to our master suite, the one they always reserve for us. Play some slots and retire for a relaxing evening of what we had been doing for the four glorious years Beth Sorenson and I have been romantically entertaining ourselves with each other. Nothing else I know of eliminates stress better than being wrapped tightly in the arms of love.

And, love Beth Sorenson I do. From the top of her auburn mane to her pretty little pink toenails. There is nothing I would not do for her. Beth was well versed in pleasing this man, especially on a hot afternoon. She did too. Until she dropped the bomb that exploded with a supersonic BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! The crescendoing echo louder as the words spilled out of her sweet-tasting mouth.

Beth sat up in bed. She pulled the sheet up over her breasts and gave me her patented, "I won't take no for an answer" look she is world famous for.

"Beth, do you have any idea what you are asking me to do" I wanted to know.

"Brock, I've known you since before dirt was invented, and I am asking you to do the right thing for you, as well as for Cody Schroder," Beth told me.

"Beth, you know I am 150 thousand percent behind Silent Partners," I gently reminded her, "but, you are asking me to foster a boy I do not even know."

"Brock, Silent Partners is a career-defining role, and no one deserves that more than you," Beth assured me unhesitatingly. Then she wondered, "How much trouble can one 10-year-old orphan boy be?"

I do not know what came over me. Either stars got in my eyes, or rocks got in my head, but, I knew how important Silent Partners was to Beth. The concept consumed her whole heart and soul. Still, I was not sold on the fact of fostering a boy I knew nothing about. Particularly one who had endured so much crisis in his life as this Cody Schroder apparently had experienced.

"Besides, Sweetheart," I said laying back on the oversized bed, "the boy obviously has no acting experience at all. Do you really want to place all your eggs in that basket?"

"Brock, who better to teach him the ropes than you?" Beth replied. And, I could see there would be no changing her mind about this subject. Then she informed me, "He's staying at the Oak Crest Boys Ranch in Mendocino. We meet him, and Judge Brownstone, in his chambers at nine o'clock Monday morning so you can sign the papers."

"Well, you have obviously done your homework," I thought to myself but did not vocalize the comment.

Hearing Beth's announcement, instead I glanced at her in amazement that she had cooked the entire recipe before approaching me about the subject.

Beth reached over and took my hand. She pulled me down on top of her and declared, "You won't regret your decision, Cowboy! Not at all."

Cody really did come to Silent Partners just like that. A fish floundering out of the water. Until he got his feet wet. And, he cried a lot. At first. Every time he would forget a line, or err in some minor way, because he thought all of us were going to be mad at him. Which we never were. We bottle-fed him. We cajoled him. We even changed his diapers when need be. He was a fast learner. And, so talented.

Like they say, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

(We will return after this station break.)




The Strip at Night, by drmerlin, chosen to compliment this part of my story.

So, thanks drmerlin for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my little story.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.